Latest Price Drop on the SC5000 and SC5000M

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 72 hours due to a large number of community flags.

All, please be advised that TVC_Music_Mastering has been removed from this community for inappropriate behaviour and conduct outside of our community guidelines.

Regards J

4 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 3 days.

Thank god! That guy was here for the sole purpose of causing trouble.

3 Likes

And, he was not even right

1 Like

Right or wrong. Negative criticism or not. He took his frustration to the next level and beyond.

Sure, something is not up to par and it’s being worked on, but why so many depressed comments. Why not stay away from it?

Anyway, it’s been dealt with.

Which post are you referring to from him?

He was too OTT for me, seemed like he was from another company, but I’m just a cynic…

I don’t think someone from another company would be so specific in the flaws, which is helpful for fixing those flaws. Pointing out that there appears to be some distortion and additional audio information present not in the original signal was useful information. A competitor has no incentive to point that out unless they have high confidence it can’t be fixed on that model and the model won’t be quickly replaced with something else. I’ve seen no reason to think that’s the case.

He was very specific on his pointing out the flaws that had already been pointed out (smell a weakness), and added nothing new to the argument and was well OTT on his way of speaking. Like I said, I’m very cynical though…

While I had gotten higher than normal distortion numbers using RMAA, particularly intermodulation distortion, no one had posted mastering software spectrographic displays of the distortion noise until he posted it.

That’s why I call Shenanigans - why did this add to the argument when people already knew there was a problem with high end roll off? You’d comprehensively proven it, it didn’t need any further proof.

Because it’s entirely separate from the high-end roll-off. High-end roll-off PLUS additional added distortion in the form of noise that he ran a spectragraph on. All I knew is that the IMD figures were high and it sounded “processed” to me, sort of murky and like it had been transcoded or re-recorded with artifacts… that Torq 2.0-like sound I had mentioned. I couldn’t be more specific than that. I’m not a mastering engineer. So I think it was very useful information he’d posted.

Useful in proving a fault that everyone already knew was there? Once a fault with the audio was acknowledged by Denon, surely their mastering engineers would have addressed it (maybe not) in the update they were already working on? The whole argument was about getting reference grade audio, so it wouldn’t matter if it had 1, 2 or 50 faults, they would have to fix everything and anything to get to reference grade standard. You must have been about the only person, or one of the only people (other than Denon) that did find it useful, as it was meaningless for almost everyone else who just want perfect sound but don’t care how it is achieved but created much more negativity towards the SC5000s.

Then don’t - you’re superior audio knowledge is of no consequence on the internet, in the same way his wasn’t!

Trolls out ! Trolls out !

1 Like

This horse is very much beaten and dead.

I don’t know whether or not (or why) Denon may or may not be lowering prices. But theoretically, it would be a brilliant move to play a long game and just get as many units into as many young / hungry / etc DJs hands and beginner DJs bedrooms as possible . That’s what Apple did in the early 80s (albeit to school kids and after lobbying Congress), at at the very least it kept Apple marketshare respectable until the mid-90s. Price drops don’t necessarily mean problems…they could mean Vision.

As far as I can tell, US sellers are simply re-announcing the original price drop as a way to draw attention to the sc5000s. I’m sure the fact that Pioneer DJ seems totally out to lunch, is also helping Denon DJ - both as evidence that Denon is more ‘in the now’ and because retailers still need stuff to sell and hype. Here’s a fairly typical graphic associated with the sc5000s and “price drops”. (Also,related to the image and imho, the CDJ-2000nxs2 just does not compare to how righteously sick the sc5000 is/can be.)

More realistically I think it might be that if people push two sc5000 and an x1800 together and then look at a Prime 4 and ask what the difference is, there’s not really €2000 difference - not on the surface at least.

I doubt they denon would bring the price of the prime 4 up , so they bring the price of the sc5000 and x1800 down to something slightly more close to a Prime 4.