Key and Preview management of tracks on Denon Vs Pioneer

Interesting video-comparison on the management of the Key and the Preview of the tracks. What do you think? https://youtu.be/ad_7UfxFPMA

I don’t agree with his two “issues”.

Complaining about not being able to reset the key by touching the centre doesn’t make sense to me. IMO you either need to change the key or you don’t. If you want the original key then you don’t need to access that menu at all. If you do need to change key then you can do so.

The preview waveform thing isn’t necessary either IMO. I never choose tracks based on what the waveform looks like. I choose tracks from my knowledge and experience of those tracks.

If I do ever work with tracks I’m not familiar with, then I load them to the deck and listen in my headphones.

Seems like a lot of complaining about nothing to me.

Of course it makes sense, if you are changing the key you may eventually want to return to the original key in a fast way, and sinec you are already touching the screen, it makes sense to have it in the center, and not going to the shift+key reset buttons…

Also, the waveform may not be necessary but useful when searching drops, etc…

In my opinon at least.

5 Likes

This is the part that I can’t fathom. Like I said, either you need to change the key to match the previous track, or you don’t. Either way, there’s no need to reset.

Sometimes I make a 1/32 beat loop or 1/16 beat loop and change down the key each beat by a semitone (to produce a lowering pitch tail-ish sound), and eventually I might want to return to the original key. Some DJ techniques, tricks or procedures may need to change the key of a track/loop quickly, and the fact that you don’t use it doesn’t mean that nobody uses them…

3 Likes

I would like to see more user friendly key control - maybe on screen piano keyboard when in key edit mode…? To jump fast between certain notes…

2 Likes

Likewise, the fact that you choose to mess about with with really short loops doesn’t mean everybody does it.

Ouh come on PK, let people dj as they want. I like to transpose some parts of the tracks even without a loop. Because why not? There will be always an alternative way of using it, that will have sense. And also a nice back to normal button will be very welcome.

3 Likes

I agree with you

Changing key in 3rd, 5ths and 7ths in one press of the button would be cool. Resetting to original key in one shot would be welcomed to. Especially when using loops.

The way it’s set up so far with engine is just to key match the tracks. Engine os can and should do a little more with it though.

4 Likes