Just bought a Prime 4 - Update: just got it now

Hello everyone, greetings from Brazil. Just bought this control surface and cannot wait for it to be delivered. I hope to learn from all the nice folks around here, and maybe also share some experiences with other members. Having started with a pair of Technics turntables and a two channel analog mixer about 40 years ago, I still find it amazing to see how much the art has evolved over the years. I’m now on my late 50s and retired, so I have lots of time available to indulge myself with this new toy. My current controller is a Pioneer DDJ-SX2. Even though I still find excellent for my modest purposes, I could not resist the temptation of looking over to the Denon DJ side of things…

UPDATE: Just got it delivered now. WOW! Updated it (from MacBook Air) to firmware v. 1.3.2 with no problem. Also did not have any trouble importing my Rekordbox collection to Engine Prime and then transferring the Playlist to a SanDIsk UltraFit 32GB USB key. The playlist I transferred had about 800 songs, which of course is very small compared to others here, but I thought it was good to go baby steps in order to familiarize myself with the workflow. Very nice display indeed, better than I imagined. My late 50s eyes thank the developers for the clear large fonts. I can now DJ without the need for eyesight correction glasses! Still have to play for some extra hours to re-train muscle memory for the new location of some controls, but I already love it. Everything seem well thought and well built.

2 Likes

Hi @cesarvog, thanks for posting and congratulations on your new PRIME 4! We have a ton of resources for new PRIME 4 members, check out our Getting Started with PRIME 4 page to start learning!

Thanks, @Nekoro_DenonDJ. Looking forward to playing with this awesome piece of equipment.

1 Like

You will love it. Most have minor issues, with a big one being the incorrect BPM on certain genres of music and the Engine Prime software itself. The unit is almost flawless and upgrade-able for most of the functions and features.

Careful, it will keep you up all night with enjoyment.

1 Like

Haven’t suffered the incorrect BPM issue so far. For tunes that have variable bpm (because of variable tempo caused by human drummers), I usually run them through Melodyne first, so I can “fix” the drifting tempo first. I have just installed the 1.4 Beta firmware and played just 4 tunes from Tidal, without any problem. Will play a little more over the weekend.

1 Like