Jogwheel response when released, option to ignore inertia when vinyl mode is enabled

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have? In the Prime 4 when vinyl mode is enabled and you throw the joghweel backwards for some scratching tricks, the reproduction does not start agin until the jogwheel is completely stopped, even if you released your hand from the top plate of the jogwheel. This makes impossible to perform some scratching techniques. In other digital players and controllers, the reproduction of the track starts again a few milliseconds after you release the hand of the cogwheel, ignoring the inertia of the joghweel movement. In fact, if you map the Prime 4 in controller mode in any software, the jogwheel behaves that way, but not when the Prime 4 is used in standalone mode. ÂżWhy not set an option on the preferences for selecting if the joghweel must react to the inertia or not?
  • How will this feature help you and others? This feature would help a lot to make the Prime 4 much more usable for performing scratching techniques.
  • Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product? Not sure, I think no.
  • Does a workaround currently exist? Mapping the Prime 4 in controller mode makes the jog behave this way, but that behaviour is not available in standalone mode.
  • How often would you use this feature? Every day.
  • Is there any additional information you’d like to add? I can send you if you want a video showing the difference of using the jogwheel for scratching techniques in standalone mode and how it changes when you use it in controller mode and the jog ignores the inertia.
5 Likes

Wouldn’t this create sticker drift, when the jogwheel is still moving but the track position isn’t being influenced by the wheels rotation position?

Sticker drift is more commonly an issue with moving platters, vinyl emulation, and DVS, not jogwheels, though occasionally poor jog mapping or jog display/LED representation of cue markers can drift. The latter is not going to be any more of an issue just because the moment the music picks back up has changed, though. The Prime series’ jog displays don’t seem to have much sticker drift and this wouldn’t cause more. For that matter, the M also does not have drift as, for instance, the old 5500 had at the beginning of tracks if you scratched back.

By the way, a similar feature request already exists for the separates…

https://denondjforum.com/t/virtual-slipmat-friction-and-scratch-start-settings-in-utility-preferences-on-touch-units/

1 Like

I think it would not.

This is one thing that I find harder when transitioning to the Prime 4. Backspins into a cue point don’t work as the player has to fully stop before they can be executed and this isn’t how a usual controller works and can take some of the creativity away. Being able to ignore any motion if the cue point has been pressed would be great. This is how almost every other device works.

I guess the bigger question is, how would the P4 know the difference between when you’ve just stopped scratching (although the jog is still in motion) and when your nudging the deck to speed up/down slightly? Both of these scenarios involve the jog moving without any top touch. I fully agree with pressing cue points, the jog motion should be ignored and playback starts right away.