Is there a database limitation on EP 1.3.3?

Hi All,

The short version on my attempts to convert to EP from Traktor

First Attempt:

1. Tried the EP way to drag and drop from the Traktor import icons and update the database in EP.
  2. While the lists import well, in ok fashion and relatively quick, songs need to completely be re-analyzed (yes, I get it, everyone does it differently, that’s just the way it is.)
  3. For the most part, it took all of my 35K songs. But I get the impression that I’m not grasping the concept of a crate well and getting the impression that my files are copied twice over into my P4

Second Attempt (Start from scratch):

(Note: I made an integral copy of my mp3 files on a new drive and am using this)

1. Direct import into EP by files only.
  2. Let it run overnight
  3. Next morning, EP crashed and will not re-open (crashes as it loads)
  4. EP loads after a reboot, but once I click the collection, it crashes db file sizes (in the Engine Library folder) is approximately 3.5GB for both p.db and sp.db

Is this a limitation on the fat32 or exFat partition ?

@Marty_Cruze Yes there is a limit when your drive is in Fat32 format. File sizes are limited to 4gb in Fat32. From what you describe, it sounds exactly like the problem I had when my drive was in Fat32 format. I highly recommend using ExFat format instead. You should have better luck with that. I still can’t understand why DenonDj don’t make a “sticky” informing people of this limitation!!

Yes, thanks @crazycraig. In my 3rd attempt, I went to exFAT. That seems to have resolve the issue.

As for the rest, more posts to come :wink:

A software that crashes is buggy. I’m so tired of blaming the drives of bugs and soddy behaviour of EP… If the library hits a documented limitation of any kind, such as the required filesystem of the drive, it should inform the user and fail gracefully.

The crashes, frozen screens and unacceptable processing times of EP are issues and bugs, and cannot be justified by the brand or format of the drive used.

When working with FAT32 removable storage devices, one can estimate when the database is close to the limit using Denon DJ statement that the database will eat up approximately 200 Mb per 1000 songs, but this can vary greatly depending on the length of tracks in the collection. So a rough estimation will be to keep a close eye on database files size when the audio files on the removable device approach approximately 20000 tracks.

Also keep in mind Denon DJ library optimization advices, for removing garbage details and information no longer in use from the database.

At the same time we are advised to use no more than 10000 audio files on a removable storage, in order to keep the combined database files size under 2.4 GB, when we intend to use the SC5000 players in shared mode.

One last piece of advice: after database and audio files are exported to the removable storage device, ensure that you make your files contiguous.

well @Canaris: I guess that’s a sign of cleaning up the deadbeat songs… as a club and mobile DJ, I’m sort of disappointed at some of the limitations we’re faced with now. I was really looking forward to not carry a powerful laptop around…

The FAT32 filesystem, with all its limitations, is recommended if you want to use the removable storage device on other competitors players also, like Pioneer. If, on the other hand, you choose to use the removable storage device only with your Prime equipment, then you can use the exFAT filesystem which doesn’t have the limitations mentioned above. However, keeping the removable storage database well maintained and within the suggested parameters will ensure good operating performance. However, it is a good idea to keep a good pc at hand also, especially when you are a mobile DJ and you have to work with a very large and diverse music genres database, because its hardware power is superior and offers more flexibility.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.