Is their a possible Prime 4 refresh coming out soon?

Hi I am new here and I have never mixed before but I am wanting to learn so I wanted to ask if anyone knows the timelines for model replacement updates in general on when they do refreshes updates on products because if its a possibility it will be next year I do not mind waiting for it. I just do not want to buy one now and then a new one comes out in 2-4 months.

Generally speaking the Prime 4 being updated or refreshed.

There may well be some Denon employees who know what’s coming - but they would be sworn to secrecy.

There’s no way anyone from Denon would tell us that kind of info.

People here were asking recently for info on bug fixes and forthcoming features, and were told in no uncertain terms that they can’t/won’t disclose anything.

If I am correct, these have been the release dates for “Prime” products so far:

January 2017: SC5000, X1800, VL12

August 2018: SC5000M

January 2019: Prime 4

January 2020: SC6000, SC6000M, X1850, Prime 2, Prime GO

April 2021: LC6000

Currently, I think the entire planet is in a crisis of electronic devices manufacturing and also shipping. But I could be wrong…

3 Likes

If we all held out for “the next one” we’d buy nothing and miss everything

3 Likes

:DREAM: Prime 4 Motorized Platter edition :drooling_face: :END DREAM:

1 Like

I did wonder when the White Prime 4 dropped. …looks like a good way to get a few more sales out of the current model, before the next one turns up.

with rotary faders?

Nah… just the vinyl touch motorized platters like the SC6000 has the SC6000M version…

I would switch in a heartbeat!

1 Like

It’s certainly possible. The MCX8000 was released in early-2016 with the Prime 4 three years later. SC6000s also released three years after the SC5000s. So if we go by historically, then yes it’s entirely possible the Prime 4 gets refreshed in early-2022. But practically, I don’t know how much more they could upgrade the Prime 4 as it’s already ahead of any gear on the market. Motorized/bigger jogs would be my best guess but if that’s the case, the Prime X would be at likely a much higher price point as to not cut into the remaining Prime 4 market.

of course, maybe optional motorized platters, maybe a bigger Touchscreen and more reliable pro faders

1 Like

drop in some more quality eq knobs and it would be a keeper!

2 Likes

Bigger screen - not needed, bigger jog wheels + pro faders - yes, please. Motorized platters - also good. Better fx section, higher quality components - of course…

2 Likes

Has anyone heard any news updates yet on a prime 4 successor? If y’all do please update this topic I do not come on here Every day.

looks like that the P guys picked up some of our ideas faster and took them into the REV7 Controller. Oh noo, just another laptop controller for Serato…

Hope that Denon has something better in common’

2 Likes

I like the Prime AiOs so far, they are still pretty new (2019/2020) and the power of Engine OS allows Denon to implement amazing new features into the existing hardware. I can’t emphasize enough how important this aspect is (software vs firmware). Big kudos to Denon for that!

Now, personally I don’t care much about motorized jogs myself, but I understand the appeal. If I were a product designer / manager at Denon, this is how I would imagine my dream P4 MK2 / P8:

• Keep the overall unit size the same (we still want it portable!)
  • Same screen, but 50% brighter and with smaller bezels, so it sticks less out
  • Jog size increased from 6" to 7" + tension adjust + motorized option
  • One global EFX bank which takes less place, but can be assigned to multple channels, mic, crossfader or master, with one unified, big OLED screen and Hi/Mi/Low buttons
  • Feedback reducer for the Mics
  • All SweepFX working with external sources
  • More robust play/cue buttons (like on the SC6000)
  • More robust line faders (and easier to replace)
  • Stop Time adjust knob (like on the Prime 2)
  • Less green buttons (like on the Prime 2, e.g. Pitch Bend)
  • VU meters in green-yellow-red
  • Metal brushed instead of glossy surfaces
  • Illuminated and bigger auto loop encoder
  • Xfader contour knob on the front: retractable or more flat
  • Booth as 6.3" TRS instead of XLR (like every other brand)
  • Better switches for CF assign and inputs (like on the DJMs)
  • No cold reboot when switching to Serato (like the MCX8000 did)
  • All major user requests (like Sampler, RGB waveforms, jog displays, etc.)
  • Personally: Plug n’ play with popular drum machines like Roland TR-8/S

That should cover most details :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Prime 4 and all prime models are expensive and still new. White version came on market. Of course technology goes on but I think that many future firmware updates can make prime better.

1 Like

Guess I’ll keep waiting then for a new model. I’m not a big fan of buying new 1st gen tech mainly because of problems like most members are experiencing.

What you see here is posts from people who have problems, because it’s the people who have problems that post (to complain). What you don’t see here is the vast majority of other users who don’t have any problems.

So, going by forum posts alone, it looks as if there are lots of problems - but actually they’re few and far between.

4 Likes

Have to agree with PK here. Also, technology-wise the Prime 4 is mostly based on the SC5000, which was released two years prior. Hence, its more like a “1.5st gen tech” and already proven. If there is anything to critizise in terms of reliability, I would list:

• Play/cue buttons are mediocre (but fine as long you dont slam them)
  • Line faders are more fragile than on Pioneer devices and harder to replace
  • Not sure about the “View” button since it now covers way more functions than before

Leaving that aside, the Prime 4 is a tank. Almost entirely made of metal, unlike those DDJ and XDJ plastic-bombers. Certain advanced features like full track or power buffering add to that.

You say it’s based off the sc5000 and the sc6000 Is out now so what’s the changes from the sc5000 and sc6000?