Intermediate +/- 6 % pitch value

I must admit that the fact that you can set the pitch value to +/- 4% offers a remarkable precision. But sometimes the next track you want to match has a much lower or higher BPM which requires you to switch to +/- 8% which is less accurate.

Why not propose the intermediate value of +/- 6% which allows to extend the BPM range without losing too much precision.

Moreover, a lot of pioneer CDJ users like to use the +/- 6% range. And I think it would allow many of them to migrate to Denon products without losing their habits.

And I don’t think it’s something that’s very difficult to implement. And it would be much more useful than +/- 20, +/- 50 or +/- 100 % ranges that almost nobody ever uses.

13 Likes

More, the better indeed.

How about Denon add a dial in BPM range.

You long press “BPM range” and rotate the parameter knob to choose ANY number between 1 and 100 (probably only even numbers).

That way, if your mixing style absolutely needs a 22% bpm range and neither 20% or 24% will do it for you, then you just dial in 22%

I suppose in some really dull genres of music, you’d need a 2% range :laughing:

4 Likes

It is a good idea. Maybe make a feature request out of it, if it’s not there yet. More options for any users are always good to have.

I got mine about a week ago and it was one of the first things I thought. I wouldn’t exactly call it a problem as the pitch faders are the best ive used since technics, so they are a joy to use, but i have been using +/- 6% for a while and I find it perfect for what I’m mixing.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the pitch resolution is at pioneers +- 6% ?

Is it actually any finer resolution than a Prime @ 8% ?

I think pitch resolution is 0.02 @ 6 % on CDJ.

Although the resolution is similar to the current 8% range, in practice at 6% the fader travel is longer, and therefore the pitch adjustment is faster and more accurate

Adding a 6% would not add much compared to the classic 8%, but it would easily replace the 4% which is a bit limited. And the pio coincidence :slight_smile:

A 16% could be useful in extreme cases (key lock on), but I never use 20 to go beyond 12…

50 and 100% have limited use, but they allow to halve or double the tempo, not to mention that they demonstrate the excellent quality of the DSP!

Funnily at -100% the track is still playing!

Depends on genre, for techno/house/melodic/progressive 4% is great…high pitch resolution. I always play with 4%

1 Like

Also wading in to add my support for a 6% option. Simply to bridge the gap in experience between practising at home on our own Denon systems and then having to use Pioneer/other stuff at venues which tend to have 6% as the smallest range.

As much as I’m sure we’d all love to be at the level of having our own rider and insist on using Denon/Engine at gigs :smiley: more often than not I find myself forced to use a venue backline, or whatever a headliner has requested

I suppose the problem is that the % pitch is of the original track BPM. Where as many DJs today play a fixed pitch through-out the night. This causes problems, where there is a large tempo difference, but you still need precision. Like you’re playing 130bpm and you want to slide in a deep house track, or you are doing some sort of live mashup. Personally I do it either with the pitch shift buttons or the platter. However, I can see that a virtual ZERO % on the deck, perhaps in settings, could be very useful. Say Virtual ZERO setting, 128bpm would make it so that all tracks loaded with an BPM offset having 128bpm now as as the new ZERO % on the pitch control.