Inconsistent Jog Wheel Tension

My preference of tension is on the tighter side and the Sc5000 players dont disappoint. My problem with them is the tenstion wont stay consistant after the mid way mark on the adjust knob. For example, when beat matching my third or fourth nudge may requires alot more pressure. I also noticed the tensions difference in the same spot of the rotation if i manually spin the wheel a few full rotations. Additionally my second player does the same thing but not so much that I notice while in the mix.

Anybody else experence this ?

Yes, units are swapped and issue still same but retailer says they cant do any thing about it now cause they already swapped them. So same still inconsistent te Simon on the platter same as you described

Thanks for the feedback, you saved me the hassle of trying to get it replaced. Sure is dissapointing that there is no solution.

Well i was very early to get mine, so maybe i got replacement from the same faulty first batch… I read other comments that the platters should not have that issue so they might have fixed it later on or it is just something that can happen… I still hope there Will be a fix cause it is super annoying yes.

I had one of mine fairly early also and that one has a little of this too.

Yes having the same problem on both my decks. They where sent back to Denon to look at and repair which took most of March and when they came back still the same issue.One of the decks had loose screws rattling around in the bottom which gave me cause for concern which denon have been made aware of.I have asked for the decks to be replaced waiting to see what happens.

If I may ask a question is it normal that once you have hit the 3rd tension setting that the platters take on a lot of friction and become inconsistent rubbing and feeling awkward to rotate back and too, juts wondering I presume its a factory flaw or specific design, is this true for other users, making only the first 3 tension settings with the 3rd being just about acceptable ??

Yep both plays are the same. Mine are forever set to 3.

1 Like

Yes, same here, it should be smooth all way round but is inconsistent in higher tension past 3.

1 Like

I see what you mean with inconsistent resistance and the higher settings being problematic. That said, I like my resistance low, and even then all three players have slightly different rotation resistance on the lowest setting. The oldest is quite loose and smooth, while the newest has been the highest friction yet. I can mostly offset this by tweaking the higher resistance ones’ tension knob back and forth until some of the mystery friction goes away and/or turn the looser one up in resistance a bit. Not perfect, but pretty close. The newest one also had weird extra slight resistance when pushing down on the platter like it wasn’t sufficiently lubed or something, but tweaking that tension knob back and forth finally got that to go away I think.

I opened my player today because I had to swap out both the cue button micro switch and the button itself. It was a hell of an operation and I hope none of you have to do so soon. While the unit was open I wanted to investigate on the varying platter tension too. What I found didn’t make me all that happy. There was a lot of abrasion of the plastic break which regulates the tension inside the whole player. The problem with the varying tension results in the break shaving off layers of plastic of the jogwheel in an uneven way because you usually move the platter back and forth within a small region instead of turning it 360° all the time, which would result in equal abrasion. What helped was a proper cleaning and some grease. I achieved a much more equal feel especially in the higher tension settings, which i prefer. That being said, my deck is’t that old, neither used a lot. Broken buttons and worn out platter break at this point worry me a little…

2 Likes

Maybe my units with more tension will eventually lose that extra tension. Maybe the varying tension is caused by the inability to get the tension knob low enough and the brake assembly is still rubbing up against stuff more than it should even on minimum setting. I’m worried about plastic shavings being in there, though. That can’t be good.

literally shaving off pieces? thats crazy, that can’t be good in a few months or a year out if thats true

1 Like

Did anyone get any feedback from support on this ? I too have noticed this on my recent purchase of refurbished units.

Jemabaris, could use some help here. I’m trying to do the same fix, but i’ve just about taken the whole unit apart to try and detach the jog wheel, and I’m coming up blank. I’ve removed just about everything including the main pcbs, and while I’ve been told that removing the large nut in the center would allow me to get into the jog, all it seem to do is hold the jog wheel screen in place. Any pointers?

same here on my two players sc-5000

Other than being bit-perfect at zero pitch, the other advantage to Pioneers is that CDJs seem to have been designed for ease of servicing with almost a similar mentality in that regard to the venerable SL-1200.

Guy asks about pointers for disassembling a Denon unit from another user and you step in with info about…advantages of Pioneer units? What is your problem? Is it not enough for you to necrobump old threads with 0 revelant posts?

2 Likes

RetroDully strikes again. :face_with_monocle: