I cant buy a sc5000m if bpm analysis is not working correctly

Im way beyond the “A proper dj uses his ears” argument, I am a proper working dj who chooses not to use his ears anymore after using his ears for 20 years and i make no apologies for that.

I really want to get this 5000m and lose the laptop and quite frankly look more professional on high end gear, ive just learnt some basic scratching and i can see this being a logical jump from the small spinning platters of the S4 mk3 to the denon unit.

dont worry folks you cant offend me, ive been kicking round forums for years and owned most gear worth talking about including the first spinning dual layer platter from denon the DN-S500 and the spinning DN-3500 plus the dnd9000 dual cd deck.

anyone who does’nt care for sync should go back and try mixing on the dual layers of the dns5000 manualy, ooh what fun that was (lol)

BPM detection is the fundamental part of any modern deck, as is sound quality! come on denon sort it out!! im ready to purchase!

5 Likes

And I have no problem at all with that, hence why I suggested a controller instead; the SCs are overkill if you want a computer to mix for you. The Prime 4 is a perfect solution though…

my shifts are 6 hours on a friday and 7 hours on a saturday, i will not be using my ears thank you. i already have a controller but i want higher end gear because its my job and my hobby.

believe me theres more to being a great dj than manually beat matching, do we really need to go there? the argument is out dated friend.

edit: i do use my ears to nudge tracks that the grid is still slighly and to take amazing requests of drunk people

1 Like

Back in the my vinyl and cd wallet days i used to write the bpm on the sleeve. Trusty old Casio calculator to the rescue.

Guess i was doing it wrong…some vinyl singles had the bpm on it as well.

Just saying

if the grid is wrong so are your hot cues, loops and fx etc etc.

you dont buy this kind of equipment to use it as if it where a technics 1210, i cant believe the out dated views on here i really cant.

3 Likes

I miss my Realistic mixer (sigh), it was a simpler time.

1 Like

i miss tandys that used to stock the realistic mixers or radio shack if your in the usa, great times!

2 Likes

BPM analysis is a feature of these products, if it can/should be improved, why shouldn’t it be?

Why some people lose sight of that is beyond me [SMH]

2 Likes

HA! Mine was Gemini but yes, I always hate that I sold it long ago. Lots of good memories. And good memories of going with my dad to a big electronics show where I got it. Good times indeed. BUT! That was then! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When they’re inaccurate, they’re usually just offset from the actual downbeat or a multiple of the real BPM, which means they are rarely completely useless for FX and loops.

1 Like

I’m astounded how quickly this discussion escalated. It was simply about the problem of importing a large library into Engine Prime and not wanting to correct the bpm information manually.

All the features of modern Audio gear that the Primes offer are *Nice ingredients” but when they become essential alternatives to skills then, well, it’s a possible onset of music playing laziness. Which would be a shame.

Sometimes a track can have a bpm that matches what you’re playing, a sympathetic key, matching tightly sync’d grids, phases and phrased .and yet still won’t “go” together. As the maths and numbers can fail, ears should always be the primary skill enabler to drive a bigger wedge between the DJs and the button pushers.

1 Like

This really turned into a philosophical discussion of technology :smile:

In ancient Greece people where complaining fiercely about the advent of musical instruments. They thought music should only be made with human voices.

Technology is not the problem. How it’s used is. :wink:

Which of those has the ears ?

The advent of musical instruments changed things, but it didn’t lower the bar, make things easier, and allow people to suddenly pretend to sing by playing an instrument while pumping their fists in the air.

Imagine the outrage this caused with ‘proper’ singers :smile:

edit: I’m not saying anything for the playlist kind of DJ, just making the point that you can use technology for better or worse.

Not too long ago, music had to be made manually on every occasion.

Now that’s an interesting point, both from a recording perspective as well as the electronic music side that later allowed the option of removing the performer & performance from the equation altogether… in some respects I’d argue getting further away from the transient, fickle stardom and image contest to something perhaps more pure, studio-based, and under the control of the composer/producer, making them a real auteur from inception to end-listener.

Now that I think of it, though, then we ended up with electronic music producers eventually using turnkey laptop-style DJ gear to pretend they’re DJs in a live environment instead of really working, creating, live producing on-the-fly like they used to, and back we are again with the lazy BPM counters, moving waveforms, and fist pumping again with a whole other group of people added to the scene. First the newbs came for our timeslots, then the producers pretending to DJ came for them, too.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children

No doubt the spirit of the very first homosapien who thought to make some deliberate set of sounds for a purpose other than pragmatic, immediate communication is totally disgusted with how twisted and perverted his invention has turned into.* But to my fellow perverters I say: three cheers for @Shain and his first comment on this post. And while i do enjoy a good thread about how much technology is too much technology, etc., the main reason I think shains point is a good one is because, and hopefully this is true, Denon is reading these posts and taking note. As its often pointed out, unlike those untouchable pioneers of the DJ player/software whom don’t have to really even listen to their users (fr now), it is in Denon’s best interest (and it’s the ‘best’ of best interest, ie. economic self-interest) to keep tabs on complaints/gripes/feelings about their new Prime Ecosystem investment. If no one had complained about how hard it was to move objects by pushing, the wheel might never have been invented. * [obviously I’m employing sarcasm here and there…everyone knows it was touching a large, non-earthborn monolith that gave us these abilities]

6 Likes

A proper dj does use his ears that’s true!

When I dj I use my ears to hear requests from hot chicks and I also use them to hear their e-mail/spacebook/ph#

I use my ears to listen when the waitress asks if I want a next drink.

Oh and I also use my ears to find the right time to press play when SYNC’d lol

So there ya go ha!

Hopefully you guys heard me through your headphones.

6 Likes

It was actually some guy that doesn’t own the gear :thinking:, saying he wouldn’t buy it because the least important part of the gear wasn’t as good as it was on Traktor. Now if he’d learnt to use his ears…:crazy_face: