Good monitor speakers for x1850?

You can always get powered pa speakers to do the job. That way you can take them out also and do other things.

The ones I use are the Nx600 yorkville. It has excellent frequency range and response and can be used outdoors in less than ideal weather conditions. I’m not recommending them cause they’re big and unpowered but they’re very light. It’s just what I use.

Using PA speakers for home monitoring is not recommended.

They use compression drivers for the high end, which are notorious for sounding harsh and metallic (because they are metallic). They’re also designed for medium/long throw, whereas monitors are near field. Also unlikely to have as flat a frequency response as monitors.

1 Like

@yoyoma if above opinions have not helped you narrow your choice, you might want to share your budget. As it stands, we can keep going on and on about different speakers but with a budget in mind, you might find more people or opinions leaning towards a particular brand.

Good luck

2 Likes

Not everybody buys home monitors for their dj sets for monitoring. Powered pa speakers are a legit option so are home theatre hi fi systems.

Good powered pa speakers are expen$ive though but here are 2 examples of what I know most in my area use.

Depends what you need em for. For a desk, living room, basement ect.

https://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/parasource/product/ps12p/

https://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/elite/product/ef10p/

1 Like

That’s exactly why I made the statement. It’s the wrong tool for the job. He can buy what he wants, but my advice (and the general consensus if you research) is that PA speakers are not a good choice for that purpose.

I understand. I’m glad the op found what he’s looking for. Just saying that powered pa speakers being poor sound quality while generally true doesn’t mean that there aren’t some that can’t meet the studio monitor threshold.

I think I shared good examples for anyone who’s interested in a speaker for long throw and a compact one for small throw (that could possibly meet his needs? others too?) that can actually double for studio monitors.

That’s all.

I never had monitors as I mixed in ears. Noise was always an issue but that changed late last year. When I finally got some space I decided to go cheap. It was for home use and I wasn’t producing so looked at what I could get for around £250 a pair.

I know what a lot of people will say but I ended up getting a pair of Mackie CRX-5 and I’m actually really really happy with them. For playback they are great and pack a punch for the money. They aren’t seriously pro but ideal for what I need and the green stripe compliment the Denon DJ setup.

I didn’t want the KRKs and while I looked at the Adam monitors they was just a little too much for just DJing with. Had I been producing then I could have grabbed some. I found the Mackie’s and they came in at £135 as I got 30% off them in a Black Friday sale.

And the green black color goes well with the denon gear :wink:

I would also like to add +1 to an opinion that sometimes powered 8" PA speakers are a better overall choice that studio monitors. If you have 0 desire to produce music and have a larger room to use them in.

1 Like

For long time I used to have my dj gear in the living room, so my home cinema system was the main PA for fun at home. Did the job with enough bass. But studio room and speakers sound better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.