I took My SC6000’s out to their first gig this weekend… Previous to these I was using Traktor with the Kontrol S8. So quite the difference in how these two platforms work.
I find the search times of the SC6000’s to be slooooow! I am using the 2.0 update, I carry an internal 2TB SSD hard drive in one player, with them networked together. For a mobile DJ, this isn’t a huge collection. But, throughout my first gig, I found the Engine DJ software running the players took almost as long as a radio edit to find the next track. I nearly ran out of time on more than one occasion. Cue points or loop points were out the window for the whole night, I just gave up trying to play the way I am used to.
I am used to doing a lot of chopping and changing, using cue points (get on to that in a minute) but I found myself really struggling to just punch in an artist name or track title and have it pop up on the screen in the time I need.
Before taking them out for their first gig I did read the manual and each time I had only the search field I was using selected to reduce the processing power required. But it still took far too much time to find the track I was looking for.
After about an hour I realized I have to navigate to the parent folder and then search for the track and it works much faster. But for me, this takes equally as much time.
In Traktor I just typed in the artist name and song title, less than half a second later it was up, loaded in a deck, and ready to go. My old mac book was the minimum spec for Traktor too, so it’s pretty old. I would really expect the SC6000, flagship model players to at least be a bit snappier on finding the track I am looking for.