Firmware upgrades via WiFi

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have? The ability to upgrade the firmware on the players via WiFi.

• How will this feature help you and others? Easier firmware upgrading. More professional.

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product? As having WiFi access on players is a new thing, thanks to Denon - there are no other players that have this facility.

• Does a workaround currently exist? N/A

• How often would you use this feature? As often as firmware releases are offered.

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add? N/A

4 Likes

Not sure it would be safe

1 Like

Wifi driver could be updated when the software update is made, so it would be not possible to run it through wifi. Such delicate thing as a software update should be done with the most safe medium possible.

I can’t think why two methods of update preference are not enough, sorry

Current update possibilities are more than fine for me. What could be nice is an automatic notification that there is an update available when connected online

2 Likes

I would envisage that the file would be downloaded to internal storage first, before the upgrade process is initiated so in essense, it differs little from how we do it now, except the WiFi option removed the need to copy it to USB sticks first. It would be perfectly safe, and is how we update most of our computer equipment currently, including the laptops and computers we all use to post replies in here.

I do like the notification thing too, but would prefer the ability to download upgrades without having to have the right USB stick with the right formatting on it.

I’m ok with the blue cable update method. Wouldn’t want the firmware writers diverting their attention from “critical” things to “already got two methods of doing the same thing” until the important stuff is out the way. After that, sure, lazy is cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

OK - not for you then, but that doesn’t mean its a bad idea - just that you don’t like it, which is fair enough, of course.

Lots of negativity here, guys. I am just trying to suggest things that I think are good ideas, the functionality of which I would definitely use - there’s no need to bash my idea - all that does is make me think twice about suggesting something else. If you don’t like the idea, thats absolutely fine, but there really is no need to tell us - it serves little purpose.

So long as a reason is given about why other people don’t applaude a particular idea, then discussion is not only a good thing, but discussion is also what a forum is all about, yes?

People have responses to your idea of firmware updates via WiFi with points of view of:

1. There’s already 2 ways of upgrading firmware already.

2. Might not be as safe to update from WiFi as it is from usb or pc link

3. adding a third update method could slow down other, more critical, more desired features being worked on and included in earlier firmware updates; More accurate bpm analysis for example.

Sorry - I dont accept safety as a reason, as its just as safe as how we do things currently. Remember this when you upgrade your Mac or PC.

Just because we can do it in one way, doesn’t make another more streamlined way bad at all.

I am not aware of the workload of the team at Denon, and nor is anyone else here that doesnt work for Denon, so I cant see how others can suggest how their workload is distributed,

I accept your points, and respectfully disagree with all of them.

I don’t think it to work. The 5000 certainly have lots of RAM for loading whole songs into memory from USB or Tidal all at once on two layers, maybe 8gb even, so a firmware update could load in from WiFi and sit in RAM.

But, RAM is volatile memory, so it empties itself when power is off, and part of the firmware update process is a power off and reboot, which would lose the firmware update from RAM.

A lot of this above is theory for me, but even if RAM did hold the upgrade through a power off, I’m can’t see any real problem with the other two methods of firmware upgrade.

I was looking at using disk space rather than RAM, due to the volatility (as you mentioned).

Hmm. Not sure that they really have that much RAM, as they can’t even buffer an entire track completely over the Link that’s larger than about 270MB. I thought I heard it’s got a similar ARM chip to the Akai Force, and that only has 2GB of RAM.

Anyway, I don’t quite see what RAM size really has to do with this subject. As far as we know, the USB flash drive update method using an img file doesn’t continue to load anything from that drive after power off, so I don’t have any reason to believe the USB cable method is doing much different. I suppose if people want to risk updates over WiFi, it’s up to them to try it if it’s ever implemented. Considering InMusic just activated WiFi on the players, it seems a bit premature to be expecting that to be entertained so soon even with the notification placeholder that’s been there since the beginning.

For that matter, speaking of risk relating to updates… I can’t help but think my prior request for an owner lockout really ought to include the ability to prevent updates.

2 Likes

That’s not strictly speaking true - unless you were streaming the update files 1 by 1, which is generally not done. Even then it’s still not really true as the WiFi driver is contained in the compiled zImage (Linux kernel) which is flashed as a whole.

What could theoretically happen is that if the kernel was distributed separately from the ramdisk and the ramdisk/init files change some parameters or permissions that cause the old driver in the old kernel not to work.

What you would do instead is download the update to a temporary location then reboot and apply the update. This method is perfectly safe - Android has been using this for OTA updates since it’s release.

Like!

• OTA-Updates are state of the art
  • Player has the possibility to write to any connected device (especially for recording purposes) - so it should be possible to download the update, verify and install it upon user’s request