Firmware update thoughts

“Your post was flagged by the community”.

No profanity was used

Loads of emojis

Light humor

:yum:

That has never been an issue. Since this forum started they (denon officials) have always been very active.

Different story when it comes to tech/development/updates (which is the primary reason i suppose we post here)

Hopefully the tech dept gets a huge chunk of that new new money and not just the PR dept.

If I watch one more review video of the prime4 I may genuinely lose my mind.

Maybe it’s a completely new rewrite.

2 Likes

People who flag posts that are not baseless personal attacks, vulgarity, or some other violation of community standards here ought to have their ability to flag posts revoked. Mob mentality nonsense.

4 Likes

Why this post is flagged btw?

I had the exact same feeling earlier today… I was like “come on…how many videoes can you make, showing the exact same things”…

1 Like

It’s funny :joy:

There are some people saying that there’s not enough videos for the prime 4.

It just shows everyone has their own opinion.

What’s even more hilarious…I was at brunch last weekend eating porridge with a good friend of mine DJ AU-E-LOX and she was just saying that she thinks that there are just the right amount of videos for the Prime 4 out there. Crazy times we live in.

I agree, and one of yours was flagged in a post against me on a different thread!!!

I didn’t even think it was that bad…

Personally if the OP or the reply makes a complaint, it’s hard to argue that they haven’t been made to feel bad, but then people need to toughen up a little and realise that it’s simply an Internet forum. Too many posts flagged on here of late, no understand why for any that I’ve read.

2 Likes

No complaint here

Maybe its denon officials flagging.

This is the 2nd time being flagged/post hidden

The First time, I received a PM from Staff.

:joy:

I think they are on episode 13 of the 14 part tutorial for the Prime4.

Maybe they will start shipping after the season finale - episode 14

Hopefully there is no Season 2

I have absolutely zero interest or plan to purchase the Prime4…but its beginning to look like if that doesn’t get released the 5000 and EP is not getting updated.

If this is confirmed in the timing of the updates…then Houston we got a problem.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same view on things… Zero interest in prime 4 but it seems everything else is depending on its release. Kinda worrying.

This topic should be up for an award of most hijacked or most off topic topic. Lol

The topic title is firmware update thoughts but goes into community flagging and then some Hunch about the Prime 4 making other products ignored, then prime 4 videos, and lord knows whatever else.

As topics go , it’s deffo diverse , we can say that much ha :slight_smile:

1 Like

I kind of like this thread - it has a dysfunctional and damaged yet caring extended family vibe about it. Like a sitcom that gets canceled on CBS before it ever airs yet the episodes randomly appear online and everyone is like “wow that show could have been amazing…”

So I’m thinking we all get t-shirts with this thread printed on them front and back. Or, everyone can send me like $XX and I’ll send you most of the shirt and then I promise to never use such a clumsy, heavy handed, analogy again (I should flag myself for that one, sorry).

Anywayz…if anyone is getting restless, I suggest picking up an Akai Force so you can jump into various AF forums and join their “firmware update thoughts” type threads.

Though I love both Denon DJ’s and Akai Force’s ‘Speculation On the Coming Firmware (that will fix everything and anything and rainbows, etc)’ communities, it’s super interesting what the differences/similarities are in tone and seriousness and expectation and desperation between our two camps. Apparently my posts are a little on the long-ish side so I’ll save my learn-ed observations for a latter (later?) post. xoxoxo, matt+

PS. I thought of an even worse heavy handed, clumsy, obvious and lame analogy to frame our very traumatic first world situation: my inside guy says that he is 1000% for sure that tomorrow IS THE DAY FOR THE FIRMWARE UPGRADES TO ARRIVE!!! I kind of believe him this time, because I do not suffer fools gladly.

1 Like

I’ve been djing for years and buying equipment for longer. It’s only in the past 2 or 3 years that I’m experiencing this new trend of manufacturers releasing incomplete products and promising to release firmware to implement basic things.

This is all new to me.

Not only does it make the user have a frustrating experience, it’s also a waste of resources for a company tbh.

Sit down, design & release a proper product in the first place. If the technical know how is not available in house…outsource till you can manage…Mixvibes designed early Rekordbox I believe.

7 Likes

Hmmmmmmmm the site is all a mess right now and says will be down on 4/2. Not getting hopes up, NOT getting hopes up!!! lol

That is a rare stance for any company now. Cars get updates to their engine management systems, operating systems on PCs get lots of changes, even TVs and smart speakers.

Don’t understand how the engineer of denon team didn’t think the horizontal waveform is the most basic stuff for DJ hardware especially in 2019… In my opinion I regret the day when manufacturers release a proper product without any firmware update, it’s the same thing for video games and DLC wft it’s not included on the first release

Serato has been doing vertical waveforms for years.

Also denon guys explained that the vertical waveforms fitted perfectly in-line with the 4 faders on the mixer section.

It might be “different” but having the corresponding waveforms directly above each fader must aid hand:eye co-ordination.

re: firmware - I agree that rather recently the trend of marketing a physical product with a set of specific features, some of which literally don’t exist yet (“but will, eventually we promise”) is alarming and should be discussed critiqued, and monitored rigorously lest we end up eventually being sold empty husks that, if we ‘keep the faith’ , benevolent corporations will reward and bless us with all our hopes and dreams.* (note: marketing material and official technical manuals are - of course - not one in the same). .

If companies choose this route, they should expect exactly the type of customer scrutiny and complaining and online disappointment when promises are not kept. And even when excessive or just plain crazy sounding customers are/will be, that is the consequences of playing this game.

On the other hand, the flexibility and adaptability of a product using a firmware model is insanely awesome, beneficial to consumers, and a paradigm shifting tool for engineers to literally make future proof machines. (We almost take the notion for granted now, but what if you bought a computer and you could never ‘update’ it in any way.)

In the end, the use of judicious firmware updates by product developers and engineers is maybe the best thing ever in the history of creating things. I suppose it’s the MAN via the marketing people that ruin things though, using firmware as the proverbial carrot on a stick. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Sorry, I meant for this reply to disagree with @Julianus comment that somehow designing the wave form orientation on the Prime 4 to ‘fit’ with the upfaders is total nonsense which offers no sort of actual, credible explanation. (Though it sounds ‘right’ until you think about it.)

2 Likes

Android phones are constantly updated with new features, but the relevant point is that they are 100% usable straight out from the box.

1 Like

As are the SC5000 Primes, there’s no difference. Primes already do everything advertised , some just want those features to work better, like better than already there beat grid, better than already there auto bpm detection and all that

Same with phones, they come out but the battery doesn’t last long until the phone firmware gets an update, only half the emojis are missing, then new firmware fixes those things and adds some camera modes, some works better in the dark modes, some customer suggested ideas.

Then usual process… users of older phones can upgrade their firmware a few times but usually not beyond a couple of levels above whatever the firmware level is on the next phone that comes out