Firmware update thoughts

He said “soon”.

“Soon” is better than never I guess.

Nothing wrong with joining the beta group…at least I can make sure things important to me are addressed or reported.

Could be a bunch of DNB djs beta testing now…the more diverse the better.

5 Likes

It shouldn’t be and really won’t be any surprise that the date and time of the next updates weren’t chiselled in stone on the post from Denon. It’s never happened in the past that an updates release date and time was mentioned before the link to that update was posted up.

I’ve no doubt it’ll arrive and the players and mixer and engine software are all still greatly usable

I thought we all, was beta testers. From the moment we purchased into the engine prime ecosystem, we became beta testers. Then, create a account in the forum to discuss bugs and suggest improvements. Sounds like beta testing to me.

Now the request for certified beta testers after over two years from product release. The whole forum leaps for the chance to be included. Some post even sounds like a resume for a paid position in the company.

All I have to say is keep up the good work guys. You make me proud, to call you consumers.

6 Likes

Valid point my friend.

@paul_denondj some more feedback on things I’d like to see changed/added to the players:

It’s weird that the phase meter only works when the players are synced. I think it should work regardless. I would like to see a phase meter that emulates stacked waveforms like the 2000 NXS2 has. Flexible beatgrids in the same fashion as Serato and Rekordbox. Warping a beat to a grid just doesn’t cut it.

I also made a video showing some issues with Engine Prime. We can’t move crates freely around, and Playlists resort back to their default sort no matter what you do.

1 Like

You can’t really give a concrete release date for software/firmware unless it’s already completed - it’s a little like “how long is a piece of string?” As Paul mentioned, sometimes adding/altering existing code can result in unforeseen side effects to existing features and/or stability.

3 Likes

In order to illustrate the complexity of a problem/question, the phrase “how long is a piece of string” is totally appropriate and useful at the onset of a project. And even in the early stages of a complicated project when things are beginning to take shape, one still can’t, with any degree of real certainty, state the length of the string.

And you are absolutely correct that one can’t state with absolute certainty the length of a piece of string until one knows that length. And if we lived in a universe where epistemic certainty existed, I would click the heart on your post. But we do not live in that sort of universe - one of the few certainties for humans is that life is nothing but complicated situations, at best, and unsolvable non-linear dynamic systems, on most days. But we make accurate predictions constantly allowing us to stay alive. If the heart of the Prime Ecosystem was a quantum computer, it probably would be ridiculous to ask how long a piece of string is until the measurement had been made…

Oh snap!! I get it now…Denon distracted everyone with that bluetooth sticker on the box of the sc5000 in order to hide the Truth: the Prime Ecosystem (when completed) will be the first DJ-centric application (or any commercial application) of quantum computing - and inside every Prime player, is a quantum processor. SICK.

Totally relieved. I’m going to go snuggle with Schrodinger my cat, in his box. I guess check on me (or not) once that firmware drops.

just put out a mini update

1. leave traktor beat grids as they are on import

2. tweak the eq for sound quality

im no computer programmer but that surely would take a one a person 2 weeks to accomplish including extensive testing, what exactly is the problem?

1 Like

Of course I am no one to tell Denon how their teams should work (and I have always refrained from doing so), but I can not resist commenting after reading your last post - take this simply as from a customer point of view.

That’s why the software industry has learned over the last 10-15 years that it’s better to deliver small updates every so often instead of a big overhaul with dozens of risky changes and customer expectation assumptions, having proper automated testing, having a proper alpha-beta-public release cycle in place, and having transparent communication with customers to set reasonable expectations (this last point much improved lately - thanks for that).

The argument of “you can break working features when creating new ones” is also a bad excuse to me, and every software company in the world deals with that every day.

You say your team works in sprints, but you have not released anything for months. That simply makes no sense.

But thanks a lot for at least taking the time to reply.

5 Likes

@garrapeta Indeed the sprints should suggest that something is implemented by the end of each sprint… Or their sprints last 6 months… (actually had a company during training that used 6 month sprints :joy:).

Wonder how the X-1800 will work after the sprint they have had on that one :joy:

One can only wait now…

As I see it: Incoorporate 1 thing - > Did it break anything? - > No - > Launch (and focus on the next thing and repeat the above.)

yup Rekordbox as a music management software is pretty damn good

3 Likes

Let’s assume (and I’m sure this is the case) everyone at Denon DJ (top to bottom) is qualified and making rational decisions. And regardless of whether you see eye to eye with Denon DJ and their position at the moment on firmware updates, etc. let’s assume internally there’s a logic to it all and if you could see behind the curtain, we would all understand the basic logic for making the decisions they have. Great. But…what keeps on nagging at me is this (and i’m curious if others see it this way or I’m just reaching here):

Denon DJ’s General Approach to Customers/Supporters and the Prime Ecosystem (post-price drop):

1. Invent a beautiful machine (functionally and, for the most part, aesthetically).

2. Immediately drop the gauntlet via ‘nxs2 killers’, ‘rider changeups’, etc. while actively encouraging the mega enthusiasm that is organically building around the sc5000 as well as ramping up their paid hype machine/marketing.

3. Then drop another probably groundbreaking machine that when combined with the sc5000 enthusiasm, might actually maybe have a shot at real, true relevance to the DJing world at large (lots of 'non-relevant things are of course the best things) especially since Pioneer DJ has done nothing but put lipstick on their best headphones.

4. Then at some point suddenly be totally shocked and unprepared to deal with the growing wave of enthusiasm that they sparked in the first place (both by putting out a great piece of hardware but then stoking interest in a very specific way).

5. Respond by treating the customer/potential customer reactions to the delays reminiscent of a kind but stern second grade teacher dealing with an amped up room of kids waiting to go to recess on a rainy day.

6. Then release an adult statement which is partly a set of minor quibbles over individual incidentals from forum users, while the remainder does not actually say anything new/informative, but it does actively encourage we keep the FAITH.

7. Quickly (and sadly) most of that raw, priceless organic enthusiasm which existed has either been turned into (on this board) staunch defenders of the Faith or dissipated (world at large).

8. [speculation] When the software and firmware updates finally do come out (and eventually they will) no matter how healed the hi end roll off is or beatific the beat gridding is or just flat out amazing the updates are, Denon DJ is setting themselves up for a world of pain when they find out that disappointing some early adaptor users who post annoying posts to their forum was a cakewalk compared to what happens when a devoted zealot set of the ‘faithful’ turns - history is littered with scenarios like this.

9. [more speculation] Apollo from Battle Star Galactica makes a cameo and says “All Of This Has Happened Before And Will Happen Again”.

10. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

1 Like

Points 2 & 3 are perfectly reasonable when the validity of a two year gap between the 5000 and the Prime 4 isn’t deliberately omitted.

@paul_denondj So 27 days onwards and still nothing… Only thing we know so far is what will be included (guess we already knew that from different threads). One advice… Give us a time frame of let’s say x weeks or so instead of misusing the concept of “soon”…

1 Like

We just have to wait. They already explain to us that they sometime extend what features they include into each firmware, which extend the time it takes to test the firmware before release.

Anyway, it’s free - not like we’re paying for firmware inside a particular timeframe.

I wouldn’t pay extra for faster firmware

With the release of the Prime 4, there has to be a release of a new Engine Prime. And with that we should also have new firmware for the SC5000(M).

Now I just checked with my usual dealer, and the waiting time for the Prime 4 has just gone up from 2-3 weeks to 6-7 weeks. That would put the release of the next update well into May.

I said it before and will say it again: I rather wait for Denon to build a proper update than have one soon that’s full of problems. Even if it means waiting some more months. That’s because the next update is a life or death matter for the prime series. If they don’t get it right, they’ll never get it right. And that would be it.

1 Like

Yeah I feel the same. A couple of big, long lists of a dozen things the update fixes, once or twice a year, where all the dozen things are known to work with each other and the previous firmwares.

Drop-feeding one new thing every month, not knowing what it might knock sideways would be a problem every month.

@mufasa > you forgot the launch of a Prime 5, which delays the updates for the Prime 4 and puts the SC5000(M) on the legacy-shelf with the Mcx8000. :wink:

I bet they are working their behinds off, but seems like not much has happened with the beta-tests after Pauls last pep-talk

Though I must say it has been a pleasure to see a bit more activity from Denon crew in the forum lately.

1 Like

Arent you guys just super exited that with everyday passing the update comes a day closer? I am so hyped. For almost a year now. Good to see the denon team responding and passing things on to the development team. And promoting all over the world. Primetribe! The update must be superawesome and we will be superhappy and satisfied. For sure. But yes it sure takes a while to get this one out and ready so it seems… And there is no real clarificafion on how the prime 4 does everything my full setup does and more for only a third of what i paid. And we still held hostage by the postponed prime4 release to get some fixes at least with promised updates… But let’s try to keep faith. It will be good!