Firmware update thoughts

When a track was played and still sits at the end I tend to press cue to go back. However that location will become the first cue then.

Perhaps the same happens to you?

I use the setting load to cue, there’s no cue at the end of a track but it loads the track at the end. It’s a bug.

I know it feels like a bug, just like for example hoe forward loopmove works. But what reese said. It sits at the end of a track as if its a cue.

So you’re saying if I let a track play to the end, the sc5000 sees that as a cue point without me setting it as a cue?

Yes, thats exactly what were saying. Try to loopmove forward. And then backwards.

That sounds like a bug to me or at least something I should be able to change with a preference, Sorry, I don’t want to derail the topic. Back to firmware update thoughts.

Don’t know if that happens. It’s my fault to accidentally press cue. However when loading another track, that last track change (me pressing cue) is saved and returns when I play that track at another time. Then it will load at the end (and the 1 beat is there and all beats before are - minus)

I think it doesn’t happen automatically.

In my experience it does exactly that.

The other day I finally just said “whatever” and took the money I’d earmarked for a second sc5000 player and a x1800, and ordered two Pioneer xdj-1000mk2s.

I thought I’d feel sad but all I could muster was some low level regret: “gee, maybe I shouldn’t have sold my CDJ-2000nxs2s, bought a sc5000 and then publicly (at least via my small social media circle) stated Pioneer DJ was the past, Denon DJ was the FUTURE while convincing at least two people to choose an sc5000 over a Pioneer setup, and deleting my Rekordbox database in order to be baptized in Engine Prime and begin my new life as a Denon DJ advocate/zealot and foot soldier of the dual layer revolution.” But as the man says, it’s better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t…right?

In hindsight, maybe I was catching Denon DJ on the rebound. Maybe I used the sc5000 and the messianic notion of a ‘pending firmware upgrade’ as a way to forget about the pain and loss of what was, to be honest, my first real long term, fully committed relationship with an experienced, worldy, and ultimately, damaged entity who maybe I thought would change…but Pioneer DJ is what it is. I accept that now. (oh Pulse, how I weirdly miss you most of all…jk I’m glad I threw your ‘help’ out that window.)

Ayway, since this forum has - by no fault of its users - turned into more of a support group, I thought I would share the above. Don’t worry about me though - this is all a super good thing.

This might be TMI but the sc5000 and I finally talked and we are both comfortable entering into a ‘friends with benefits’ type of relationship (we have rules of curse: I don’t say I love you and the sc5000 promises to respect my needs and is comfortable with dalliances outside the Prime Ecosystem. (Also let’s be honest, the sc5000 knows the score…the Prime 4 just does more so my limited companionship is better than nothing.) i Maybe I’m just more modern - dare I say ‘polyplayer’ curious? - than I realized? Either way, I feel happier than I have in a long time. In a few days me, the sc5000 (now focused as a dedicated two layer ‘looper’ machine), two unremarkable yet very sensible xdj-1000m2s, my tried and true djm-900nxs2 mixer, and a midi controller I found online will all be getting to know each other. I know it won’t all be clear sailing, but real life…or should I say real Love, never is. Thanks for listening guys - I just know it will work out for each and everyone of you too. -matt

ps. Does anyone have experience asking a DJS-1000 to move out - we were never really formally ‘together’ but you know how that goes. For a hot 64 seconds we had a thing, but the ‘arrangement’ just never happened. (If you hear rumors of a fresh faced, totally Ableton Link accessible Akai Force spending a lot of late nights with me…mind your own business.)

10 Likes

I get this allot.

It seems to be when it’s a file that I’ve played before - the workaround is to press track skip left - but I agree it’s a stupid bug that wouldn’t creep in if the programmers weren’t themselves being pestered by my million new feature asks

Maybe I should give them a 6 month amnesty of promising not to send any more feature asks

Oh Matt, this is all so super deep! But intimate relationships are never easy. It is after falling in love and committing, that you really get to know each other. After some time you know of all the faults and problems and have to except those willingly to carry on. And then you’re still thinking what could have been with someone else.

I’m myself polysystemic, but am trying to get everybody to get along. That often means looking for more low-level solutions and not having the full deal. But of course there is never room for notorious troublemakers.

I don’t necessarily agree with you but very cleverly written!

Yeah, if it were a football we were talking about.

Does it hold air without leaking ? Yes?

Does it roll for a while when kicked ? Yes?

Passed !

But it’s a multi-mode equipment with hundreds of features so, it can easily be considered how not every way it could be used as per manual and used in creative ways not in the manual might not be thought of as an obvious thing to test before and after an update

I’m not going to fork out for a set of these primes until some of the issues mentioned in this thread are addressed.

1 Like

80 comments (81 with this) and not one single respons from Denon… :pensive:

4 Likes

Very discouraging…I feel like there so many issues with Engine and the players that it’s hard for me to Trade my current Rane system for this even though i wanted to

2 Likes

I came here to say exactly what the OP said. It’s concerning that months are going by without even small patches being deployed.

It’s a common misconception that ‘taking the time to do a big release’ is what great companies do - the longer you leave it, the bigger the gap, the more changes included in the patch and the more potential to go wrong.

efficiency in being able to get patches out to customers quickly and often is important. However, i imagine that they are just ignoring everything else while they focus on the prime4, which is very disappointing to those of us who have invested in existing prime kit.

2 Likes

more than likely, yes. i doubt they doubled their development team just for the one product. I cant help but feel bitter about that, because we are essentially ignored in the meantime.

1 Like

My first post.

Been reading this forum for a few months now after buying 2 SC5000 and X1800 when the price dropped. This thread compelled me to create an account and join in on the discussion. Hopefully if enough of us join in and comment, Denon will respond.

So please Denon, give us an update, even if it goes something like “we’re working on it but our resources are tied up with the Prime 4 release” At least throw us small bone.

My personal wish list:

1. As everyone already mentioned, improve Engine Prime (This is the key for success of these products)
  2. Improve the high end frequency roll off. My ears are overly sensitive to this.
  3. Bring back the higher resolution for speed adjustment. .05 is not enough, at least In the lower % range. So far I’m forced to use sync unless I want to dick around with constantly adjusting wondering speeds of tracks.

Thanks for reading

9 Likes

If the prime 4 and the rest of the prime models were all very very different machines then I would maybe join in with the scaremongering about “oh woe is us : all of denon is only looking at writing firmware for prime 4 - instead of writing firmware for SC5000 - and instead of updating to Engine Prime

BUT

They’re all the same group , the prime group of models , firmware and engine prime. So, except for the difference of the 5000m having a motor and the single issue the m has with the motor picking up speed when cueing in headphones, it’s probably safe to think that whatever prime things denon are working on will benefit all of the prime models

(when they’re not being distracted by “please respond , it’s been 18 people asking in 10 hours blah” posts).

3 Likes