Fat, 4gb file size limitation

Make your mind up fella

Read context again.

Already did .

Then do the right quoting:

“It’s hard to believe they were not aware”

=

“They were aware”

the Orig writer used those words. Probably in sarcasm, whi lch doesn’t come across well in typed conversation. Still,

Anyway this looks like one of those bitter-sweet instances. Looks like plenty of people yelled for mcx to become prime. It gets enabled to read Prime databases and that’s how this came about.

Maybe the mcx hardware can handle exfat and can be firmware updated to use that hardware feature, if it can. It’s a wait and see thing I guess or use two databases if not

True yes true.

It is no sarcasm at all. It is a fact that Denon DJ development team knew what they’re doing when implemented FAT32 support on MCX8000. It is the users who wants to use the MCX8000 as a full blown standalone system with entire libraries put on FAT32 removable drives. If someone wants to have a backup ready for MCX8000 standalone mode, he/she can prepare a set enough to keep the music playing for a decent 9 hours with about 100 songs (files). A well organized and prepared library like that will never encounter problems running from a removable drive under FAT32 filesystem. This is the philosophy behind MCX8000 concept and how Denon DJ imagined it would be used. The fact that in standalone mode MCX8000 has limited features availability proves what it stands for.

The mcx8000 has always needed Fat16/32. So I doubt this has anything to do with EP support. If you think about it, EP converts things back down to a ‘kinda’ old Engine format. Although it is possible that with EP support, the p.db file fills up a bit quicker.

The 8000 can handle all my music, I can access ALL of it. Its only the database file that hits a limit.

That doesn’t prove your statement at all, it proves that the hardware wasn’t capable of more features. If you want to prove what you just said, show me something in writing where Denon told their potential customers this, otherwise it is merely your own opinion. Perhaps you wanna now tell me that Denon ‘assumed’ their potential customers would know know this is how they envisioned it’s use? :wink:

If you don’t analyze the files, you can put up to 2 TB of music files on your drive and the unit will be able to access it and play it just fine. But, in order to use all features available in standalone mode you have to analyze your music files and create a library usable by the Engine software underneath MCX8000. So, in the end, you are pretty much compelled to use a music library, which, in our case, has its limits. In order to use the unit as a full blown standalone workstation you have to be able to not need a PC for anything regarding music manipulation features (like a good bank of effects and even samplers).

This is true, and sadly it all boils down to just one file!! If Denon was to allow EP to create 2 (or more) database files, this wouldn’t be an issue. Unfortunately, I highly doubt Denon will do much about this so late in the game.

As a matter of fact they won’t do anything more regarding implementation of new features on MCX8000. But they can do something about the way Engine Prime exports the library for MCX8000. If they choose to do something about it, they will have to update MCX8000 firmware also. At the moment MCX8000 has two USB ports for removable drives usable in standalone Engine mode, so we have the option to split a music library on two removable drives.

You’re guessing that ?

Or just thinking that’s what your opinion is?

Or you’re the owner of denon and present at every meeting about product?

Spose you could always get two mcx8000 and put half your tunes on one of them and the other half your tunes on the other. Or buy a prime 4 which is really true Prime

No, I am not guessing about implementation of new features on MCX8000. Denon DJ staff itself stated this recently in a post. If you have the curiosity to know what’s happening on this forum, you can read all posts regularly and you can find all responses from staff.

No, I am not the owner of Denon DJ division, nor do I want to be. You know very well who owns Denon DJ division. On the other hand I wouldn’t mind to be part of a team who strives to innovate and create beautiful and capable equipment to fulfill our love for music.

For my part, I do not need to use two MCX8000 units to do what I love. The one I have is perfectly capable to fulfill its purpose without the need of something from the Prime series. As a matter a fact I regret Denon DJ retired the SC2900 and SC3900 from their lineup, because those beauties are capable of rocking the crowd really good, without the aid of big displays. You have all the information you need at your disposal. The rest is about yourself and the best audio hardware you possess - your ears.

Surely the 4gb database file limit could be considered a bug. I don’t think Denon realised we would reach this limit quicker using the 8000 with EP. So just maybe there is some hope after all.

Believe me when I say that I to would love to see new updates both for the MCX8000 and they Engine Prime works with it, but for now the situation is like Denon DJ staff said: “no new features, only bug fixes”. The same way, I hope they will take the time to update the user manual with all improvements made to MCX8000 and to release a Service and Repair Manual for it, containing a spare part catalogue. As you already know, these requests are taken into consideration based on how many votes receive from the community, so if, like me, you too want these things to happen, I kindly invite you to join the endeavour and vote for them. Regards!

Sure, you could say the database limitation can be considered a kind of a bug, the same way one could say the presence of so many folders (like “letter index”, “artist name”, album name") created when Engine software is compiling the library can be considered a bug, because so many folders increase the path length for a target file and one could be compelled to shorten the filename of a song in order to stay inside path length limits. This kind of database organisation should stay inside the database file and be presented to the user as a field or column when sorting and filtering based on id3tags information.

It doesn’t make Flat white coffees - it’s a bug.

But of course, it’s inability to make coffee isn’t a bug and design specifications being different to current models isn’t either.

If a 1000 euro something could do more or less the same things that a 2000 Euro something could do, who would buy the 2000 Euro something?

I don’t think any maker would have two models and keep making the lesser model more clever.

Taking about limitations, we also have to deal with them on this forum when we see the message: “You have reached the maximum number of edits”.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: