[OUTDATED] Fancy yourself as an Engine Prime or EngineOS beta tester?

Agreed.

Best effort, DenonDJ will help in any way possible to get it sorted when something might happen to a unit.

We like the beta.

1 Like

Im interested too

hi, I’m available, I own Prime4 and I have two PCs with Engine Prime, one with Win10 and one with WinSeven, I use the console daily and exploit all the potential continuously.

Hello Denon Team,

I would like to be part of the beta team. I’m quiet experienced in this approach, and I would like to give my feedback. Let me know !

Here is my setup:

• 2x SC6000 latest firmware (1.6.2) (one with a SSD of 2tb).
  • 1x X1850 latest firmware (1.3.0)
  • Macbook Pro Apple M1 or Core i7 laptop
1 Like

Hi all, application completed!

2 Likes

I completed the Beta application but haven’t heard back, not even an email confirmation. Hope this is normal.

Sign me up, I have 2 Prime Go’s a Prime 4, and I am looking at a pair of s5000s. Lots of gear to break

1 Like

Please feel free to add me, I would really like to participate!

1 Like

How is writing a comment here saying you want to participate in beta going to get you there given the post clearly says to click on a link and fill out the form?

I guess that was the first test of acceptance, haha

3 Likes

Are you sure about that? I just read extensively the Testing agreement. It explicitly states:

Blockquote (B) No Liability For Damages. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, INMUSIC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES FROM ANY CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING WITH RESPECT TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE PRODUCTS, OR OTHER BETA MATERIALS PROVIDED HEREUNDER, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. IN NO EVENT SHALL INMUSIC’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU UNDER THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED FIFTY US DOLLARS (US$50.00).

So if the beta firmware bricks your hardware, Denon will give you $50. Now I understand Denon is trying to protect their ass against exploiters. But the agreement gives Denon all the power and takes all control away from you. I would have at least like to see provision for replacing bricked hardware. As it stands, you are at the mercy, and just have to believe Denon would be nice enough to replace your bricked hardware.

There is also the issue that if you were to inadvertently mention something in a public forum - it could be innocent, you just helping a fellow out saying ‘hang on, this feature is coming’ - well Denon can sue you in a court for this. Will they? Maybe not. Or Maybe yes.

Oh and if you happen to learn of a bug or forgot to report a bug you came across, guess what. Denon can lock you out of all Denon products. Denon even has a name for that ‘abusing a bug’.

I would like to become a beta tester. As a former coder, I believe I could provide decent enough feedback. But I am unsure now, after having read the terms. They seem very excessive, and almost as if Denon is trying to tell you what a privilege it is for you to be a beta tester and you ought to be so grateful. When reality is that it is a two way road and beta testers are invaluable to a program and should be treated with a little more respect than the terms make it sound.

I’ll have go give it a long and hard think to decide if I want to be part of this…

2 Likes

These terms are always made in such a way. As a coder you know all software on your computer is never in your possession either; even when you have “bought” it.

In the 4 years of testing, I’ve never had any issues that couldn’t or wouldn’t be resolved by DenonDJ in their “best effort”. Maybe it’s because I’m a nice guy, so the terms might be for the not-so-nice-guy.

Apart from this, if the quoted text above is from your NDA… you’ve already breached it. :wink:

Why do you think I run purely FOSS for past 15 years?

Sure. I also know bricking your hardware is rare. I just don’t quite fancy that all my rights are taken away and I have to rely on a mercy of a company when things go wrong or if I slip up. And yes I get it I do not have to joint the beta program. I just find anyone who would actually take the time to read this Testing Agreement would be scared to even participate. I know it gave ME a serious pause. I also frankly do not appreciate that the Testing Agreement makes you feel as a beta tester as if Denon is doing you such a great favour and you better be grateful and behave. It is really rather condescending. Don’t take my word; read it for yourself.

The NDA is from the publicly available Testing Agreement pdf document you get to read before even signing up. This is publicly available and I have not signed or agreed to anything to get that link and read it. Thus how could I possibly be breaching anything?

1 Like

I have read all my (pre-) NDA’s before signing and returning them. I certainly have asked the same questions, but I already found myself living in the real world, where my rights were taken away decades ago.

All NDA’s are more or less the same. As a FOSS Linux user, I won’t bother you with the Apple Beta or Windows Insider NDA’s…

Like already concluded, don’t participate if you have bad feeling about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the discussion and good on you for actually reading those NDAs…

Cheers

It’s good to let people know, as I’m sure not everybody will read what they sign.

All I can say that the guys and girls behind the scenes are not following it to the letter. Legally it has to be written down in the occasional event it might be needed, I think.

So, the biggest question remains: will you be joining? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I will take some time to think it through. I know as ex programmer I could provide decent feedback, and it would be cool to test out new features earlier and see where Denon is headed with the software as well as communicate with he devs closer and offer suggestions (which may or may not be accepted, I have no ego).

I am quite torn over this NDA to be honest.

Thank you for your viewpoints

3 Likes

Check the bug report forum then :smiley:

Also, I once sent 2 issues to the support department (one of those was being unable to update my unit), they were never answered, and in the end I fixed it myself (I was lucky enough the update issue was not persistent, after a hard reboot or 10…) PS: that was when I first got my SC6000’s, so I was updating release software to release software…

I’m not referring to the bug reports of course. The point above was hardware failure or bricking, when testing, and that the company wouldn’t help us.

Hi all, i was a part of Soundswitch beta testing here on Denon DJ and would like to continue of beta testing, if possible. Best Regards Tomas