External battery for prime 4

Hi, I just want to know if somebody tried to use an external battery for the prime 4 (something like the Litionite Hurakan 200W, or the Krisdonia 50000mAh Power Bank with an inverter). Could it be dangerous for the prime4 due to possible variations in current? Or is safe to use this approach?

Thanks!

1 Like

There are many subjects about it, just search for it.

https://community.enginedj.com/search?q=External%20battery

I think he’s hoping to use a Prime 4 without power, like a very big Prime Go.

Then a computer UPS would do for a while

exactly, that’s the idea

but I need at least 2h of batterry life, and I wolud like to minimize the battery volume as much as possible, that’s why I was searching fo these kind of external batteries but I am not sure if it will be safe for the prime 4

Denon Dj SC6000 has a built-in battery, which in the event of a power failure allows you to safely turn off the device and protect the SSDs from damage. This solution should be used in P4 I P2

1 Like

That is not a battery. This is a power supply that stores power in a capacitor or array of capacitors that take at least 10 seconds to discharge. This allows to safely finish database writing and shut down.

Yeah, the SC5000 also have this :slight_smile:

Theoretically, the Prime 4 should also have this large capacitor to allow data to be saved after a blackout, we have already talked about it.

I think the P4 already has the capacitor bank like the SC5/6000’s. I did a gig a couple of weeks ago where the power cut out for a couple of seconds then the backup power of the building came on. The P4 display said “Power Lost” - or something like that, the P4 continued playing the track that was playing. Then when the power came back on, the message on the display went away & the P4 continued as if nothing ever happened :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I keep wondering why some guys here on the forum had to install a UPS unit in order not to risk damaging the DB following a blackout.

Why do some people have problems and others don’t?

Not too sure why some are having the database issues, but just to make sure you understand, the P4 started a 10sec countdown. So the capacitor charge doesn’t last very long, but it’s still a very cool feature to have.

10 seconds is enough time to close the database without damaging it.

This is a good solution, though I would be more worried about the unit itself getting fried by a power surge or dropout than the drives. I use sticks and SD cards rather than SSD’s though. If a stick or SD gets corrupted, I keep an identical in my pocket to plug into my P4.

So is this a regular UPS, that can run multiple things for 8+ hours or a buffer UPS? I watched the video, but I would like to know specifics.

Also, what case do you have that can fit a UPS and a P4 and a power strip with plug outs on the side?