ENJINN - Library Management Tool for Windows & macOS - Create smart playlists, relocate your tracks

ENJINN

A library management tool for Denon Engine PRIME :headphones:

I’ve been seeing a lot of people (myself included) asking for features like smart playlists for a while now, so I decided to do something about it. I hope it saves y’all some time and stress <3

:open_book: Documentation

:star2: Features

• Smart playlists
    • Generate playlists based off of easily configurable rules
    • Filter tracks based on album, bpm, file type, and more
    • Use different operators to filter attributes including Regex
    • Logically group filters with and & or
    • Smart playlist definition example
  • Library relocation
    • Relocate missing tracks
    • Provide a folder to search for tracks in
  • Automatically backs up library before running
  • Supports Engine 1.6
  • Cross platform
    • Windows & macOS
    • macOS is untested. The code is written to be compatible, but I don’t have a mac to test on. If you have a mac, please let me know if everything works properly.

If there’s a feature you’d like added that would be useful to you, please open a feature request!

:rocket: Installation

Requires NodeJS v14+
Standalone version coming soon

$ npm install -g enjinn
$ enjinn

Updating

$ npm install -g enjinn@latest

ENJINN will notify you when an update is available.

15 Likes

Dope. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow. Can’t wait for standalone version. Good job man!

1 Like

Denon should pay you for this and incorporate its functionality into Engine for windows and Mac

1 Like

Thanks for that!

1 Like

Just published v1.1.0 with support for numeric filters like bpm. It will also automatically notify you of updates when you run it now.

Once you’re on the new version, you’ll be able to update with:

$ npm install -g enjinn@latest

Edit: Another one

v1.1.1 has prettier output

Edit 2: The enjinn update command doesn’t work for the npm version, only the standalone version (which is almost done). Use the npm install command to update instead.

1 Like

Good job, i too, coded a tool for managing the PRIME db. Clearly Denon would benefit greatly from interoperability with other software.

Yesterday, I was looking at Music Bee to figure out if a plugin "export to denon database would make sense.

1 Like

Very cool. Are you still working on it? I just looked through your code but I am not good at Go so the structure was pretty foreign to me.

Hi. this is great but how do i install it please? im no coder :frowning: thanks

2 Likes

Ye I’m in the same boat!

What OS are you on?

Download NodeJS from the link in the post, then open a command prompt or terminal and type the command listed below the NodeJS link.

On windows, to open a command prompt, press windows key + R, then type cmd and hit enter.

On Mac, press command + space, then type “terminal”.

I’ll be releasing a standalone version with an installer soon.

1 Like

There was no point that the product didn’t do what it said on the tin. Denon has done way more to fulfill feature request and provide regular updates for free since the players were released. Whereas the current competition would force you to purchase a new player for new features. :wink:

6 Likes

Check out the feature request section- dozens of basic features are still missing, especially within the software.

To be fair, these features were never advertised, however laughable it might be that they aren’t included.

But yeah, welcome to the world of software. Companies cater to shareholders. They’ve been putting most of their resources into SoundSwitch it seems because that helps sell more product than smart playlists. I’ve also read that only a third of the actual team is developers, but that’s unverified so take that with a grain of salt.

Although when you consider the fact that this only took me a week and that includes figuring out their database structure in the first place, yeah kind of silly. These aren’t very complex features. And when Denon does eventually implement smart playlists, I imagine that ENJINN’s implementation will still be more capable in terms of filtering.

3 Likes

thanks. im on Win10. the CMD prompt is the black window yes, i then copy n paste that code into that.

just asking…do you know how far away you are from the stand alone?

thanks again Dave

Great approach- I’m curious about the standalone version for Mac- The operation via the command line is not my thing.

Not an expert on nodejs packaging, but this would be a start.

1 Like

The standalone version will still need to be run from the command line, but it comes with an installer and doesn’t need NodeJS. I’m updating the docs to make it as easy to use as possible even if you’ve never used the command line.

Yes, CMD is the black window.

I’m almost done with the standalone version. I’m hoping to make it available later today.

Thanks, I actually already tried out pkg but opted for a different approach instead. Pkg creates a single binary, so you’d have to add it to your PATH manually, and auto updates wouldn’t be possible. I opted for oclif-dev which can bundle an actual installer. The issue has been that the sqlite driver is a native dependency so I have to jump through a few hoops to make it all work.

Ok, there will never be a graphical interface like a „Classic „ App? We‘ve had to use always the command line right?

Sadly yes, it would take me a lot more time to develop a version of this with a UI. However, I’ve made it so that the commands interactively prompt you for input, so it’s really easy to use.

It’s also possible to make shortcuts to run the commands so you don’t have to open the command line yourself. I’ll add a section on how to do that to the docs as well.

Command line apps don’t have to be scary and complicated. Honestly, once you learn how to use it, it’s easier and faster than a UI :slight_smile:

Edit: The standalone version is out!

You can get it on Gumroad: https://gum.co/enjinn

Unfortunately I can’t edit the main post anymore, so please refer to the documentation link for the latest docs and links for now.

Edit 2: There’s now a discussions page to ask questions and get help with issues

Check it out here: https://github.com/rshea0/enjinn/discussions

Edit 3: You can now look at the roadmap of upcoming features

The issues page shows all the new features I’m working on!

3 Likes