Engine Prime v1.3.2 Now Available!

Trying it now will soon send you zip files

1 Like

Unfortunately the new function: “Added the ability to drag and drop a folder from your files system into the Playlist area to create a new Playlist” applies only to one folder a time. Will the next version allow to drag and drop more than one folder a time?

If you make that request in the actual “request a new feature” section, I’ll certainly vote for that with you

This are the two to vote for:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/import-and-update-existing-file-system-folder-structure-folders-subfolders-as-crates/13978

https://community.enginedj.com/t/multi-dragging-files-out-of-engine-to-pc/15421

1 Like

Hi @JWiLL. The BPM calculation algorithm in ENGINE PRIME continues to give false values. That is a serious problem because when you have a large library of songs it must be totally reliable. On the other hand, the ENGINE 1.5 BPM calculation algorithm works perfectly well, although the software is bad. Please review this.

Got the strangest situation today. I was playing a ~110BPM song (song A) on one deck and loaded another ~110BPM to the other deck (song B). While I was fine-tuning the speed of song B, I noticed the left vertical waveform was saying it was 127BPM, but to my ears it was matched to the playing song A. At the same time, the same song B, on the central library display, was STILL 110BPM… Ok, some minor visual glitch I thought. Let’s move on and continue practicing… Some seconds later, I noticed that the vertical waveform for the playing song A, had ENDED, but the waveform on the top was still showing the waveform analysis and that it looked synchronised to what I was hearing, meaning this same Song A was still being played… Crazy glitch I thought, but continued and mixed into song B. Then the exact opposite thing happened to song B, meaning that the vertical waveform was rolling, while the top waveform had ended (as well as the playing song). Then I thought I could no longer bare with such craziness, ejected the 1.3.2 created USB flash drive I was using, and re-inserted an older 1.3.1 created USB flash drive of the same make and model. Lo and behold, all the afore mentioned problems disappeared. Lesson learned: keep using the 1.3.1 USB flash drive for the time being.

1 Like

I can confirm this happens. Had exactly the same thing. 1.3.1 has no such issues whatsoever.

If I were Denon I would pull the 1.3.2 release until these issues are solved; it’s bad marketing.

1 Like

So when you say catalina is not supported yet - does this mean the itunes bit? or the whole EP app? just wondering … no problems for me on mojave but now all my other ios devices are on ios13 i cant detect em and EP is the only thing stopping me from upgrading …

update is worse than 1.3.1

everything keeps resetting , ad change cue point colour to blue then would change bk to red , ad move beat grids that would also change bk anyway av sold it , luvly controller tho ,everything jus needs more up dates , great for mobile djs luvly screen ,well responsive , jus dont think its quite there yet , but i perfer pioneer rekordbox , i feel more at home with wat i know , pioneer controller, but its your own preference , rekordbox was poor when it started tho

1 Like

I just noticed they released version 1.3.3. I’ll give it a spin later today.

It hasn’t extended much in many years so

Unfortunately, in what seems to have become the norm, the lack of care for detail crept in again. The release notes for both the Windows and macOS still mentions 1.3.2 in the first line (as shown below), while the executable indeed seem to indicate it’s 1.3.3.

===== excerpt from 1.3.3 Release notes ======

Engine Prime 1.3.2 - Desktop Release Notes

Fixes / Improvements:

Fixed issue with Cue Points sometimes not being saved

Fixed issue with BPM and Beatgrid changes sometimes not being saved

Fixed an issue where track waveform data would not matching the track loaded to deck

Fixed an issue with dragging Engine Prime Playlists to Finder or Explorer can move the files rather than copying

Fixed a crash on older pre-Haswell Intel core-i chipsets

Potential fix for crash on start up

Potential fix for hang on start up

====== end of excerpt =======

I keep wondering when will DenonDJ hire someone to really manage this software development team… the amount of wrong information, leading to confused users, over different releases is incredible for a company that has the stated goal of competing with the likes of PioneerDJ. While the hardware is great, the software and management is going nowhere.

Oh, by the way, it’s been called macOS for years now. OSX was the old way of referring to the Apple Mac operating system…

Pioneer are no angels - the firmware errors they made have been far worse.

Also consider this: pioneer make almost no improvements or give any new features in their firmware. So it’s all pro-rata. If denon release 10 firmwares and pioneer only release 1 - it stands to reason that there’s 9 more chances for a typo in some notes

1 Like

Agreed that other manufacturers do have their share of mistakes. But If DenonDJ really wants to surpass PioneerDJ or any other DJ brand in the wild, it has to be way better, not so-so, definitively not worse, than it has been over the last years in the software department. It’s a steep uphill battle it’s facing now, and with the current lack of attention to detail, it won’t succeed anytime soon.

But again, it’s the pro-rata thing to consider. Denon release far more firmware releases, so there’s more chance of a release having poor documentation

Then again, DenonDJ only has to release far more updates than others, because the main cause is they decided to sell half-baked products. Please note that, by “product”, I’m referring to the whole thing: hardware(excellent as it is)/firmware(half-baked)/software(way below paying customer expectations).

All subjective really. Everyone has different needs.

Also if denon didn’t invite or entertain user requests for brand new features on existing hardware, they’d have far less firmware releases.

But, for either reason, any release is good

I don’t mind the number of releases, nor the amount of, as you say, brand new features. I DO mind, though, the lack of quality (fix one or more things, break others) and the insistence on adding features instead of really fixing basic things that still leave much to be desired, specially in EP. If only they would admit the software is bad, and start over, but no, they insist on trying to mend a broken design. Also, the whole argument about minor mistakes on documentation is just one aspect of the whole software development mismanagement. I could go on and on, but let’s just leave it. And I say it respectfully, I don’t think I will change your opinion, nor you will change mine. PEACE.

Again, objective.

No-one, outside of the software team “know” that. Outside of the team, you and I can only guess. The other thing is, there’s no bad code as such. If a 15 in a line of code, isn’t performing then it can be changed to a 14 or a 16 or whatever. Just tweaks, nothing that means binning every line and starting from a blank page lol

Yes, there is bad code as such. Programming does not work as you describe.

I do agree by looking at how Engine, database navigation behave, as well as regressions in every release that there are proper issues that there.

Nothing to do with “tweaks” - it does not work like that.