Engine PRIME Official v1.6 Availability when?

I would gladly test Engine OS V1.6 beta on my Prime 4, if there was more speed in resolving the reported defects and the creation of a beta 3, then beta 4 and so on until the final fix.

Why should I install a BETA2 already knowing that there are some reported bugs and above all that in the beta the bugs already present in 1.5.2 have not been fixed?

Instead, after 47 days from the publication of BETA 2 and from the various reports of various defects, we still do not have BETA 3. I mean, if there are “n” bugs reported so far, they should start fixing them, then compile and generate the BETA3. They send the new beta release for testing to beta-testers and await response. And so on.

1 Like

But that’s exactly the problem. Non-participation.

The more people that take part in beta AND respond to denon with their own reports, the faster the root cause of an issue can be found.

Picture this:

• Someone says “some tracks crash my prime” but gives no further info - the firmware team could have hundreds of things to look at, thousands of lines of code to check , if only going by “some tracks crash my prime”

• someone in the beta says they’ve tried 500 MP3s and all of them played fine, no crashes

• someone else in the beta says they’ve tried 500 flacs and all those played fine too

• someone else in the beta says they’ve tried 500 AACs and they all played fine

• someone else in the beta says they’ve tried 500 Wav files and they all played fine

• someone else in the beta says they’ve tried 500 Mp4s and some of them crash

The first 4 beta testers, didn’t find anything wrong but they seemed to prove between them that 4 files types are ok - finally someone in the beta program had some niche files, mp4s , rather than the run of the mill common mp3/wav files finally found a link, a common ground.

So all the beta testers are given a revised beta firmware and the mp4 relevance is mentioned and the two or three beta testers who have any mp4s can test and test and test to try and find out what parameter of an mp4 makes it crash -

If there’s only 2 or 3 people testing that subdivision of mp4 files, it’s a lot of time and work by them and denons team. If it’s 20 or 30 people testing their mp4 files any common traits should show up quicker

The more an issue gets narrowed down, the less beta testers there are in the pool who can drill down any further into a problem.

What if the final outcome was “mp4 files which have a sample rate of 96khz, in joint stereo, If over 5 mins long, With cue points set, pitched above 10%, with flexible at grids, and a foreign character accent in the comments tag, with a bpm over 180 WILL crash, if sound switch is connected and stream source beatport is on the other networked deck??? How long would that take 5 people to find? How long would that take 50 people to find?

Although the group is smaller than “public”, of course, be sure to know that several betas have past already since beta2.

And yes, we try to crush all bugs, but certainly there will be some leftovers. :relieved:

6 Likes