Engine Prime not displaying iTunes artwork

Hi Everyone,

Really sorry if this has been covered but for some reason and all of a sudden Engine has decided to stop importing track artwork from iTunes? I think I read somewhere that it is due to an issue with the latest update to iTunes?

Is there a quick and easy fix to this or is it likely to be sorted in a 1.5.1 version?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

It’s more likely that the runes who h you’re processing through iTunes, whatever their original source, are bringing a new problem with them.

Are all your oldest tunes stripped of their artwork, or just recent ones? iTunes will import tunes that you point it at, from almost any online retailer or CDs etc obviously iTunes and Apple Music are now two separate things now, so not quite so linked as before. Could you look back to see what source the artwork-less tunes were purchased from? Some members on here reported that on online seller like Beatport or some such , was formatting its album art wrongly (for the players as well as for Engine Prime, which sort of removes engine prime from the likely suspects list).

Thanks for the reply Julianus,

So my older iTunes music that I had imported a while ago is still showing the artwork but over the past 2 months or so any new tracks that I buy won’t import the artwork? Tracks from Beatport/Tracksource etc work perfectly fine so it must be a EP/iTunes issue?

Interestingly I have just bought a new MacBook Pro today and I have added EP and no matter what track I import (old or new) from iTunes it now won’t display any artwork, even though it displays this artwork correctly in EP on my iMac so I am really confused?

Cheers.

I’d say that if ANY new artwork at all from recently purchased tunes are showing, then engine prime is working. There’s something different between the purchased tunes that have working artwork and the purchased tunes that have artwork that doesn’t work.

See if you can narrow it down more… I’m thinking other forum discussions have narrowed it down to one individual supplier that was including artwork to not be quite so widely compatible as other suppliers

Have you tried using a tag editing software like Kid3 or Yate? Go into iTunes, delete the artwork and then use the tag editor to insert new artwork found on t’internet. If that works, it’s the artwork they are using, it doesn’t, it’s the file they are using. If had this with aiff’s before, and it’s the tag version (I can’t remember what it is called, it’s got a number like 2.2,2.3,2.4). The way that I’ve fixed that is just to make a copy in iTunes and for some reason the copy has the artwork. A proper ball ache unfortunately, but at least solves the problem if you are as small as me!!!

You can try to invoke a “re-import file information”, keep in mind this doesn’t work for tracks currently loaded in the EP deck.

This must be invoked from the Collection part of EP( left top column, first item), not the iTunes bridge. There are known issues where the “re-import file information” doesn’t work for tracks already part of the EP collection. And this does not only apply to iTunes but also to Serato cues/ Rekordbox data etc.

Using the latest version of EP my experience is that “reload file tag” is a bit of a gamble, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t I haven’t investigate into it.

[BUG] Engine Prime 1.3.1 “Re-import track information” does not work

1 Like

New tracks from Beatport etc all work fine, but now ANY track from iTunes doesn’t load in any artwork at all.

So on my iMac upstairs all of the artwork is showing from iTunes with anything added before about 2 or 3 months ago, anything that I add since this time from iTunes doesn’t show any artwork.

On my MacBook that I got yesterday none of the artwork from any track in iTunes loads into EP, doesn’t matter if its 10 years old or a brand new track, literally no artwork from iTunes is coming over to my collection in EP :frowning:

Also, when I first setup EP last year I had to make sure iTunes was sharing its library info and had to copy and past the xml path into EP, this option isn’t available anymore so is that likely to be the issue?

MixMasterG, I have also tried the reimport file information and no joy unfortunately.

Very frustrating!

Definitely try Yate. Open the file, go to the cover, delete it and then reimport that data from Discogs (and the cover). It’ll either work, or it’s a re-encode in iTunes.

I use Yate and it is setting a Label for a piece of content, but it’s not showing in the Label tab in Prime software :frowning:

Have you right clicked and clicked update ID information (or something like that)

I think it’s Denon that need to deal with this, not the retailers or the customer. There’s clearly something inadequate about Engine Prime (we all know that!) if it can’t understand cover art that is working just fine in other programs/apps.

Take the recent Bandcamp case. Someone here mentioned that EP couldn’t read the artwork but other software he tried displayed it without issue.

And please Denon, while you’re fixing this, give EP the ability to edit (inc adding) cover art too.

Having the same issue here. Just got a new MacBook Pro As my old one was out of date and wouldn’t upgrade anymore. So now got latest engine prime running Just trying to add some new tunes purchased on Apple ‘music’ (which has replaced iTunes) and although the artwork is visible in Apple Music, when I view the track via the EP music folder it has no artwork.

OK, I think I may have found a workaround. I noticed that even when you open/search for the offending track in ‘finder’ it still doesn’t show the artwork.

So I went back into iTunes, clicked on the track, click on ‘get info’, go to ‘artwork’. Then drag the image into ‘downloads’ so it saves it as a jpeg. Then click ‘add artwork’, then go back to downloads and re-select that same artwork and add it back in as if you were adding a new piece of artwork. Then it appears fine in iTunes / Finder / Engine Prime.

Maybe there’s an easier fix, but Im no tech expert.

2 Likes

That sounds like maybe the artwork is not embedded in the file, but stored by iTunes somewhere else.

Atomix does a similar thing with artwork in VDJ.

You can set VDJ to auto-download artwork, but it caches the files rather than embeds them in the tags - so it looks like all your tracks have artwork, but actually it’s just an association between the audio & image files in the DB.

I created an action I use in my tagging software (Yate) then copies the artwork to all files as well as a folder icon. Leave nothing to chance. :partying_face:

I don’t think iTunes stamps the artwork on all the files. Also, take a look in your root iTunes folder at the Album artwork folder. This is where the artwork is for iTunes, EP just needs to read the XML for the filename and add that, which I don’t think it’s doing as I’m having a similar problem.

Try download and run mp3tag. I tested on windows. Import all tracks. select them all then right click and select save tag. Go back to engine prime and re-import track information. Artwork should now be showing.

1 Like

thank you very much !! It’s been a while im’ having issues , this is the solution. thank you again!

Ok, I did something following your advice but… I have hundreds of tracks to add the cover. It is a crazy task to go one by one. There is not an automatism to do it?

Thanks