Engine Prime Hard Drive

Ahem…

Forums can sometimes get several [different] points raised in one thread, not ideal, but not a reason not to play nice.

Two tangents here:

a) If Windows won’t even see a particular external drive - then Engine Prime, running on Windows has no tangible chance of seeing the drive.

b) If windows will see a particular external drive, but Engine Prime can’t see it, then those exact makes and models of drive(*) need to be put into their own individual threads.

(*) Some makers of external drives DONT make the hard drive that is really in the heart of their external caddy. So, a Freedom, Lacie, Porsche, Buffalo (and many others) external drive could feature hard drive manufacturers (Seagate/maxtor/Samsung etc) drive within. You could even buy two “identical” external drives off of a shelf in a computer shop somewhere, and open them both up to find two different makes of hard drive inside. Performance (and behaviour) could be different for each drive.

Thanks @Gee_DenonDJ.

Re; A: I think we all can accept and understand that this then is not a Denon issue but a Windows issue.

Re. B: are you suggesting we first open the shell of our external HDD drive to be able to mention in this forum which HDD is inside?

My Toshiba external drive has no screws, I will have to use force to open it, and not likely to be closed nicely again… This is a perfect working drive, used with my previous CDJ’s and purchased for my SC2900 a few years back. So why would I do this?

Please understand being able to use an External HDD is important for a lot of users that have an extensive collection, or Denon should make a statement that External HDD’s should not be used and only USB thumb drives will work correctly.

Not receiving an anwer on the posted questions could result in frustration…

1 Like

[/quote]

I would hope that there would be a hands-off method of discerning 3rd party collaborations of inner drives - either by software identifying the internal drive ID or at worst, contacting the (outer) products manufacturer and quoting a serial number. Without a serial number, they may only be able to say that their drives of “that” size were made using make/model A/B/C etc drives - which might narrow it down a bit.

Most of the actual drive manufacturers have free downloadable software from their websites which identifies their drives, in nearly all enclosures/caddies.

Use of external HDD is known to be important to many, myself included.

my external drive is a Toshiba pretty certain the HDD used is also from Toshiba as they are a HDD Manufacturer themself.

do you require any more information from me/my drive?

What would be the next step

Nothing more required from you at this stage. Just keep an eye out for forthcoming enhancements.

Thanks again, your answer gives me the impression you confirm there is problem with Engine Prime not seeing the external USB HDD.

Maybe we don’t like to hear the but then at least we know this is a problem and that de Denon team is working on it.

1 Like

My own thoughts on this, this is me as a DJ and hard drive user, is that Windows 10 seems to be quite… defined… as to what it likes to see with hard drives - almost as though Windows 10 got “fussy”.

For years and years, I’ve always preferred to make my own external hard drive solutions. So, I would buy an IDE, or more recently SATA internal hard drive, complete in its anti-static bag and plain brown cardboard box, and choose a “perfect” external drive caddy/enclosure with features that I wanted e.g.: Mains powered, fan cooled, no rubber coating, decent connections, not multiple interfaces etc.

I’'ve probably made a couple of dozen such drives (only having about 3 or 4 in use at any one time) and it’s only Windows 10 which seems picky with them really being internal drives, moved into an external casing. Windows 10 ignores one of my drives, but the same drive is recognised fine by my one remaining Windows 7 laptop. Odd behaviour, but maybe its a Microsoft security thing for some reason.

Anyway, Denon hat back on, and we’ll keep you posted with whatever conclusion the development team come up with, in getting Engine Prime spotting drives which Windows 10 spots.

2 Likes

thanks @Gee_DenonDJ.

Agree with you that Windows is not always the best, however, don’t want to beat a dead horse here, windows is not the problem in this example as all Enigine users with this issue can work with their external drive in Windows.

The problem starts with Engine Prime, there the external drive doesn’'t show up…

Bottom line appreciate your last statement: [quote=“Gee_DenonDJ, post:28, topic:4184”] getting Engine Prime spotting drives which Windows 10 spots [/quote]

1 Like

It’s definitely Engine Prime on Windows… Like I’ve said before “Same HD works perfect on the MAC Engine Prime”

Ok now I have to bite the dust and appologize to @Gee_DenonDJ and @DJ_Boothe.

Like a miracle now I do see my external drive in Enigine with my Windows PC…

Not the way we expect but at least I can use it, i.e. as an internal drive iso an external drive.

As a number of other users now I see my extarnal USB HDD in the “file system browser” within Engine. Till yesterday my external drive didn’t even showed up here. Today I bought a new 1TB Toshiba USB 3.0 HDD, did a format to exfat and voilla it shows up in Engine. The strange thing is that my other external drive still doesn’t show up in Engine…there is an issue with Engine not seeing all external drives and Denon should be looking into this as well.

However what is strange and would like to see changed is that this external drive is showing up as an internal drive and does not show up in the Device section in Engine like an real external drive.

That’s been the problem all along. An external HD formatted to FAT32 or exFAT will not show up in the device section of Engine Prime on Windows 10 because Windows don’t see them as removable drives. That’s the conclusion I’ve come too so far. But the strange thing I’ve found is if you change the drive letter, to anything after F: the drive becomes removable. As in you get the pop-up. “What would you like to do with this removable drive”. So I still feel the problem is with Engine Prime on a Windows PC.

I’d love to know if someone out there got an external HD 1-2TB to work on PC. Because I know that my 2TB and 4TB HD’s work with MAC and I still have no joy with Windows.

I ordered my players today and plugged in my Toshiba hard drive to prepare my music before they arrive. Surprise surprise it didn’t work either. Can anyone advise on what brands they have had work with Engine Prime on Windows 10 so I can buy a new one Thanks

What format is the drive currently ?

Needs to be FAT or EX-FAT with MBR

i tried EX-FAT but that didn’t work so i reformated to FAT32

Had this myself, drive shows up in windows but not in Engine Prime, not sure what I did but eventually it started showing up, but to put it in brief engine Prime keeps ejecting my Hard drive from engine Prime only not my PC or at least appears to be doing that without the error message.

So I have to presume its my transcendence so I have had to raise the money to by yet another hard drive with the hope that its going to work without these issues, although that does not give me much confidence in knowing what hard drive manufacture / model I should buy, nothing definitive ??? need to buy one but have no more than £69 again if this fails I have spent twice the money and then I am totally Doomed, I tried to start a thread for this so we can see what drives are tried and tested, but I cant find this post from the day before, not that anyone has replied yet, so stuck waiting researching what Drive to buy - what a midfield.