Engine Prime Control Surface/ Unit

More like hid not midi. Don’t confuse HID like on the players. Keyboard and mouse are also hid devices.

I would dare to suggest that even something, like the Xone K1 or K2, could also be developed, take into account the possible future Engine Prime software evolution.

Yet, this is ment as a dedicated prepping unit. And thats what this post is all about.

Other things might also be possible yes.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I suggested it, as something tailored exclusively around both present and future Engine Prime development. If we are lucky and your proposed control surface ideea will be taken into consideration by Denon DJ, it will be just great.

1 Like

Sorry m8 - my fault :pray: I understood it as you wanted it to also be able to play gigs from, connected to Engine Prime. And thats another thread :joy:

Not necessarily, but I was only trying to forsee what I believe many amongst us would wish, namely the Engine Prime development as a full fledged DJ software solution. If, not, that’s ok too, because the proposed control surface ideea is wonderful in itself.

1 Like

I use my SC5ks and personally I dont want a computer connected while on a gig. I use my Mac to control soundswitch instead.

The focus for me, with this, is just to make prepping as easy as possible with the most needed things on a single control. Cues, loops, and beatgrid editing.

I dont need pitch and other faders to prep. :joy:

I could make a complete new mockup with integrated screen, keyboard and so on and so on… But then the idea of a tiny and clean unit easy to connect to the computer, on the desk, at the cafe or where ever you are prepping, kinda goes away :blush:

But like I said, I misunderstood the intention of your post, and I’m Sorry for that :slightly_smiling_face:

Entirely agree with you, but, you know…once a concept or an ideea leaves the bottle, there’s a chance for others here to express their own wishes and dreams. And the most important thing here is to continue dreaming and envisioning ways to make our life wonderful.

1 Like

I know, and others are more than welcome to come with their ideas… Hopefully we just can keep the thread about this sort of solution and not start creating a new controller for gigs :joy:

I can’t speak for others, but personally, I really do hope for Denon DJ to embrace the future of your ideea for this control surface and the sooner the better.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I just hope they see the post… And yes, Embrace it :joy:

Thanks m8. Good evening to you.

But why not prepping from the players themselves? I would love to have all the ideas you mention, implemented on the players.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to these things on the players as well, and hope that they will make the grid editing etc on the players available soon.

But not everyone pulls out their SC5000 / SC6000 setup just to sit and prepare/ sort tracks. Many also want to be able to do this directly in Engine Prime when they import tracks at the same time.

With a control like this, it will just be easier in that process.

1 Like

Why not ask for a numark dj2go type controller for ep? Ep’s gotta xfader too.

It’s better to leave EP as a bulk analysis tool for the heavy tasks and the prime decks can do the on fly analysis and manual fine tuning of the 5-20 tracks you might add weekly.

Really, there should be an EP Go app for the iPhone/iPad to be able to analyze and prep tracks from anywhere anytime in a world of busybodies.

Seems like some people dont get the idea. :slightly_smiling_face:

So I will try again…

The idea for this control is sololy for editing tracks in EP - not for sitting and trying out mixes in EP.

Sololy for editing tracks eg. placing Hotcues, placing loops and fixing the often faulty bpms. A tiny and easy unit you can have placed in a drawer, on your desk or where ever you want to use it connected to your computer.

Nothing else.

Turn on EP, import tracks and run through the tracks with this on the side, quickly making sure that you place the cues and loops where you want them.

Not for testing mixes like I said…

I know there is a “2 player function” in EP, but you cant edit 2 tracks at the same time anyway.

And besides of that I still hope that we will get the Edit grid function on the units as well…

This is just a extra tool for when you sit with your computer and fixing those last imported tracks.

I understand what your saying but, not including the jogwheel, almost all else can be done with keyboard shortcuts.

Anyone using EP on a Microsoft Surface tablet-top? Actually this might be the best on hand option so far. :grin:

Either people use the mouse, and then there is dragging it around, rightclicking etc. Mousepad is almost a 2 hand situation. (almost)

So with a dedicated unit like this, it can ‘all’ be done with the press of a button, and practically no movement, besides typing names on cues and loops, or turning the jogwheel. :slightly_smiling_face:

But again, its just an idea and people are not forced to like it :joy:

Just want to make sure people understand the idea instead of thinking of is as a tool to test mixes etc. For this use, there is no need for faders and so on.

3 Likes

Why not just update the players to be able control the software instead of adding another item that needs to be purchased?

Every function mentioned could be implemented into the existing players instead of adding new gear and more cost.

Because this could be a tiny desktop unit so you dont need to turn on your full setup

It’s meant as a quick Engine Prime management tool. Say if you’re on a plane or in a hotel with a laptop, but without complete gear.

2 Likes