Engine Prime Control Surface/ Unit

I can’t see this appearing as hardware but as it’s so easy now to have two independent screens on a PC or laptop, I could see this layout being shown on a second screen to click on, alongside Engine Prime on the main screen

Then you are back to using your mouse on the screen, which you can use just as good directly in Engine Prime.

This (again, in my mind :smiley: ) is handy and much quicker as things can happen just by a press of a button.

But its also just made out of my imagination :smiley:

1 Like

Add a pitch control & a couple of hot cues, & you’ve also got a controller for the second layer when only working with one deck.

Its not ment as a control unit to play music from in front of a crowd.

Its only ment as a unit when you sit and prepare your tracks, listening to them in your headphones.

I will prefer keyboard shortcut to access the functions just like Serato DJ

1 Like

I just made two feature requests for improved Engine Prime functionality. I hope you will find it useful and help bring them in.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/go-to-time-option-in-time-display-window/18875

https://community.enginedj.com/t/add-delete-cue-option-in-waveform-display-window/18877

All they have to do is bring out the mk2 version of this little thing that was way ahead of it’s time.

2 Likes

Kim, I think it’s a great idea!

I use the “crown” on my Logitech keyboard to do simple stuff in SoundForge.

Indeed one handed and blindly operable, like some of these devices do:

3 Likes

Control surfaces are indeed very useful, although not many people use them as much as it should, except for the ones working in studio editing environments. I put them to very good use.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the layout and how well integrated it is, whether people use it or not. And at a fair pricetag (around 150-200$), I think it could be a great asset.

@Reese - thank you, I’m glad you like the idea. And yes, exactly like the units you show. Not to much, only the needed stuff to quickly prepare your tracks.

I know I would buy one :joy:

1 Like

Yep, I had a pair of these. …lovely little units. For quite awhile my rig of choice was a pair of these flight cased with a Kontrol Z2 running Traktor. If somebody could make these talk to the SC5000 & control it’s 2nd layer, I’d be delighted.

Anyway, i’m hijacking this thread. so lets get back to discussing a unit suitable for track prep. :slight_smile:

Maybe I do not understand this post entirely, but it seems to me that all that DenonDJ would need to do is make Engine Prime MIDI mappable. Then the user could map the desired functions to ANY control surface (I suppose one of the excellent DJTechtools midi surfaces would suffice). I remember the late TORQ-DJ software had a very elegant way of configuring MIDI mappable controls. All you had to do was right click the control on screen and move a button, slider, encoder, whatever your heart desired on your control surface.

2 Likes

This was more to keep it in the same ‘product-line’ as the rest of the Prime setup. :slightly_smiling_face: A dedicated unit.

More like hid not midi. Don’t confuse HID like on the players. Keyboard and mouse are also hid devices.

I would dare to suggest that even something, like the Xone K1 or K2, could also be developed, take into account the possible future Engine Prime software evolution.

Yet, this is ment as a dedicated prepping unit. And thats what this post is all about.

Other things might also be possible yes.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I suggested it, as something tailored exclusively around both present and future Engine Prime development. If we are lucky and your proposed control surface ideea will be taken into consideration by Denon DJ, it will be just great.

1 Like

Sorry m8 - my fault :pray: I understood it as you wanted it to also be able to play gigs from, connected to Engine Prime. And thats another thread :joy:

Not necessarily, but I was only trying to forsee what I believe many amongst us would wish, namely the Engine Prime development as a full fledged DJ software solution. If, not, that’s ok too, because the proposed control surface ideea is wonderful in itself.

1 Like

I use my SC5ks and personally I dont want a computer connected while on a gig. I use my Mac to control soundswitch instead.

The focus for me, with this, is just to make prepping as easy as possible with the most needed things on a single control. Cues, loops, and beatgrid editing.

I dont need pitch and other faders to prep. :joy:

I could make a complete new mockup with integrated screen, keyboard and so on and so on… But then the idea of a tiny and clean unit easy to connect to the computer, on the desk, at the cafe or where ever you are prepping, kinda goes away :blush:

But like I said, I misunderstood the intention of your post, and I’m Sorry for that :slightly_smiling_face: