Engine Prime 1.5 almost ready

fully agree with you. In my country (Holland) it’s even a long weekend since Monday is an official holiday. Unless they keep the support staff active during the weekend and the communications to the development team wide open.

The flipside of the coin: Denon DJ also has a marketing aspect to consider and a Friday release with an under NDA send press release would make the most impact. DJ related websites/vlogs etc draw the most traffic during the weekend, at least this is the case for my own public communication channels.

Is this “almost ready” status just an replacement phrase from “just round the corner” which was he replace from “come soon” ?

I am of thinking there will be simultaneous release of engine prime 1.5 and all firmwares all in same long away day

Think they maybe set video to schedule posting date and time whiles a ago but then release last day changed to later for engine prime 1.5 but all staff forgot to change video posting schedule on YouTube ?

Covid-19 and operations in various time zones makes synchronizing roll outs tricky. But I agree, Denon DJ used to be very sharp at this.

Guys … the video is NOT officially visible: if you look carefully, this video has the “not listed” mode, so only if you have the link can you get there. :wink:

1 Like

another sharp observation @DjAj cheers!

So my question is were did the link come from someone part of Denon team maybe leaked it ?

Maybe the video was public first then someone transformed it setting to private not listed when they video starting to did get views

Or maybe those who manage the links on youtube made a mistake, and I was in the wrong place at the right time! :grin:

@LargoS No, it was “unlisted” already when I found it (and saw it).

I was kinda thinking the same thing, anyway, updates are always good so lets see what this brings.

I always have a set with the newest update or if the update is not new I am allowed to update (always have a way to do it. Same was when I played on cdj’s - new software or out of the booth with the junk.

Live dangerously my friend :slight_smile: I’m no fan of last minute updates before a gig.

CDJ’s never had any compatibility problems regardless of the version of Rekordbox version the CDJ USB drive was created with. Within the limitations of the CDJ itself of course.

for now Denon DJ had one, the upgrade that introduced nested playlist fodlers. I forgot the exact firmware number but I think it was 1.2.1 that was no longer back-worth compatible with lower firmware versions.

Are most of you totally relying on Engine Prime in its current state or are you using another software. I found my confidence went early with EP when I bought my Prime 4 a year ago. I am currently reliant upon Serato, but keen to be laptop free if EP 1.5 can prove a success.

the base of my workflow is:

• iTunes for collection management
  • Traktor for DJ preparations with the aid of Mixed in Key

my own tools to get it all on a Prime performance drive

and if you’re interested here is how I keep it all in sync without any duplicate labor (conversion to Rekordbox, Serato, algoriddim’s djay Pro (also for iOS) and Denon Prime)

1 Like

@MixMasterG_ATGR.nl never had an issue with an update. Always all went smoothly.

If you encountered any issues then just check if You are doing the update correctly. All updates I had went good.

I use only engine prime.

I think this is holding the Prime team back with developing the dynamic beatgrids. Players on an older firmware still need to be able to play tracks and show the correct beatgrid information even when they do not yet support dynamic beatgrids.

It is very import that there is no fragmentation on a firmware level. Any Engine Prime prepared USB should work on any Engine OS firmware/hardware.

They should be to leave the mcx 8000 out from these dynamic beatgrids ? To let dynamic Beatgrids come to all our full real primes?

Well they should implement it in such a way that future exported USB’s can still be read by the MCX8000 (or any Prime player) without a firmware update.

USB’s exported in the newest version of Engine Prime, when dynamic beatgrid become a thing, should still show beatgrids on older players, as non-dynamic in that case.

Kinda like how USB’s exported in older versions of Rekordbox still show the old style NXS blue/white waveforms when plugging into a NXS2 player (with RGB on).

If there fragmentation than you will never know if your USB will work on THAT specific prime player. It is already a nightmare to ask a promoter if a Pioneer DJ system is NXS or NXS2, let alone ask for a firmware version.

These are my thoughts exactly. I happen to know a bit about the inner working of Engine Prime. It is possible to implement dynamic grids and remaining back-worth compatibility but it requires a bit of trickery and on gear on older firmware the grid would still be static with warping.

It’s something the whole industry has to keep in mind. We call it “remmende voorsprong” in Dutch, would translate to “slowing down lead” e.g. Native Instruments can’t implement user selectable colors for cues/loops in Traktor without giving up back worth compatibility.

Totally agree, just look at what Pioneer DJ is doing. The reason they moved RGB waveforms to a seperate ANLZ file is because the older players would be unable to load such a big (relatively) file in memory.

The easiest solution, in my opinion, is to just add a separate database/table with the new dynamic beatgrid data, however if you keep doing this over time the database will become a big mess.