Dust on jogwheel display - how to remove jogwheel?

Hi guys,

One of my SC5000’s is starting to get dust on the jogwheel display, underneath the plastic cover on the jog, so it’s not possible to clean this off.

I’ve seen a couple of threads with a similar issue.

How difficult is it to get the jogwheel off for cleaning? Does anybody have a basic how to? I’ve seen a couple of threads with photo’s where the player is stripped down, and I gather the jogwheel is simply held on by the large central nut? Is it simply a case of half stripping the player down, and then releasing this nut? Or do all of the secondary boards/components etc need to tbe stripped down in the process?

Thanks

Now that you’ve noticed the dust it’s probably impossible not to notice the tiny particles. The absolute most that I’d suggest as any sort of DIY remedy is to try blowing a can of compressed air in puffs around from various side of the jog wheel.

It’s worth running a vacuum cleaner around the sides and undersides of the model and surrounding area, after all that dust has got to be coming from somewhere. if it’s the motorised platter version they have a fan and grill to get rid of the motor heat so that’s another place for dust to get in.

I wouldn’t open it yourself. The main display is heat glued in place, the platter display may be also.

If you cant ignore the dust particles and the compressed air doesn’t work then you may need to send it into a service centre for cleaning, which would be unusual for the Primes

Thanks for the quick response.

It’s just the standard SC5000, not the M.

I’ve barely used the players so it seems pretty poor that they’re letting dust in already, particularly into an area which you would expect to be sealed. They aren’t used in a particularly dusty environment or anything.

This isn’t just a couple of specs either, there’s quite a bit in there.

I’m pretty technically competent, so I don’t mind stripping the player down, but would be good to know if the jog wheel itself is easy to release? Just the single nut?

I would sugest finding a service manual - or at least pics of spare jog and center display parts. I believe further disassembly of the jog is needed to acess the center display. I searched myself for the service manual but never found it. All my 3 SC’s are about 2-3 years old and I would like to disassemble all 3 for some cleaning/checking - a service manual would be nice to avoid surprises :grin: