Duplication of files in Prime

I’ve newly started using Engine Prime to manage music for a Prime GO.

I can see some previous posts pointing out issues with tracks being duplicated in the ‘collection’ but don’t see a resolution.

Is there a recommended workflow to avoid this?

Essentially I want to create crates that describe tracks in a variety of ways (roller, vocal, banger, intro etc). Some may appear in multiple crates.

I noticed that when first creating a crate and dragging tracks from collection to it, it seemed to be creating a duplication of it in my collection. I ended up getting confused by the duplicates and distracted by trying to de-duplicate several times to the point of abandoning the idea altogether.

Am I using crates incorrectly here? Is there a better way to achieve this?

I’m also now wary of spending time attempting to do create and manage crates on the device itself in case I plug the SD card into the computer and it makes a confusing mess of my collection on the PC.

I get the same thing - sort of. I have a Dropbox folder that I use, so it shows all the files in Dropbox too. I also have a USB drive, so when that connected, it shows it 3 times. I think this is how the software is designed to work, to be honest - I just need to remember to check the source column.

1 Like

Yes I know, it is very chaotic to see the same track duplicated because it is present both in the collection and on the remote drive. Unfortunately this is how it works, until they decide to find a solution (perhaps by observing what other competitors are doing with similar software :wink:).

In order not to have duplicates I always remove the remote units after updating the collection: maybe I have modified some hotcues or loops while I was using the console. So there is only the song in the collection.

But I think @Theorie was referring to duplicate songs that he sees when he puts the same track in multiple crates.

3 Likes

Aaahh - ok. I’m relatively new to Engine Prime, so am not the best person to answer the question.

1 Like

Now that you mention this, the SD card was plugged in the whole time, so that may have contributed to the issues here.

Next time I will only put it in when I’m ready to sync it and transfer onto it and see if this helps. Thanks!

I do this steps with my SDXC or with a USB stick:

1. I insert it the first time, then I start Engine Prime, then if the symbol appears indicating that I have to update the collection with the data of the remote unit, I perform the update. In this way I am sure that the collection is updated and I avoid that with the next step I am going to eliminate some changes that I may have made directly on the Prime 4. This is very important if you do like me who many times move the position of the Hotcue or loop.

2. At this point, with the appropriate icon, I eject the remote drive and also physically remove it from the PC slot. Thus all duplicates disappear.

3. I update the collection, check the grid of the new tracks, insert hotcues etc.

4. I insert my remote unit into the PC for the second time. Now using SYNC MANAGER I transfer the changes to the old crates or add the new ones to the remote unit.

1 Like

I had this same issue.

I placed all my fines on a new external 1tb drive. They were mixed a little; single files and some folders of files. Engine created it’s library in the drive which it appeared (obviously) at the “en…” level in the file tree. As I started building creates, I noticed my drive was getting bigger. I have 500+GB of files (I do a lot of weddings).

I noticed the drive was running a little slow (it’s a Samsung T7 and it’s one of the faster drives out there; 1TB). When I ran an analysis, that 500GB’s turned into 875GB in just over a week without me adding tracks.

I can only contribute this to Engine was making a copy of ALL the tracks that were placed in a sub-crate into the Engine:Music folder. Umm wait what?

Any thoughts? Now I’m stuck with using Playlist and without nesting, I have an infinite scrolling of playlist to change up the mix.