Duplicates & Library Backup & Run Cleanup

I have a few questions about Engine Prime…

(1) Is there a setting to “ignore” duplicate files “without” removing them?? If so, how do i access it. I have a lot of the same music files in different crates for faster access. It would be nice if only one file was displayed when there are duplicates.

(2) In the settings menu there is a Library Backup option… Is that going to backup gigabytes of music storage (in which i have no room for)… Or does it just create a “smaller” Library file??

(3) What does Run Cleanup actually do?? The only files i have are good music files. What does it actually cleanup??

This software is really slick… Creating CUE points and Loops could not be any simpler… Way to go Denon Dj.

You are wasting disk space.

You can have the same file in multiple crates and playlist.

Crates and Playlists are like virtual lists. Playlists allows the same track to be added multiple times, whereas Crates do not allow the same track to be added multiple times.

Another way to look at it is that Playlist will be a planned set list (but not necessarily so)

No. It backs up the Engine database. This is what engine prime needs to remember what tracks has cuepoints, loops, key info etc

I believe this removes links and data stored for tracks that you have deleted from engine prime collection thus reducing the size of the database that i mentioned above.

2 Likes

Thank you…

The only downside i see (unless i’m missing something) is the saved CUEs & LOOPs are only saving to the one file i am working on and are not carried over to any of their duplicate copies.

1 Like

That’s why to avoid duplicates

you can run your music through rekordcloud, it has a smart duplicates finder and delete

It will also merge hotcues to the copy of the duplicates you intend to keep

Powerful stuff

@Christiaan is the dev, you can PM him

2 Likes

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Perhaps these useful features will make it into a future Engine Prime software update.

Hopefully someone can help me… My engine library folder on the hard drive of my computer is nearly 40gb and is taking up so much space.

I have checked and the engine library folder seems to have duplicated all the music I have imported into engine Dj. So for example if I download a new track into my music folder on my hard drive and then drag and drop it into engine DJ it creates another copy of the track in my engine library folder.

Is this how it should work? It Seems odd to me to duplicate the track! Especially as if I move the track from it’s original computer folder, engine dj cannot find it, despite also being in the engine library folder.

Any help would be appreciated :+1:

Perhaps Engine DJ is treating the hard drive as a removable drive.

No

1. Post your computer specs?

2. How many drives do you have in the computer?

3. Share a picture of Engine DJ with the drives panel opened

Hi Mufasa, thank for your help on this. My laptop specs are:

• Lenovo V155-12API
  • AMD Ryzen 3500U
  • 6gb DDR4 RAM
  • 256gb SSD

Do you need any more details on the laptop?

I only have one drive, my main C drive.

Screenshot below of Engine DJ with drive panel open. Let me know if you need any more information.

One other thing to mention is that I cannot backup my library (and havent been able to for a while) when I try, it goes through the process and gets to 99% and then it comes up with the following error:

You may need to rebuild your library.

When things get this way a fresh start may be needed.

Copy the entire Engine Folder in Music folder to somewhere safe since you mentioned that you have actual music files in it. Maybe to an external storage or Dropbox.

Delete the c>music>engine folder.

Restart engine dj

Should be empty

Add a music folder and see if the behavior is as expected or not

I thought I may have to do that :disappointed_relieved:

Is there a way that I can save the cue points etc and playlists from engine dj?

You could try using Lexicon. There’s a month trial I understand, so you could try to see if it could read your current broken engine library. You can upload your Engine Library to Lexicon, then rebuild your Engine Library, transfer back to Engine from Lexicon and see if your hot cues and playlist will come back.

Alternative is to kind of a drag and drop your engine library playlist into something else maybe Serato DJ, iTunes, Rekordbox DJ or virtual DJ. and once you delete the old engine library, you could try drag and drop the playlist back from any of those software but no hot cues

Edited - I voice dictated my initial message and it was savage…voice dictating does not agree with my Nigerian accent.

2 Likes

Really appreciate your help on this, thank you. I will have a look tonight and see what I can do.

I edited my post above to correct the typos.

1 Like

I subscribed to lexicon and imported my engine library and then deleted it off my hard drive, then exported lexicon back into engine dj and it is all back up and running properly and I have managed to keep all my cue points etc. Thank you for the great suggestion!

Lexicon is amazing! I have subscribed for one month so that I can sort my library out, it is such a powerful piece of software! It’s a shame engine dj doesn’t have the features of lexicon!

2 Likes