DN-SC3900 screen display idea

DN-SC3900 screen display idea Neurosis Sooo…I’ve been toying with this idea.

When I first grabbed a TSI for my 3700’s, I got it from the wonderful Wyley from his youtube channel.

Now, this came with DN-HC4500 parts for the display. However, I noticed in hybrid mode the pitch numbers went crazy so I got rid of it from the list. But, I’ve had a thought. Where does this display information (track name etc) come from? Seeing as Denon Music Manager scans the track and simply puts the image of the waveform into the ID3/Tag section of the track, couldn’t we have that sent to the display in MIDI/Hybrid mode. :stuck_out_tongue: Crazy idea, I know! But it would mean we could look more at our Denon’s than our Screens? • DJ_Boothe Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Having the couple of lines of text duplicated from the big lappy screen, into the deck screens put a huge drain on lappy resources for (almost) purely cosmetic reasons only. Even to the point that some lappys had to have their latency (time lag between a control being pressed and the lappy/DJ software reacting to that push/press) settings worsened purely to cope with the processing overheads of a couple of lines of text.

I would imagine that adding a third piece of data, especially a graphic piece, would make latency matters worse.

Until we get to the stage where the lappy can stay closed fr the entire gig, or better still, left at home, duplicating already displayed info at the expense of system performance, might be a bit of a pipedream.

Neurosis Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:25 am Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Okay, cool.

However, if someone could furnish me with the midi value for hotcues to be shown on the VFD, and also the time of the track, that could work.

Denon’s manuals give the command/number/hex value thingy, but Unfortunately, Traktor’s are weird and hard to discover
• DJ Semi Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Hi Neurosis,

The best you will probably be able to do is make use of the existing DN 4500 tsi display files already on the forums. Here’s a URL to one such post that you can review for more info.

Display Track Information on 3700s

You will be limited to the ‘fields’ that can physically be output to the SC3700 display via MIDI. Hot Cue information is not possible using this method (because you normally only see it as red markers on the wave form created in Music Manager/Engine). So most people output Hot Cue information from Traktor directly to the corresponding Hot Cue button on the player, not the display.

The Time elapsed information is already being sent from Traktor to the Denon display using the tsi available at the URL above, so at least that’s something.

Cheers,

Semi • Neurosis Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Well, thanks for the reply, man.

Okay, so what you’re saying is there’s no way to get the hotcue markers to show up on the display, like they do in timecode mode? • DJ Semi Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:36 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Neurosis wrote:Well, thanks for the reply, man.

Okay, so what you’re saying is there’s no way to get the hotcue markers to show up on the display, like they do in timecode mode?

I’m saying that you’re limited to not just what the Denon screen can physically display but also to what information NI allow to be output from Traktor in standard MIDI mode. To date, I’m not aware of any ‘OUT’ commands from Traktor that will allow the display of Cue points, Loops and the wave forms on which they sit out to an external display. And even if they provided this, as Boothe points out, the constant stream of data to the player required to maintain the display overly taxes the computer and can compromise your audio - so I’ve taken the display tsi’s out of my setup as well.

The reason you are seeing Cue points in when using Music Manager or Engine is because the software has stamped this information into the MP3 itself and the players are capable of reading this on the fly to display to the player screens. When using Traktor, this waveform/cue point reading function needs to be replaced by whatever Traktor can spit out - and again, I’m not aware of any such MIDI commands available in Traktor for you to do this.

Can I ask why you are trying to do this in the first place? Isn’t viewing the cue point information on a high res waveform on your laptop screen much easier than trying to squint at a tiny red dot on low res waveform on the Denon display? The only way I could switch from the laptop display to the Denon display when using Traktor is if all the key information made the transition…including the ability to switch between time remain/elapsed and being able to see on the Denon itself the traktor playlists I am scrolling through (i.e. like you were using Music Manager or Engine).

Without Denon and Traktor making an agreement to engage in their own Advanced HID project, I wouldn’t expect to see detailed wave forms, cue points and scrollable Traktor playlists coming to a Denon screen direct from Traktor any time soon…so for now, you are best off either using the Denon decks as ‘Prosumer’ controllers and the Laptop for your hi-res Traktor display - or switch to using Music Manager to stamp your mp3’s with Cue Point information that can be read back natively from the Denon players and displayed on the smaller screens there. • Neurosis Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? That’s cool. Thanks for your in-depth answer

I agree, btw. I took my VFD map off. It seems more stable now.

In fact, I’d like to get rid of the irritating ‘Completed!’ message that pops up in hybrid mode! • DJ Semi Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:50 am Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Neurosis wrote:I’d like to get rid of the irritating ‘Completed!’ message that pops up in hybrid mode!

What message would you like to be displayed there instead once the players have been successfully connected to your PC? You’d need to ask Denon nicely if they would change the player firmware to change the ‘Completed’ message default to anything else. Or maybe you just want the message to go away after a few seconds leaving the screen blank? Whilst waiting for that wish to be granted, can you not just ignore the message when using MIDI mode and concentrate on the crowd or laptop screen instead? Or if it is really that distracting, have you tried putting gaffer tape across the display?
• DJ_Boothe

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:51 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? Awwww don’t get his hopes up for no reason. The 3700 had its firmware space filled several years ago. And sure, having less characters displayed on a display means less characters stored in firmware (after all “Go!” Is shorter than “Completed!”) but Denon DJ generally only release a firmware upgrade when there’s a) Serious requirement and b) storage capacity for …several things to be added at once and there isn’t any more room. • DJ_Double_A Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:52 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? You’d need to ask Denon nicely if they would change the player firmware to change the ‘Completed’ message default to anything else…

Sorry, but that’s not gonna happen due to the reasons DJ Booth already mentioned. • DJ Semi Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? DJ_Double_A wrote:Sorry, but that’s not gonna happen due to the reasons DJ Booth already mentioned.

Gaffer tape it is then!

FWIW, I dont mind the ‘Completed’ message remaining constantly on display…

a) whilst displayed, I know by a glance that the MIDI connection for that device is active

b) it’s not moving/scrolling text - so is not distracting the corner of my eye

c) During a set, I’m mainly looking at the crowd or the laptop for track info or to select another song. I can feel by touch the platter and core selector, play & cue buttons - so not much need or time to be looking down at the player screens anyway.

DJ_Double_A Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:22 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? FWIW, I dont mind the ‘Completed’ message remaining constantly on display…a) whilst displayed, I know by a glance that the MIDI connection for that device is active

And that is why it’s there. If that word was removed and the deck was disconnected for whatever reason, the person using it wouldn’t know about it until they went to play from it. Then they’d probably be confused as to what just happened and then have to trouble shooting the issue. Not a fun thing to do when you have a large group of people in front of you dancing and having a good time.

The way it is right now, if the word “Completed” is shown on the screen you are good to good… if not, it’s not connected yet. Easy peasy. • ACE Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 pm Re: Attn DN-S3700 / DN-SC3900 owners. Interesting idea? I’d like to get rid of the irritating ‘Completed!’ message that pops up in hybrid mode! You can quite easily do that if you want, you can even put your own custom text on the display if that’s what you’re after. Static letters / words use up very little extra pc resources so you don’t have to worry about latency etc. It just takes a bit of time & patience, but once you get the hang of it, it’s very easy to do.

You might find something there that can help you.