Denon SC2900/Traktor scratch Pro

Shockey Oct 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Evening Guys,

I have super weird issue with my SC-2900 with scratch pro 2 and a denon x1600 mixer running both in hybrid mode with latest firmware and latest scratch pro 2.6.8

It all set up using the TSI file on Denon DJ website but basically load up traktor and switch the SC-2900 on and press MIDI on the deck one of deck A or B won’t switch. Ideas? Was wondering if it’s an update bug?

Another issue I’ve found is the cue points numbered 1-4 or looping A or B points only work on one deck the song that first plays but not the other?

Can’t see there being a lot wrong, Thanks for any input in advance

Shockey.

robdquick Oct 17, 2014 9:47 am

Are you using them as hybrid players or in just plain old MIDI mode?? Have you changed the MIDI channel of one of the decks so that they are different??

I would suggest finding the midi map that one of the members on here has made (I can’t remember his name and I can’t find the thread with it in) but it is much better than the default mapping.

Shockey Oct 17, 2014 11:01 am

Yes there both in hybrid mode and both run on different midi channels

Channel 1 for deck A channel 2 for deck B

As the mapping is looks like it requires chanoel 1 and 2 have been thinking as I’ve got a copy of xtreme mapping for my mac to map it as I can’t get anything running 100% how my old pioneer controller running.

DJ Semi Oct 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Sockey,

Has this ever worked before, or is this the first time you are having problems?

Sounds like either the tsi files are not installed correctly inside of Traktor to pick up the second (midi channel 2) player, or the 2nd player has not been defined to issue commands to channel 2 in the first place (i.e. it has another midi channel assigned within the unit itself).

Have you checked the connectivity of the second player? When you switch it on and enter Hybrid mode so that it connects to your computer and says ‘complete’ on the display, get Traktor loaded up and verify that the tsi is installed correctly. If you now click a button (loop, play, cue etc), do you see the blue MIDI light at the top of the screen light up each time you press something on that second Denon unit? If you don’t, the connection is not made yet - check your USB leads and player settings again. If you do see blinking blue light every time you press a button on the SC2900, go into the Controller manager and open up a fresh mapping file. ‘learn’ any command and press a button on the SC2900. Which channel is it showing on the display? Whichever channel is showing here needs to be the same one that the SC2900 traktor mapping shows. If not, change the midi channel or mapping to match.

Thanks,

Semi

Shockey Oct 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Is there any better maps out there other than the denondj.com standard?

I have checked just the MIDI channels are the same as traktor are there any other setting that can cause conflict?

I basically bought the package from BPM last month and have been playing with scratch pro demo got it working and bought the upgrade romantic their website seems like it’s me or the tsi fault/mappings fault.

Didn’t know if there was issues as the 1010 update is quite recent like a month old didn’t know if there was a bug?

DJ Semi Oct 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Shockey wrote: Is there any better maps out there other than the denondj.com standard?

I have checked just the MIDI channels are the same as traktor are there any other setting that can cause conflict?

I basically bought the package from BPM last month and have been playing with scratch pro demo got it working and bought the upgrade romantic their website seems like it’s me or the tsi fault/mappings fault.

Didn’t know if there was issues as the 1010 update is quite recent like a month old didn’t know if there was a bug?

Latest firmware is 1162 from September but that shouldn’t stop the decks from working in midi mode. I have midi maps you can try but they are for straight midi mode only, not hybrid. You can see more on how they work at this link here. If you want to give it a try, let me know and I’ll post the link to you.

pachanga Nov 06, 2014 12:20 pm

hey semi,

can you please send me you tsi file for the normal midi mode. have send you an email too

thank you

DJ Semi Nov 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Sure…

The tsi files can be found in the folder at the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1alqiwdo08m … tvi1jpvPAa

Please copy out what you need, do not move or delete!

N.B. You need to (small) import SC2900 Deck A DJ Semi.tsi and SC2900 Deck B DJ Semi.tsi to get control over Traktor Decks A & B. Make sure SC2900 Deck A is set to MIDI Channel 1 and SC2900 Deck B is set to MIDI channel 2 before you import these files!

If you want the display text as well, you need to also (small) import Semi Display A.tsi and Semi Display B.tsi.

I’ve kept the text and controller mappings separate so that you can choose to either use both or keep them independent; I found with the other controllers I use that having constant scrolling text can affect the latency on my laptop. Plus as the feedback cannot be made much faster, I find it better to rely on the laptop display instead. So consider this before you choose to install the text display on top of the controller mapping not.

Thanks,

Semi

pachanga Nov 06, 2014 2:50 pm

now everything worked! that exactly what i was looking after better than the hybrid mode! thanks semi:)

Shockey Nov 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Sorry about the long reply but basically been testing the set up out it works perfectly in MIDI mode, but I can’t get anything on hybrid mode bar the basics play cue and turntable no idea why surely it should work on both modes?

DJ Semi Nov 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Shockey wrote: surely it should work on both modes?

It should… But I could never get it to do everything I wanted it to do. I have a feeling that all the transport controls are hardwired to denon functions and the other buttons are free for mapping to traktor… Problem is trying to figure out which ones work under which conditions. That’s why I ended up sticking with straight midi mode in the end… Almost everything is is mappable and LED feedback possible except for the eclipse ring - and that is a limitation of traktor, not the players.

Out of curiosity, why do you have to/want to use hybrid mode with Traktor? To take advantage of the eclipse ring for platter LED feedback?

Ultrac Dec 14, 2014 6:49 am

I’m new to the forum. I Bought 2 pcs SC2900 back in August. I m using an analogue mixer and latest version of Traktor Scratch Pro on my macbook pro (i7) I had a latency issue, after few minutes of good playing, sound became bad and I had to increase the latency very high. So I was using my S2 alone or the SC2900’s with engine. I liked these players but if I cannot guarantee long running without problems with TRAKTOR I will not go out there to play with them. I just installed the new firmware and I’m willing to try again from scracth installing DJ Semi’s midi mapping etc. I meant… from creating the correct aggregate device up to the final installation of the correct Semis’ files. Is there a complete guide somewhere for my purpose. Can someone saw me the way please?

DJ_Boothe Dec 14, 2014 11:48 am

Latency on an I7 would mean something, somewhere inside the mac must be dragging the processing down.

A reducing number of people believe there’s some kind of glowing halo around macs, but… It’s a computer…and like any other computer, allow too many background processes to run while you’re trying to work and…this happens.

Also as your latency requirement changed after a few minutes think of this… Nothing in the 2900 would have changed, only within the Mac so consider reading threads which explain about hot latency versus cold latency

Take a google for optimising macs for audio use, get rid of any bloatware, dedicate your gig computer for just gigs, switch off internet, wifi, bluetooth etc etc

DJ Semi Dec 15, 2014 7:51 am

Ultrac wrote: I m using an analogue mixer and latest version of Traktor Scratch Pro on my macbook pro (i7) I had a latency issue, after few minutes of good playing, sound became bad and I had to increase the latency very high.

Might be worthwhile checking the load meter (top/center of the traktor display) at the time the noise and clipping starts to build. Is this more than 50% and into the red at the time? Usual culprits are too many decks running simultaneously for your computer to cope with, the use of hi quality key lock on the decks, and also the scratch quality (try setting to Eco). Also make sure you run the usb audio direct into the mac to rule out inadequate usb hubs as being part of the problem.

Also, as DJ Boothe suggests, it always helps if your Mac/PC is audio optimised - can you double check you’ve followed the recommended suggestions from NI on this subject?

Mac OSX Tuning Tips

Ultrac Dec 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks all of you. I need time to try everything. I also got an advise from NI to delete Traktor TSI file and lunch back Traktor, so the tsi file will be created back to the default. They said this could happen after the update to 2.7.0 version. I ''l keep you inform when i ll complete all these tests. Thanks again!!! regards from Greece!!

I tested all your suggestions. Nothing worked. I Succeed to find what creates problems to my latency. Was the Semi Display A.tsi and Semi Display B.tsi. When I load these to see the display I have this bad sounds after few minuites. I found out that DJ Semi mentioned that as follows… …

DJ Semi can you help? I like this display.

… I also found that denon reliesed “SC2900 .tsi mapping file with DISPLAY text ***” here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19074 how can i use it for an aggregate device of 2 SC2900? I cannot assign it to only one deck. Do I have to load it twice? Is it working?

Thanks in advance all of you

I’m not sure if the laptop creates these sounds. To answer your questions here is how it is expresed

1. The load meter (top/center of the traktor display) at the time the noise and clipping starts to build. Is quite less than 50%. Not at the red area.
  2. When I restart the SC2900s without restart the TRAKTOR the sound becomes normal. It should be something from the mapping creates this problem. Kindly note that I assign each tSI file to all ports/ deck A or B…

DJ Semi Jan 05, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Ultrac,

As I said, the text output greatly affects MIDI in/out requests and so will put strain on your computer and potentially mess up your audio.

The output is coming from Traktor, and this heavy load is confirmed at its inception as seen at this link on the NI forums.

You mention that you currently use all Out ports for text display which seems like overkill if only two devices (the SC2900’s) are capable of displaying the results. So you could try sending the text file only to the Out of the specific SC2900 that you want to recive the text display. This will stop Traktor ‘spamming’ the midi signals for text to every single controller device connected at the time.

If that doesn’t help, the only solution realistically is to get a more powerful PC or Mac to handle the extra processing required to transmit the extra data without adversely affecting your audio. Either that, or don’t use the text file at all. For me, whilst the display looks pretty, it would only be useful if it was more capable; for example, showing me my detailed track waveform break down, showing me my current playlist so that I could view my tracks before selecting them and also showing me time remain rather than just time elapsed. As it stands now, it can’t do these basic things so I end up looking at the laptop screen for this information 99% of the time anyway - and this makes use of the SC2900 display in conjunction with Traktor redundant for me.

Thanks,

Semi

Ultrac Jan 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks Dj Semi. I saw your proposal also at this video

and you are right. I most probably overload my pc using for in and out “all ports”. I will check it this weekend that I will be back. I believe this will be the solution. You are also right saying that the info we want is all in the traktor screen, so if this don’t work I will not change my laptop. Thanks again. I 'll keep u informed…

I tried it and the noise is still here. I will forget the display temporarily, since the work can be done without it, only by using Traktor’s panel. If anyone has any news, or other tsi I will be gland to try it. Thanks once again…