Denon prime 4 left jog wheel issues

There is Covid19 ya know.

You can tag a mod here

Hey any luck on urs im still waiting on support but nothing im really frustrated even if its covid at least a simple email could be enough.

Hey there.

I’m facing the exact same issue with my brand new Prime 4. Engine OS 1.5.2. Unable to scratch in Vinyl mode on the left platter. Right one works perfectly.

I noticed that the left one also works when I touch the Prime 4 with one hand while scratching with the other one. It also works when I touch the grounding terminal on the back. So it seems to be a grounding issue and therefore hardware related? But why is the right platter not affected?

BTW I’m using my Prime 4 in a Magma flight case.

Did you guys get the issue solved?

Thanks for a feedback!

Same problem for me on the right side :weary::weary::weary:

Hi guys - I have just uploaded the same issue I’m having with my new prime 4. Unboxed yesterday - version 5 firmware and the right hand platter won’t scratch. Left hand side is fine.

Installed the older version 4 firmware and it’s totally fine?

So, have since discovered that the scratch feature only works on the right hand side IF you are touching the unit with your other hand. Clearly a grounding issue with the right hand unit of some sorts.

This is not good - earthing in my home is perfect. New build and I am an electrician - socket tester verifies earth.

I’ve uploaded it to YouTube - can see it here;

This is what I also tried and recognized. With Engine OS 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and 1.6 beta no scratching possible on right jogwheel. Going back to OS 1.4.1 it works perfectly but I recognized other bugs like stuttering while plackback on deck 2/4 instead. :cry:

@Dean: Did you find a solution with Denon DJ Support meanwhile?

I contacted my reseller and they asked me to return the Prime 4 in order to get it fixed by Denon DJ, but I’m not sure if it is a real hardware failure and worth sending it back or a bug which could simply be fixed by an OS update. It’s frustrating… :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes with version 4 I was noticing bugs too like the track skipping too far when trying to nudge with the side of the jog wheel and skipping on its own.

I don’t know if I want it fixed - it’s brand new! But if they give me a brand new one won’t it do the same??

I don’t know, in Germany and I guess in Europe in general the supplier has the right to choose how to handle claimed products. They can repair or replace it. Yeah, you’re right, mine is one month old and I also would expect them to send a new one.

I also doubt if a new one wouldn’t be faulty either. But then I would also expect more Prime 4 owners to claim this specific bug, not only a few ones. If it is OS caused, every single owner should have the same problem, right?

I guess you’re right - but, the issue blows my mind as to why it only does it with the new firmware. If you watch my video it looks to be a completely physical problem in that it only works when it’s getting an earth through your other hand.

That’s exactly what I described in my upper post. Maybe Denon DJ knows about the grounding issue (hardware) and created a workaround with the OS and forgot to implement from 1.5 on! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

BTW, how old is yours? Did the shipping (outer) box have a small green dot (label) on it?

Mine is brand new in that it only arrived yesterday. There was no outer box - it came wrapped in a bag. Bought it from getinthemix. Where was yours from?

I had this same issue with my Prime 2… Things seemed ok on 1.4 but after the update things went bad on my left jog wheel in vinyl mode… the platter would randomly simulate me holding my hand on it by itself… impossible to scratch… and as time went on (turning vinyl mode off on the left) I’d be scratching the right side, if I get to carried away into my scratching routines, I’d gain the same problem on my right deck… I’d then be stuck only cuing in songs with the cue pads… I hate that!!! I’m so disappointed… I contacted support… they asked I send the controller back (saying they will replace it… I had it 1 1/2 months before I had the issue… dealt with it for another month and I had to continue calling in for support and got no help the first three weeks… finally I’ll be able to send it in but they specifically let me know…

Pending availability of parts, our repair facility’s turnaround time is currently 2 to 4 weeks (not including shipping time). Within this turnaround time, status or progress updates are not available. However, if the turnaround time, and time necessary for return shipping to you has passed, and you haven’t yet received your product, please contact us at<

so I’m just sitting here waiting and Djing my gigs on a Numark DJ2Go touch until then…

I bought this controller to replace my DDJ-SX2 that I had for 4+ years and now I’m feeling like I should have spent my money elsewhere… My performance has suffered a bit due to not having all the functionality of a professional controller… I tried to give Denon a chance because on paper the specs and features really impressed me… but paying more than $1,000 to have a controller fail me not 6 months later hurts my feelings and pockets… I can’t show up to a wedding with a mini controller… I have to hide it when I’m working my clubs and bars as it is…

Be aware of this issue before updating to 1.5 or even going to this product if you haven’t purchased it already…

1 Like

My unit is being picked up tomorrow by UPS and refund issued once it’s received. Sorry Denon, I really had high hopes for you but it’s destroyed my confidence. Back to Pioneer me me. Shame, as it’s a cracking package

@dave-b I’m sorry to hear that. DDJ-SX2 is no option for me as I prefer a real standalone 4 channel unit.

@JWiLL Can you confirm that Denon DJ is aware of these issues? Will the official release of Engine OS 1.6 address this bug or is it a hardware failure which needs to be repaired by Denon DJ support? I would highly appreciate a feedback by a Denon official? Thank you!

@coffeebean - I know what you mean. The XDJ-XZ could have been an option but you need additional external units to use it as a 4 channel - very disappointing. If I had the cash I’d go for their new CDJ 3000 as they look very tasty. But, I’m only a ‘bedroom DJ’ so can’t justify it. I have heard that they might be coming out with a new standalone unit later in the year that will be based on the CDJ3000 so might hold out for that

Hi all, i just unpacked my Prime 4 today, and indeed the left jogwheel is not responding. Only when I put my full hand over it, it stops and I can find a cue point like on vinyl. I hope I don’t have to send it back and that it can be fixed with software… look forward to response of Denon staff. @DenonDJ_Support_DE

@Sbroest to summarize possible solutions

1. Remove plastic protection film

2. Check grounding of the unit. Try a different power cord and other grounded power outlet

3. This could potentially work:

• Press and hold the VIEW button to access MENU
  • Click UTILITY
  • Under DEVICE SETTINGS you will see PLATTER TOUCH SENSITIVITY
  • Click CALIBRATE (and do not touch platters untill calibration is complete (about 3 seconds).
  1. Try install firmware again (or even one from the archive)

2. Contact reseller or support

Thanks, changing grounding and removing plastic works, although still less response than right platter. But it works. Can the connection of two turntables (incl grounding) also have an effect on it (related to grounding)?

Thanks for the quick response, Stephan