Denon DJ VL12 MKII Turntable

Anything in the works? Denon?

I’d be happy with the same base unit on the MK1 just change the tonearm to something more premium and probably try to get that pitch a bit tighter and address the slight dead-zones.

Perhaps a small screen underneath the tonearm to the left of the pitch to show BPM or other similar info when connected via DVS.

Also, an official dust-cover would be nice this time.

I guess the next InMusic turntable will likely have a Stanton branding.

Good call, but if it’s just another branded SuperOEM then they really should not bother.

I commend Denon for not going that route, they just need to do a better job with the tonearm this time.

But a Stanton branded turntable using the Denon base and a better tonearm I’d be happy with …

1 Like

People seem to be happy with super OEMs. Of course, there are better and worse implementations. But the technical base seems to deliver good enough results at a competing price.

I’d be happy with a super oem with full DVS integration (performance pads, oled display, etcetera).

1 Like

RP8000mk2 and Phase would be great.

1 Like

Yes, I am happy, I own one in the Reloop RP-8000 MKII. I just don’t think we need any more because the market is saturated with them. Unless someone is going to take the SuperOEM to the next level and start adding some new features.

Yes, all those features would be welcome also perhaps Denon could look into adding DVS to EP one day.

I’m not sure how I feel about Phase. It just seems an expensive alternative to control vinyl. You still need to have a turntable or motorised platter rather … but I suppose it’s a good option to have if you already own a good turntables.

1 Like

It would be cool to have phase but into a turntable. Single deck receiver built in and the transmitter could sit in a slot that is indented into the turntable body.

Their own motorised platter with phase built in.

At least it would be a universal DVS signal then. Unlike Rane using serato timecode.

1 Like

Or something like a Rane Twelve with a tonearm!

Rane 12 actually is like a turntable with a phase build in but it doesn’t have the wireless transmitter. Twelve’s have a dual optical sensor for the spindle and the platter separately. Cpu just measures the difference between the rotation of platter and spindle to track the direction and speed. Rest is or dvs signal or direct data for the dj software that understands it. Making a turntable out of that, like it was mentioned before, - just add a decent tonearm. And we have Rane TT12.

1 Like

A Rane Twelve with a tonearm would be nice, providing it’s a good quality tonearm.

1 Like

Oh, also… Make sure the lines on the tempo fader actually correspond to the pitch adjustment percentage. Can’t count how many modern turntables where it doesn’t.

2 Likes

Upgrade the tone arm, get rid of the plastic feel.

Fix the pitch dead zones and make it so the reset light lights up when the pitch is at zero (maybe a different color LED from when reset is enabled).

Update the styling to match the new prime gear.

I guess a bit better isolation would be nice too.

That’s all I’d want!

2 Likes

I agree a Denon DJ VL12mk2 or VL13 is in order. The motor, DSP controller behavior, LED ring, and isolation feet all had some merits compared to Hanpin Super OEMs.

Tonearm needs improvement, with at least better calibrated bearings and a more refined construction. Sorbothane foam in the tonearm would help, too. Some kind of base damping like KAB does would be useful for the arm, though that’s asking a lot.

The removable top panel of the body needs an underside layer of rubber, or better yet, epoxy resin to make it less resonant. It’s so prone to vibrations that the isolated motor and the isolation feet aren’t enough to make up for that resonant body.

The deadzones on the ends of the pitch fader need to be completely eliminated so you always get a response on the pitch fader unless you’re in the center deadzone.

The center deadzone needs to be shrunk, and the reset/zero LED should come on automatically when you’re inside the new, smaller center deadzone.

Assuming the PS is a switched supply, the power cables need to be ensured to be screened/shielded cables with that screen well-terminated to the ground prong.

I wouldn’t be against a hybrid TT + digital DJ media player unit, as I’ve said before, but I think new Denon DJ needs to walk before they run and prove a killer TT design first without major flaws.

Considering how bad the SL-1200mk7 has turned out to be, at such a high price, and yet has still sold, there certainly is a market opportunity for a high caliber DJ deck.