Delay playing and loading track

Heya,

Having an issue with a pair of brand new SC5000s. Very occasionally, a track will be unresponsive after loading and won’t start playing for anywhere up to about 5 seconds. Once it does start playing, it’ll sometimes stop audio output briefly for about 1-2 seconds, then resume output (the waveform is moving the whole time).

The track will load, but the cue and play buttons won’t respond. I can hit play and wait and eventually it’ll start the track - almost as if it’s buffering the file.

Source drive is a Kingston USB3 32GB. Issue occurs on both exFAT and FAT32, playing off a local USB connection or over the LAN. All MP3 files, analysed and there’s no consistency, as in it will happen with any file. Both players have up to date firmware.

Pretty frustrating and just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this issue.

Cheers!

Hi @cncn and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry you are having this issue, would it be ok to ask you a few questions:

1 - Does it happen on both players randomly? 2 - How long are the mp3 files?

Thank you, Jay

I had something similar when trying to use USB3 memory stick in the front of the 5000 - that’s only usb2

When I put the stick in the back USB port , which is proper usb 3 , the delays went away instantly

I had a similar problem but it only happened when I used it with a PC, apparently it was a windows update because it did not happen before, the solution was to use it in the usb 3 ports of the PC, as soon as it changed everything worked perfectly instead if I returned it to put in the usb2 (in which before it worked well) the problem that you describe regards

So I had experienced this (if not similar behavior) also. I had the following configuration and setup:

• Players all networked to the X1800 mixer.
  • 2 USB 3.0 256GB drives. Each one inserted into the back of the SC5000m players.
  • Tried formatting both in exFat and FAT32.
  • Used Engine Prime software for anlayzing and exporting crates/playlists.

All of which, I have seen the behavior.

But as of recently, I tried the below:

• Increased the buffer settings in Engine Prime software to highest number (I couldn’t tell you exactly where this setting is right now because I’m not in front of the application).
  • Reformatted only 1 USB drive to FAT32 (highly recommended anyways), and exported all crates/playlists to it.
  • Inserted the USB in the back of only one SC5000m player.

The results were alot better! Although there are still some tracks that somehow still needed to be analyzed by the players at load time. And sometimes cue points don’t immediately trigger when you want them to. But, these issues didn’t happen as frequently as they did before. So I am somewhat a little happier about this. However, these are still issues that does need to get addressed.

I now just have the second USB drive as a backup. Hopefully this helps?

Thanks for all the advice guys!

@Jay_DenonDJ, the issue occurs on both players randomly and the length of the MP3 files vary, but they are all reasonable full length tracks (between 3 and 6 minutes on average). There’s been no consistency to the issue so I can’t pin point it to an exact file or length. It’ll also happen regardless of how long the players have been running.

@Cognac, thanks for the tip about the buffer settings, I’ll see if I can track that down.

Regarding back vs front ports, I’ve seen the issue on both inputs on both players :frowning: Though I wouldn’t think USB2 throughput would be maxed out by a 320kbps MP3 file. I have some USB2 drives laying around, I’ll try them just in case it’s something strange with these particular drives.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Jay_DenonDJ, it occurs randomly on both players and the mp3 files are standard length, anywhere between 3 to 6 minutes, nothing extremely long or short - all 320kbps too.

@cognacwest, thanks for the tip about the the buffer size, I’ll see if I can find it in Engine Prime. Unfortunately I’ve had these issues on both exFAT and FAT32, both in the front and the rear (:/). I have a few USB2 drives laying around so I’ll see if they resolve the problem. I can’t imagine the files I’m playing would max out the USB3 bus speed.

Data Bandwidth speed hasn’t been the problem with usb 3 sticks put in usb 2 holes or the vice versus… its to do with bad backward compatibility. Some usb3 Sticks offer shockingly badly programmed usb2 downward compatibility modes which just trickle the data through far slower and in different sized chunks than usb2

@cncn, yep. It surely sounds like the same thing I’ve experienced. And the only thing I’ve changed was the buffer settings in Engine Prime. And that was a subtle change. Although, I do not know if that is the root cause.

Keep us posted on your testing.

Thought I’d post some positive feedback on my original issues. I purchased 2x USB3.1 drives (SanDisk Extreme Pro) and have found the following:

• Exporting from Engine Prime to these drives is waaaaaayyyyyy faster!
  • I haven’t yet experienced any lag in loading or playing tracks
  • Scrubbing through the browse list is a lot more responsive and doesn’t hang while listing tracks.

It seems the bottleneck is in the USB3.0 drives - I don’t know whether this is the drive or Denon OS, but I’m sticking on the 3.1 drives anyhow.

1 Like

I doubt it’s the OS - the underlying OS is Linux so it’ll use standard Linux kernel drivers.