Deck 2 freezing in standalone mode

The USB channel in the case of the mcx8000 is not powering the unit so we can’t consider the current issues of powered USB hard drives. USB sound cards have been able to drive 24 channels of audio at 4 ms latency on older laptop hardware. 2 is not even making it sweat. The midi screens also don’t use much data and are not streaming the video, but rather just streaming midi values per the midi spec which makes it very compact data.

My screens have frozen with plenty of CPU left on the gauge. I have had CPU overheating conditions on other laptops and it practically shuts down the computer. This isn’t the case and everything else on the laptop performs flawlessly except I had a frozen screen. I have also not heard one person claim that this solved their issue.

Quite honestly though, I’m willing to drop all this if it works by turning my brightness down. As I’ve said before, this is a GREAT controller that has had one very frustrating issue for me and if I can get past that then I’ll be nothing but happy. I do wish Denon would have given it more attention though.

1 Like

Exactly. And it might be simply that … as close to a “wave a magic wand” solution as anyone could ever hope to have.

With all the other, very real and very well known issues with lappys, their chipsets, heat behaviours and idiosyncratic traits, those have been playing a viable part in hindering the integrity of music performance on manycontrollers, way before the MCX8000, so I wouldn’t be quick, or even able to rule out a lappy from any performance issues. Even i7s can drag their heals.

But, we’ll happily look at everyone’s questions, on their own specific laptops and other perhpierals etc, on a case by case basic on the forum.

I currently am having the same issue and have had this unit for a bit over a year now and from the first week had an issue with not only the screens freezing and locking up but with all of the LEDs touch pads and meters freezing as well. The only lights that appear to be functioning properly are the lights on the master level. the unit still functions and all of the knobs and buttons as well as the touch pads work but everything is completely frozen. I’ve been monitoring this forum for a few months praying for a solutioin and just now as i write this i have made the adjustment to the brightness level and the screens appear to be very dark for my work environments. I hope Denon will investigate this matter and come up with a proper solution rather than just lowering the brightness by 10%. to good eyes that’s probably fine but for an older guy like me it’s a bit too dark to read in lighter conditions. I will try reversing the effects of the LEDs on the jog wheels and see if maybe this can take a little stress off the circuit and prevent the freezing as well. It just seems to be getting worse now and I’ve even purchased a new PC and the firmware was updated months ago. I will keep you posted on the reversing of the jog indicator setting vs the 90% brightness solution. Thanks for your time.

2 Likes