Database speed on Prime 4

It happens to me too. It happens to every mobile DJ too, I am sure.

The importance is on managing the audience expectations. If the audience get why they want at the snap of their fingers, they’ll expect it every where, every time.

There’s nothing wrong with accepting the request, carry on with the rest of the playing song and the song which you already had cued up for playing next after, and finding their request as part of your natural workflow, not theirs.

1 Like

Remember always that it is YOU the DJ, not them in the crowd. If they give you requests, tell them it will get played later on. The idea isn’t to get their request playing by the time they turn and walk from you to the dance floor.

Pamper the crowd too much and they will start thinking every DJ is lousy if their request isn’t played instantly. Some of them are already like that with their games of “play it now mister, we’re leaving in 10 minutes “

1 Like

Reading this, I really don’t get it.

A 10 seconds wait for a track request is too short nowadays… remembering the times to go through the vinyl and cd cases. :innocent:

2 Likes

I know and the car will get faster with other fuel. I’m just reminiscing.

It’s the “instant gratification”, 3 sec. span of attention generation. Being 57 years old, I don’t get it either, but the world will keep spinning, with or without me.

2 Likes

DJs need more self confidence in their own choices of music and need to assert themselves politely when dealing with requests that are spat at them over the DJ booth boundaries, not just crumble, not just abandon their own Dj choices of what they were going to play next. But keep the flexibility of taking requests, if it’s that sort of gathering, but offer to fit the newly received request in, sometime later not promise to play the new request in 5 or 10 seconds

i can not believe it !!! We are talking about a workaround that works for every “computer based” softeware eg record box (with which I have been working for years) and Traktor & Serato works fine and now the “Shitstorm” does not work so well with Dernon in its “stand alone system” important is ???

for all we love, we live in 2019 … that should and “must” that simply work … I’ve paid the device expensive and I just expect things like that just run …

Otherwise, I can also put back my 1210 MKII and do it like “earlier”

That’s the way = don’t crumble to everyone. Stand up for your ideas , including the “yo DJ , play it immediately” requesters

FWIW. My current “collection” on my external SSD is about a tenth (9200) of yours. Search is instant with every character I type in; not 10 seconds, so I cannot confirm or deny the problem. Both on the Prime4 and on my SC5000’s.

Yes, 10 seconds is long, perhaps too long, but if that hinders your professional DJ life and the suggested 3 seconds do not… I just find it hard to believe there would be no time left, if that’s really the argument.

Could you try 1.4 public beta2 and report back on how that goes?

1 Like

Think its because of the amount of tracks. I have around 60K tracks and its somewhere between 3-5 seconds to search now with the ssd. Before it could take like 15-20 sec.

It would be interesting to see if the search speed gets better if a different SSD is used.

The poster mentioned he has a sandig . Is that a sandisk but mistyped, or is sandig some low performance entry level ssd?

FYI

I use a Samsung T5 500GB SSD, on the front USB2 port even, on my SC.

And an internal Samsung 860EVO 1TB in the Prime4.

Sounds good. How are your search times ?

See some posts above :wink: Instant, but at 1/10 collection size, search could as well be the 1 second.

sorry mistake: Sandisk

With 40k tracks mine used to be virtually instant, a recent firmware has defo slowed it down to 3-4 secs now.

@olfi67

It is an issue that I see more often (especially on social media). For me personally, it is certainly an issue and I fully understand what you encounter

First of all, you can follow the guide Denon wrote in the Knowledge base: https://www.denondj.com/kb/denon-dj-tips-prime-4-search-function

Then, if it doesn’t help you can like the original post of this request to increase the chance that it will appear on the development roadmap : Substantial improvements to Library Search performance (the Updating thing) / Faster search larger libraries

It is a problem that some users will never worry about, and others will be very annoyed. For me personally, the search speed of larger collections is the biggest annoyance of the Prime 4. Wrote on the mentioned treat above before:

I know there are ways to increase the search speed and I have a good hope somewhere that someday something will be done with this matter, but I honestly don’t think it will be soon. Of course I can be wrong, I cannot look into the schedule of development :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, I have same Problem, Database Speed is very slow, Collection is about 100k, internal SSD is a Crucial MX500 with 2TB :frowning:

Denon recommendation is 50,000.

Before you search, are you disabling all non-essential fields as per Denon instructions?

Hey… i only use artist and title… it‘s a bit complicated to split my collection, because of my crates & playlists in itunes match und serato…