Control disc tightness with QR

So the washer goes between control disc and slipmat ?

Sheets of different card thicknesses can be easily cut to accommodate your quest for that right feel. You can even try a thicker felt slipmat. Lots to choose from made for the portable scratch turntable from numark and vestax. . 7" mats will work just fine size wise.

I currently don’t have either the old or new adapter in use as I’ve changed the way my 6kms look with rane one platters. Now I’m using a rubber tap washer that fits snug over the spindle and claps down a 7" vinyl via friction. If I want it loose I lift it a little or push it fully down for a bity torque feel. Note too high it won’t have enough contact on the vinyl and does nothing to the audio playing. Pack of 4 tap washers cost me under £2

2 Likes

I called Denon and they are out of stock of the 5000m vinyl assy which includes the Allen key adapter. Can’t find it anywhere else in stock.

Did you know you call up and ask about the ns7iii control disc?

When I had the ns7ii I remember that has the very same alankey locking but it’s the oldskool 45 adaptor look instead. Even discussed on this forum that the mat look platters fit the 5000m straight off the ns7.

They all use same spindle same motor etc.

Look at pictures of these units with out the platter installed on Google images etc

Sc5000m Ns7 Ns7ii Ns7iii

Sc6000m Rane 12 Rane one

Check the layout of screw placement holding the motor and motor base and spindle are all the same.

1 Like

It’s on back order with no ETA at instrumental parts as well.

I emailed them

1 Like

They are not the same. The SC5000M / 6000M have a different motor than the NS7 V7 They do not fit the spindle and are not interchangeable. The spindle is smaller in thickness on the NS7/V7’s

The Rane Twelve and SC models I do believe have the same thickness spindle and so they should work but I can’t confirm or deny that either.

Have you checked this post out?

Chrisportif has used the ns7 platter on his 5000m with 12inchskin custom disc and spindle which are currently available.

I used to trade in DJ turntables years back and believe it or not most used same parts. I don’t see any difference when studying pictures for motor placements used in ns7, ii, iii, sc5, sc6, R one & 12.

The blueprints have the same, close or similar layout. However I can’t confirm nor deny too and if the spindle thickness is smaller on past units then that could be an issue to fit to current models.

The platter may fit but I recently got my hands on the spindle adapter from an NS7 and the spindle adapter does not fit the SC6000M. The hole in the center of the adapter is about 1/8 smaller than the adapter for the 5000/6000M and also the holes to mount on the control disc are slightly different also.

That’s a shame they didn’t fit. Have you checked out the 12inchskinz site as they make custom centre adaptor.

Or have you tried any another tips or hacks to make your quick release feel better?

Ive put these plastic washers under the control disc and that seems to help… But I really want the Adapter that you screw down with the Allen key. 12inchSkinz makes the center adapter for the SC5000M. I would have to ask if they could make me a 6000M control disc that works with that specific adapter as I don’t see that option on the site.

Another thing that’s weird is I find that if its humid in the ambient temperature the control disc is tighter and is harder to move independently of the platter. Even with the plastic washer im using. Once the humidity is lowered or removed they get loose.

So on top of everything just a very annoying situation regarding my experience with the 6000M/s My 5000M/s I never had this issue and in many ways because of this behavior they were far superior.

I just want to walk ups to them and use them and they work the way they are supposed to instantly I don’t want to sit and pull up and fiddle around with the control discs every single time I want to play

See I’m the opposite to you. I rather the feel of the torque pulling the record out of my grip so it’s instant start on the wiki wiki cue drop.

I’m not a scratch DJ and I don’t need it slippy. So scratch djs will hate using mine as they feel nice and bitey ready to fly.

This may help or not but you tried replacing the slipmat with a sheet of paper? My old mates who are scratch djs back in the day used that method.

I’m going to try a piece of wax paper and see if that helps under the slip mat. That’s next

Have you tried butter rugs? Not sure if you can get 7” versions, but might be able to cut some down to size.

1 Like

I tried wax paper awhile back I think the 5000m 7in disc is too small to for it to be useful. Might work better for the 8 inch.

I took me a little bit out time to find the spot because I wanna be able to do high quality spinbacks.

I also think maybe the qr is best suited for 12 platters.

Maybe someone can drill and tap a hole into the qr and put a set screw :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Cant be done. The Quick Release is Aluminum and doesn’t have enough thickness around the center where the set-screw needs to be… Once tapped to the proper threads, the set screw would just strip right away, as soon as any force is applied while tightening it against the spindle.

Ive tried…

Denon PLEASE bring back some type of locking adapter with a setscrew again.

Why exactly is this a problem? I really don’t understand it at all. what are you trying too achieve by releasing the vinyl?!

Wax paper under the slip mats have solved the problem of the disc getting tight. The player now feels like a proper turntable.

Cheers

3 Likes

Link to what you used? or are you just using the regular owen plate type of paper?. Cause I have the same issue :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you for sharing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just regular wax paper that you use for baking. I think Reynolds brand I have.

I have both 5000m and 6000m and the spindles on mine are same thickness, I managed to get 8" clear vinyls for my the 6000m`s and glow in the dark slipmatts.(photo attached) I have to agree that the 5000m alloy assembly with grub screw is far better then the quick release on rane and 6000m.

1 Like