[CONFIRMED] Metatag BPM Values Greater Than 500 Not Currently Supported

Since 1.32 BPM Analysis on player will now reference ID3/Metatag data when running the analysis for improved accuracy. Some players / audio taggers store the BPM in the ID3 with format 13110 (for BPM 131.10). Prime 4 analyzes these files with high BPM ID3/Metatag with a BPM of 500. It is then impossible to get the BPM right on the unit.

Possible solutions:

1. Prime assumes that a BPM above 500 must be truncated to the first 3 numbers (such as 13190 becomes 131 as the starting point for analyzing)

2. Prime ignores ID3 BPM values above the logical values of a BPM range (such as above 200), or above its own limit (seems like this is 500) and calculates the BPM entirely on its own without ID3 info

3. Prime can logically declare the BPM in a tag from, for example, 1315 to 131.50 and a BPM from 13155 to 131.55)

• Software or Firmware Version: (1.2, 1.3.1, etc…) Prime 4 V1.32

• Steps to Reproduce: Load an unanalyzed file with high BPM ID3/Metatag and let Prime 4 analyze.

• Expected Result: (ex: It does X…) Correct BPM calculation

• Actual Result: (ex: It does Y…) BPM calculation of 500, only to double/half , not to be corrected

• Reproducibility: (ex: Happens 1 out of 10 times.) Every file with BPM info above 500 (

• Other Relevant Info: Cue / Play buttons also flashes like strobes, since their blikspeed follows the BPM, giving the looks of a defected LED :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this, I’ve passed onto the team now to investigate.

What application did you use to write the BPM to Metatag?

@JWiLL At the moment I am not sure yet. We are still trying to figure this out by excluding software usage in our team. For the moment I think it occurs mostly to our DJ’s with collections that have been around for a while, so it will probably be software that is no longer active in use, but has been used before. If I find out more about this, I will of course provide feedback.

Anyway, I think it is desirable that the Prime algorithms that takes into account a written ID3 BPM can exclude a BPM over 500 is of no good use to use as a starting point in some sort of way.

Understood. We have reproduced in our environment and will look to see if we can improve in the future. In the meantime we suggest using modern applications that write the BPM in xxx.xx format as this is the format that Engine Prime currently supports. Thanks for the report!

[Update] We have found a few ways to improve this. Improvements will come in a future update.

1 Like