Coming soon: World’s first music streaming capability in standalone DJ hardware

Many thank yous Jay. I’m hoping I can check my own eligibility for each of those providers for me as a human and that should hopefully tell me whether my Primes would be able to log on and use each of the streaming services.

I hope the Primes would load the whole streaming track into RAM, like it does with local media tracks, I hate streaming services where the track stops or stutters cause it hasn’t finished and has run out of buffet.

Great service ! Especially the hard wire option, which I’ll prob use more than the WiFi at suitable venues

2 Likes

I really dig this. Not something I use (all my open format sets are on DVS), but it really shows the possibility of future capabilities being added to the hardware which were previously only available in software DJ platforms.

4 Likes

Too bad that this is the first criticism. I am going to defend the entire Prime team here, because I am really disappointed that sometimes there is only complaining, even though a step forward has been announced. The WI-FI module was already installed before anyone could even ask for features. The plans for a next-gen console generation were mapped out before we as a community could turn these plans upside down. The team listens, they are aware of all wishes and a number of them are high on the list. Some are coming, some are not. But some things that do come are simply not arranged in a day. I have never seen a post from anyone with the question and the solution in 1: "I want feature xxx and here is the completely programmed code for feature xxx, extensively tested and error-free, you just have to zip it and release "

Plans can be (partially) changed, but this announcement confirms in fact that these units were ready for the future and are on a bigger roadmap. And whether or not this is a feature that you have been waiting for, it is a big, logical and very good development for the DJ industry. The generation that is coming now has never bought a record, cassette, CD, DAT, MiniDisk, DVD or paid download. A new generation of DJs is emerging (now) that is used to everything on demand, with a simple subscription. A generation that expects the same options and access on every device on every platform. And I applaud for Denon that they are already responding to this and am glad that they do not keep thinking in just the current ways. Change has happened so many times before, from vinyl to CD to mass storage. And now we are going (step by step) to the cloud.

It opens doors for a few more steps later, where you have access to your own music in your own Google Drive / Dropbox / OneDrive, for example, and you are happy to log in if your USBs are unexpectedly forgotten, stolen, defective or infected. Your database runs in the cloud, so your own local or online and streamed songs also all have all saved hot cues, loops and beat grids (and yes, also flexibly before that time). Changes on database are realtime… And that on every device, 100% in sync and backed up. More doors will open in the future with an online device and for the development of the device / software itself, that too can be improved more frequent with the recently assigned development team and online access.

The development is going step by step, the ideal will never be achieved for everyone, but with teams such as these now working hard for Prime, they are getting a bit closer. One time with a feature for you, the next time with a feature for another.

Unfortunately, development takes more time than coming up with ideas. I too often have difficulty with that (with all kinds of software), but we will have to learn to live with that. In the meantime enjoy the technology that has been brought to us. And preferably with good music, because in the end it’s not all about features, but music… And making people happy with those tunes (little matter how they come in or out of your unit or on your screen :wink: )

3 Likes

Yes, it does. The track is fully loaded before playback. Once track is loaded you can safely disconnect your internet connection and continue playback without dropouts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing news! I forgot about the rumoured WIFI/Bluetooth hardware hiding inside the SC5000/M. Impressive foresight and good to see Denon playing the long game with hardware support rather than releasing a modestly revised player and splitting the platform/focus further. They deserve props for a really competitive and existing customer-friendly move.

I hope they continue to focus R&D primarily on making these current units all they can be before revising the hardware. They have so much untapped potential. An ecosystem that continues to enrich itself as it develops will be the key to Denon’s success…

Proper processors are really opening the door to innovation. Frankly, it makes Pioneer’s current UI look increasingly like a pocket calculator. These ambitious features are great but I do hope Denon also focus on improving the basics/low hanging fruit such as BPM detection. (Diamond-encrusted battle armour may be great but it still chafes if you forget your underwear!)

Adding my wishes to the insurmountable mountain:

-(Overdue) Make the BPM detection algorithm rival the best on the market. It’s really letting the side down.

-(Likely) True SoundSwitch Standalone player support (no laptop)

-(Unlikely) Apple Music support

-(Hopeful) Option to make quantised hot cues act more like Traktor. Make slightly late presses jump to nearest beat rather than next.

-(Hopeful) High-end Two Channel Prime mixer similar to the Rane 72 with a battle/instant grat focus. This would bring the kind of instant FX expression you’d get on Pioneer controller performance pads but the SC5000 aren’t yet capable of.

-(Less Likely) Like the Prime 4, a new mixer could have a SATA drive bay and maybe even an integrated SoundSwitch interface. Elegant and Minimal setup.

-(Pie-in-the-sky) Rugged add-on unit to handle video processing/HDMI duties or a way to pair such duties with an iOS device. Laptop-free video of any sort is probably a next-gen hardware feature though.

3 Likes

THank you @addie and @MCharade for you posts, a great read and really nice to be appreciated for what we do.

@MCharade I’d like to comment on a couple of your comments in the list that I can responses for:

Agreed and I can assure you this is being worked on, this is no simple job and our goal is for this to be improved in the best way possible. Watch this space.

This is a tricky one and really a user preference, if you look at the way we do this it’s the most common way for cue/loop jumps to work. Traktor is fairly unique in that it allows for slightly late jumps. When I moved from Traktor to Denon Dj it took me a little while to adjust my muscle memory but now it’s there :slight_smile:

Regards Jay

3 Likes

In addition to this Beatport will have ‘locker technology’ which allows for tracks to be made available ‘offline’ in advance of your gig.

Tracks that are streamed will also be cached.

2 Likes

Its not that I dont appreciate the things you guys do - I absolutely do.

But people are asking for answers in the post about shipping, and is just getting ignored.

People openly write that they have cancelled their P4 orders and buying Pioneer instead, because of the latest messages they are getting from their dealers. (see screenshots in that post)

You (Denon rep) are busy answering everything else, and promoting new stuff - that doesnt help the guys that waits for the P4 and have been told that it should have been shipped.

So just to be clear… Love the features you are adding, still love my machines…

Thank you for explaining @Engell and glad you do appreciate what we do.

As for responding to shipping, we’ve made regular comments on this but it’s just not feasible to reply to everyone especially when there is no new information.

However, that did change today as the first retailer in the US received their first batch of Prime 4s! Please see my latest post here: PRIME 4, now shipping

Regards J

2 Likes

Hi @Jay_DenonDJ, I am very happy with the recent firmware updates and news of forthcoming innovations, but please understand that a lot of users are demanding this “quantize to the nearest beat” feature! I assume that after a while you get used to the current workflow, BUT it would be GREAT if we had an option to choose between “next” or “nearest”, so I would appreciate if you can comment this issue with the corresponding development team.

Best, ElTitoFranki

2 Likes

Hey @ElTitoFranki, I will pass your suggestion on to the dev team but please note this is not an ‘issue’, it’s user preference :slight_smile:

Regards J

3 Likes

Yes, completely agree :slight_smile:, maybe “issue” was not the correct word here, I was referring to a “feature request” more than “an issue to be resolved”, sorry for my bad english

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

Yes please! It may only be a preference but to me it’s a quality of life setting in the same ballpark of importance as all the other quantise and sync preferences currently available on the unit. It’s currently the main source of fumbles, as I attempt to get used to it. (It was also the most jarring thing when first demoing the unit)

I’m no software developer but one would hope it would be on the easier end of the scale to implement. Easing the transition between platforms isn’t just about library management! I’m hoping you guys can scoop up a lot of other ex-traktor users whilst their current offering is still pretty stale!

2 Likes

How long is this Summer? THX:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It will be a very looooooooong summer … this year xdd :slight_smile:

1 Like

Summer is officially ending September 20th in the northern hemisphere - every year :wink:

2 Likes

SUmmer hasnt started in Australia and NZ yet.

any news on this one, nights are getting shorter here in the uk…

Hi all, as I hope you all can appreciate the team are thoroughly testing this new feature (along with other features) to ensure it’s not only the best experience possible, but also reliable!

This is another big update for us and we need to get it right. I appreciate you guys are keen to get an update but as most of you’ll know we can’t give a set date to a project that has such a complex testing road map.

Thank you for your patience and we’ll post an update as soon as we’re ready.

Regards J

8 Likes