Bunch of newbie questions

Hi guys, been having my Prime 2 for few months now but I still have couple of newbie questions:

1. Can I use other than my bootdrive as my base drive for my collection? I have quite small HD in my laptop and I would like to use a second hard drive or a USB stick for my music collection. Is this possible with Engine DJ?

2. I recently updated my Prime 2 from 1.6.1 to 2.0.1 and now the crossfader is not working anymore as it used to, I have both side set at THRU. Now when crossfader is on to left side music gets a tad louder, when right music gets completely silent. Could this be a bug caused by the update or some kind of physical fault?

3. If I install a hard drive to my Prime 2, will this be the place where my collection is saved (migrated / restored from my computer) or will it be similar to an external drive like a USB stick where you save / transfer music to, but you still have to edit your playlists first to your collection inside your computer and then update collection back to the drive in Prime?

4. What is the difference between Engine DJ collection on your computer and a collection on an external device like a USB stick, aren’t these similar but just having maybe a different content, why it’s not possible to delete a track from a playlist on an external drive and you have to do it inside the collection playlist on your computer instead, and then re-copy the same playlist back to an external drive?

5. What’s your recommended USB stick to use eith Prime 2, when I want to record my sets on it? With my current Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 I keep failing, as write speeds aren’t fast enough.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes you can. I plan to shoot a quick tip this weekend on how to do that.

• But its easy enough to explain.

• Make a folder for all your DJ Music on the hard drive.

• Copy all your internal computer (C drive) music to it.

• Use Lexicon to Relocate your music (so you dont lose your hotcues etc)

So this external becomes your collection drive and Engine DJ will use it just like uses your C drive.

Could be anything, you can try flashing the update again or blowing some compressed air into the crossfader. If that fails you may need to send it for repairs

The straight forward way is to treat the installed drive (p2) like a USB/SD card. Other people use it differently but it can get really confusing. So my advise is to use it like a USB. Export from the main collection drive to it.

They are not dissimilar.

The expected use case

• Collection drive (can be internal computer drive or an external storage connected to the computer) - This all your music files

• Export drive (USB/SD/Installed drive in P2/4/6000) - music files you want to dj with (it can be your entire music from the collection drive or just a portion of it)

If you use an external drive as your main collection drive, you can also plug the drive into the p2 eg say you didnt have time to export before a gig or you have a wedding and you need your entire collection handy just incase the gig goes sideways

I bought a Kingston USB stick on Amazon as well, lets just say its only good for copying word and excel files

Samsung and SanDisk will be my go to brands when it comes to storage

Mud? Clear?

1 Like

Thanks for this, Lexicon looks like a really handy tool and glad it’s currently in beta making in free to try! I’ve check Rekordcloud couple of times (many great functionalities!) but for a Sunday dj like myself way too pricey.

Is this an optional part or can the music be relocated only using this tool? Looking forward to your videon on this!

Thanks for a quick reply and all the answers. All clear(er) now! :slight_smile:

Its entirely optional.

You dont need to use it if your plan is to start afresh

This use case

1. Copy your music through files/finder (windows/mac) to the external collection drive (DJ MUSIC Folder)
  2. Delete or Archive the folder called “Engine Library”. Its usually in your default “Music” folder in your C drive
  3. Start up Engine DJ, it should start up without any music in it
  4. Drag and Drop the DJ MUSIC folder (that contains your music on the new collection external drive) to your Engine DJ “collection”

I dont have any music on the computer internal drive (its 500gb)

My external drive “THUNDER” is my collection drive (4TB SSD)

All my dj music is in the folder called “MUFASA DJ” > “MUSIC AUDIO” (900gb)

Thanks for the details!

I recently noticed that I have dublicate files of tracks in my drive, is there any way to fix this or even to prevent happening in the future. I think if I have a same track in several playlists, there’s a copied file of each.

Use the duplicate finder in Lexicon

or

DupeGuru

Either of those or a combination of both will help to catch most of your duplicates and you can decide what you want to do with the duplicate files found

to prevent this from happening you may need to re-think how you manage your files itself

I find that if i’m using a Multi-folder system eg MUSIC > JULY > HIPHOP etc i always end up with duplicates

I have ditched this method and just have one gigantic folder (with a few broad genre Sub-Folders)

All my music files are in those

1 Like

Thanks again for the answers mufasa, you’ve been very helpful! :raised_hands: :slight_smile:

Hopefully Denon will improve their software on this in the future and users don’t have look for alternative solutions for these kind of things that should be already thought and solved directly by the developers.

1 Like

Will give you a basic concept of how i manage my files

Its a work in progress

In reality i still have a few sub-folders that i cant bring myself to remove.

another method may be to use itunes

uncheck the organise my music files option, it will prevent itunes from making copies