I’ve had this happen occasionally since the new firmware so worth reporting. It does not happen often, and it doesn’t seem to be critical, but worth looking into.
I’m getting this maybe once every second week or so (I play three to four shows a week with the Primes, so not often). After loading a track I’ll hit play, and after about 5 seconds there will be an audio drop (full cutout) for about 5 seconds. I stop the track, restart it and it won’t happen again, it is just on the first playback after loading. There isn’t a consistent track it happens with, seems to be quite random. What I did notice, is that the temporary cue point in the track will be set somewhere towards the last quarter of the track instead of at the start where I would have set it. Hot cues are all still where I set them to be, just the temporary cue that seems to have moved.
If I had to guess, it’s an anomaly with how the database is being read when the track is loading. I also strongly suspect it is only happening on the networked player, not the player with the USB (although I can’t really 100% confirm that - I just seem to recall it only happening on my right side deck - but I’ll continue to keep an eye on it).
Let me know if there is any other useful information I can provide. Thanks team!