Broadcast Mode

As I am sure many of you have, I received an email recently from Denon DJ notifying me that the X1800 & the X1850 were getting a firmware update that would include a broadcast mode in the utility menu.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to add this function to the Prime 4? Being able to ditch the audio interface between the controller and laptop would be an fantastic feature and I am fairly certain that the Prime 4 has the hardware to support this.

Thanks

2 Likes

If they can they will for all primes i hope.

I think that on the P4 it is a bit more complicated. When in standalone mode the P4 usb acts like a host - same as computer. This is an issue, as the computer needs to be a host in order to use the P4’s internal sound card. But connecting a usb host to a usb host will result in no connection at all. Like two drivers wanted to drive the same car at the same time…

So this requires a bit more complex programming from Denon side. The Prime 4 needs to use its soundcard for djing and share it at the same time for streaming…

Are you sure of this? I would agree regarding the USB type A ports (i.e. the ones where we connect the USB sticks), but regarding the USB type B port (i.e. the one in which to connect the blue cable to the PC) I would not be sure to say that is a host. Type B connector is typically used for “device” mode not for host mode.

Yes, that would be a nice feature. It occurred to me too, yesterday, when I received the email, but I thought that surely someone had already entered the request in the appropriate section here on the forum. Have you already tried to find if something already exists?

Hi DjAj, just joined the forum yesterday and after I posted this I saw the ‘Feature Request’ section.

Had a hunt on there and could only see a thread on the products that this feature has been rolled out for.

Somebody had already asked about the feature being made available on the Prime 4 and I have added a couple of comments around this as well.

Thanks

That’s why it is not active in the standalone mode.

Yes, but maybe it could be activated by Denon DJ if it was used for some purpose (like broadcasting).

I found this request: LINK

I think that’s what you’re asking.

@NoiseRiser is correct in a way. It is to do with the number of internal audio channels of the units. The X1800 & X1850 I believe have a different audio DSP within them that has 10 channels Out so they can route a broadcast feed by moving 2 of the output channels to the USB. Not sure the P4 has the same amount on the Audio DSP. The Prime Go works off a sound card and not a routable DSP.

The architecture of the mixer is different here in a way, that X1800 has the soundcard separated from the DSP it self and the in/out board just does it’s own thing. Prime 2/go are running off the soundcard directly. Prime 4 is somewhere in between. But it’s DSP is tightly bond to the audio outs, no flexibility in selecting what is routed where…

It could be possible maybe.

I have the Roland mc101 stand-alone groove box and my iPad can see the USB audio just by plugging it in so it’s kinda possible.

Hopefully Denon can figure out a way. Especially for the PGo.

Surprising if the Prime 4 is hardware limited to not being able to broadcast. This would seem to be an unnecessary limitation. If this is the case, I can only imagine that it is cost driven.

I suppose time will tell.