Brand new VL12 Prime issues

I’m not a DJ, but have bought a VL12 for listening purposes only.

I love the sound and the looks of it, but have encountered a few issues.

The unit produces a weird humming sound, when the LED ring is turned off. When the LED ring is on, at either low or high, the humming noise is gone.

When the motor is running, it makes a low but audible electric whistling noise. It’s completely independent of the platter rpm, and not a mechanical noise from the bearing etc.

When the unit is turned off at the power button, sometimes there’s a loud “pop” through the output to the amplifier.

When connected to the mains, but still turned off, the cueing light flashes every 90 seconds.

Are these things just normal “features”, or is my VL12.

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

do you have still the problem with the electric whistling noise?

Greets from Germany.

Hi Sorry for this very late answer. Yes, and no. The first unit died about a month ago and I have just got a new one a few days ago. It too makes a funny noise when the light is turned of, but otherwise it’s silent. Best regards Ulrich

A month ago, my first unit died completely. The tone arm, suddenly started to skip like crazy, and no adjustment fixed the problem. It was shipped to the sellers repair shop, but they apparently gave up on fixing it. The seller don’t have these for sale anymore, so I got my money back.

Just bought a new unit, (For 160€ less than the first one :slight_smile: ) which arrived Friday. It has two issues. The same funny noise, when the LED ring is turned off. I can live with that, as I keep it turned on all the time. What’s worse, is that the tonearm have an issue too. Towards the end of the record, about 4-5cm from the label, it often skips, backwards towards the edge. When it reaches the run out groove, it always skips a cm or so, play the last few seconds of the record, hits the run out groove, and skips over again. Some kind of anti skating issue, I guess. Adjusting the anti skating to the right setting, seem to make matters worse. I have decided to keep the turntable, as I like it very much and I’m going to try to fix it at some point. Maybe it’s possible to replace the arm with a good one, instead of this piece of junk.

Hello @Quincy, sorry to hear about your unit. I must insist on reaching out to our Technical Support team, who will be happy to help! If you haven’t done so already, please submit a Support Request via the website below: https://www.denondj.com/support

Does anyone ever opened up a VL12 to look inside? Does this unit have double sided PCBs, highest quality cables and cable routing inside? If not…you know what to do.

I just purchased one of these turntables back in September refurbished B stock everything came like it was brand new! But here it is a month into owning the thing or so and I just noticed that the gimbal is super sloppy it moves up and down like a half an inch and it’s basically just floating there and my needle is skipping at the beginning of Records so is that normal for the gimbal to be kind of loose and move up and down a little bit under the pivot screw