BPM times in engine prime

I’m seeing some minor improvements dont get me wrong.

But as previously suggested it will be handy to have a quick way to adjust this odd bpms

I’ve suggested a coarse adjustment option using the + and - buttons in the grid edit tab in Engine Prime.

Its currently only making fine adjustments in 0.001 bpm steps.

As one is pressing the button you can see the beat grid spacing adjusting as the bpm is changing. Which is the perfect behavior.

They should just add a modifier option either using Shift or CMD or Option to make whole number changes ie 100-99-98-97-96 etc.

Currently it’s going like 100.000 > 99.999 > 99.998

I tried holding down the + or - to see if it will move faster.

I also tried various combo eg holding shift button, cmd button, option button.

5 Likes

New Soundswitch update.

Need proper bpm for this to work correctly

3 Likes

Incase anyone else is wondering what I’m talking about I just recorded a video, showing a previously unanalysed track with a bpm of 90.

I loaded it into a deck and it changed to 60

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjUaKGebG_mu2jszNMhcWL6zPpzK

17 May 2019 at 17_56 2019-05-17 17-58-00.mp4 (1.4 MB)

4 Likes

The new version seems to work a bit better.

I think so too, but its not there yet.

• Yes, but it should import bpm, beat-grid as well
  • No, frequently struggles with RnB, Hip Hop, Reggae etc. Great for House, Techno
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Probably. I have never used this
  • Beat-grid editor is Basic, Tempo editor is Basic
  • Yes (careful with this one, otherwise your 70bpm tracks will end up as 140bpm)
  • Yes (High bitrate flac as well)
  • My least favourite waveform color scheme, compared to other dj apps, but i’m getting used to it.
1 Like

Don’t forget we still don’t get variable bpm. Serato has had this for years.

They didn’t list this requested functionality in the EP technical details.

So I’m not going to hold my breath on that.

I doubt if it will be implemented any time soon.

Currently they have hedge their bets with Ableton style fixed warping for songs with fluctuating bpms rather than Serato, Rekordbox, Virtual DJ style variable beatgrid.

It’s June 29th of 2019 and this has not been fixed. Where is the priority in this? You need to copy Serato on this one.

1 Like

1000 likes plus infinity. Priorities =BPM integrity

Still, it’s a lot better than before. Let’s hope we get everything on the next firmware. I haven’t tried it yet, but still not possible to change bpm on the player, right?

Correct. Still not possible on the players. :thinking: I made my first request for this (others might have done it earlier) back in march 2018 I think it was, but yeah… Stuff takes time…

I just got a 3x5000M and X1800 setup - and loving it.

That is, until I came across this issue. I spin progressive house/trance, and this issue affects at least 10% of my collection.

When I import tracks from Rekordbox, the BPM (and grid) information is not imported - is there any trick to getting that to work during the import process? Keys are imported properly. I’m on the latest version of the Prime software, but on a 4.x release of Rekordbox.

I’d love to get this setup working properly, instead of having to return my new Denon’s…I appreciate any and all help you folks may provide.

Thank you very much,

Are you saying the BPM is not correctly calculated in 10% of your House/Trance collection?

Just curious what sort of BPM did engine return for some tracks ie double time, half time or 33% off or just a slight error?

I always assumed this bpm issue was just a hip hop/rnb/reggae thing.

Yeah, I did read your posts - and I wanted to point out that the issue is definitely not genre specific.

I get 156bpm in Prime 128bpm in Box, so it would appear that the measurement is also off by a heretofore unreported factor.

So can Prime import BMPs from Box collections, or is there no way to do that automatically?

No way to do this currently in Engine Prime. You are at the mercy of EPs bpm algorithm. Its all or none!

I play mostly hip hop, rnb, urban stuff and it was mostly folks playing similar styles (and open format) reporting the BPM issue, i assumed it was genre specific.

I do have very “non-cookie cutter” tracks in my collection, so it is probably correct that Prime works for formulaic tracks, while tripping on others which are more unique.

I have also seen this with Rekordbox, but at the rate of about 0.1%, which is about 100 times better than Prime’s 10% failure rate on average.

It is not reassuring at all that this issue has remained open for more than a year with no visible progress, or even the possibility of a workaround while a fix is being worked upon.

I love the motorized platters as I can properly mix the 0.1% with the comfort of turntable mixing - but this benefit is lost entirely if accurate BPMs are lost for so many more tracks.

My 45 day return window is rapidly running out, so I would very much appreciate an update or workaround or just an automated process to transfer accurate BPMs into Prime…

Forgive me @djfuzuli as I don’t have the 5000’s, I have the P4, BUT on the P4 if you have a track with BPM metadata embedded, the native built-in Engine on the P4 will use that to calculate the beat grid instead of trying to work the BPM out by itself. Gets rid of the problem that you are having right now. This feature will be coming to the desktop EP on the next version as I understand it. I hope that helps a little bit and that I haven’t misunderstood your issue :slight_smile:

That’s good to hear.

Do you have any thoughts on the time frame for that new version?

Perhaps I can write a software utility to encode BPM metadata into the track files, since a rekordbox XML export already contains all of that metadata, and it would be a trivial matter to parse that and then encode the metadata into a track file.

Does anyone know what tag is used for this? An example file with metadata information that I can download would also help.

I use a similar utility to what you plan on writing. It’s good to have options anyways. If you need testers for yours give a shout.

Oh really, what is that you use?

My tool is ready - I would welcome testers at this time.

After doing a little more internal testing, I will make it available for download directly as well!

One question - what happens if there’s no grid information imported into Engine Prime?

My tool writes BPM accurately as saved by Pioneer; but it cannot help with the grid…