BPM Detection Algorithm accuracy EP v1.5, very disappointed

Those things are not necessary. They’re not requirements. There’s no “DJ law” that says a DJ must alter the structure of the track, set loops, rolls, add FX or otherwise mess up what the artist intended. Even beat mixing is not something that has to be done.

It’s perfectly possible to entertain a crowd simply by playing the music they like. Unaltered.

It’s highly unlikely that anyone is going to approach the DJ at the end of the night and complain that there were not enough loops, or that the FX were not up to Pioneer standard.

Don’t get the wrong impression though. I’m not saying those things as a cop-out. I am perfectly capable of DJing in that fashion, should it be required. Mostly though, it isn’t (IME).

What about the “y u no beat match by ear” rule (or law) that folks tend to invoke in each and everyone of these “beat grids / bpm threads”.

1 Like

If you look at my profile it’s definitely not only music from the last decade, but that’s not the point. Lots of us have wide collections and styles. EP before 1.5 was just not very good. The accuracy of bpm was not only what you describe, but also dealt about the downbeat detection and the “33%” offs.

The other software brands also have the flexible or warping beat grid option. EP still doesn’t. EP can only contract or expand the grid at the moment.

What Mufasa means is that the above mentioned “expand or contract” editing is not possible on the hardware (yet).

EP is still not there regarding bpm etc. My experience is that 1.5 does a better bpm job across the board and I’m not alone on this. If you experience it otherwise, then that’s, in my opinion, an exception looking at the different comments. However, it’s good to share all this info. It all helps us.

It expands or contracts - but it can do that for individual portions of track, so it’s “flexible” in a way.

It is frustrating though that it can’t even be adjusted in/out on the hardware.

Haven’t tried it anymore, but when setting a marker, the bpm for that section is still fixed to the main bpm or…??

Anywhere you see the grid starting to drift, set an anchor there, which effectively locks everything to the left of it, so you can then pull/push the grid on the right of the anchor to line it up again.

Keep moving to the right and adding more anchors where the grid starts to drift, then adjust in/out on the RHS and carry on like so.

The one track I’ve done so far (it’s very tedious having to go through manually) showed no signs of audible artifacts after doing this. That could just be because it wasn’t majorly drifting in the first place, but it certainly sounded better than examples of the previous system which were posted.

2 Likes

Yeah played with it before and with some tracks it was just too fast drifting away or had sudden speed change, needing to set too much anchors indeed. I’ll revisit them and see if it has been improved since then.

You need to be careful and if possible get an anchor in at the end of the track early doors, otherwise if you have lots of anchors within the track the end speeds up rapidly And you end up needing an anchor every beat.

That’s warping. Doing that will fix the track to a steady BPM.

For the track in question, the way to fix even without knowing the original BPM in EP is to scrub to the last quarter of the track and expand the beatgrid there.

Since it’s a quantized track that will sort out all the shift. As the first downbeat marker is already on the downbeat. Beat 1.

So still like I said then??

I disagree. Warping (like Ableton Live) is moving the audio to fit the grid. Denon’s method is (like most DJ software) moving the grid to fit the audio. The audio doesn’t move, only the grid moves.

well, one way to test is to record an engine prime gridded or warped track

An execption? you are truly incredible. there are more dissatisfied customers here than in a restaurant with an expired menu. and even before the evidence, continue to defend the indefensible rather than recognize the large gaps of this brand in particular with this software medium called Engine. insufficient BPM analysis, non-existent smart crates, relocate missing tracks not received … also a forum with a serie of fake users such as pkdj (which does not exist), engell (which does not exist) … come on boys, go to write in a footwear forum where maybe you can defend something.

2 Likes

@PKtheDJ, @Engell. I think “he and his buddy” mean you two.

Sorry, you’re added to the non-existent list by Mr. Fantasy. Seems only when you have a social media profile, you are a real person…

Ohh I have a social media profile and I am very real :rofl:

And I bet that if this Pioneer staff-troll would use the forum the correct way, he would actually see that I have been a very loud person because of the issues I had with the MCX8000 back in the days.

But Denon has since then improved on many levels, and should be acknowledged for that. :pray:

Sure, there is still areas that needs to be worked on… But guess what… They do!

@max_stereomode - you are more than welcome to take a look at my Facebook. Just search for Kim Engell.

Pictureproof that I’m real :joy: :

1 Like

I don’t exist? So my birth certificate is fake? OMG! :laughing:

If you are under the impression that my account has been created by Denon DJ or some associated person, you could not be more wrong if you tried - and you are very trying.

Many of my posts here have been flagged. Sometimes just for trivial one-line jokes. I have also previously defended you or your posts, and been scalded for it.

The previous (unofficial) Denon forum even banned me completely at one point, then restricted my posting by having everything be vetted by a mod before it appeared. The vetted posts would be delayed by hours/days, be heavily edited or not appear at all. My participation was effectively useless (please, no comments about “it still is” LOL).

I sometimes buy Denon kit. That’s the only link.

Of all the people that he could accuse of being a Denon stooge, you are definitely not one of them!!

I’ve been banned from the old forum as weel and only recently got allowed back on their Facebook pages :joy:

So we are the wrong persons accusing being fake :joy:

I guess i haven’t done enough to get a ban yet, but i’ve been called to the headmasters office once. Sounds like an exclusive club now!

My take

1. Most folks will look for the forums when they are having issues (i did following my less than stellar experience with the MCX8000)

2. Then there is the cycle of disgust - rage - learned helplessness - profitability

3. I’ve been here long enough to remember the earliest postings of many and then the inevitable change (adjustment).

4. Denon and official mods should always act maturely when responding. Customers complaining is nothing personal if you think about it (most of the time)

I trust that Denon is working hard to continue improving the Software and Hardware so every style of customer can get what they need to do their jobs.

As you were lads & lasses

1 Like

Well spoken :pray: