BPM changing while playing after matching beat

Mine neither, unless I’ve beat gridded myself.

Reset the grids in Prime, then reanalyse the track, it shouldn’t drift in the slightest, mine never have.

If both tracks are played at 0 pitch, and it’s the same track, this shouldn’t drift at all.

Well if you mix by eyes, than yes it will “drift”. If you mix by ear it won’t, because you would have set your pitch right.

The test is instant double. If that drifts then it would be a device fault. If it doesn’t, it’s the fault of the DJ.

4 Likes

Love some drifting, after all, it’s the joy of pitch bending/beatmatching :slight_smile: For me thats normal behaviour, setting displayed bpm on both decks won’t warrant the exact same bpm on any brand of decks. I personally find pitch great on Denons, playing mostly melodic techno and progressive house I keep it at 4% range, enabling great fine tuning of pitch/bpm

Im glad yours arent. having used the ddj1000 with the same tracks, the 5000s that i have definitely have a drift. My 1200s also have less of a drift. Ive played around with vinyl mode and the tension. Nothing seems to help. Maybe its the bpm algorithm or something? It would be nice to have them a little tighter. I still love the setup but they definitely have a drift.

Love some melodic techno! Definitely a great setup. I have no problem beat matching by ear. Ive been using 1200s since 94. Im just pointing out what i have seen with the denon setup.

Doesnt seem like he wants to answer you! Lol

I think you have a problem reading, but that’s okay.

Internet warrior lmao

Pfff, I don’t have time for an 8 hour flight to tell you in the face that you’re wrong. I answered Shain directly, so what’s your point here fellow internet warrior?

No one here shows a video of the drifting using zero pitch or instant double. If it does, it will be looked into in firmware or hardware. BPM value display has nothing to do with it. Pitch resolution does.

3 Likes

I answered “I don’t know”, but we can both test our hypotheses:

Instant double a track; it will stay in sync. Now change the pitch on one of the decks, but within the same BPM value (So other pitch % value; same BPM value). It will go out of sync, so it’s a rounded BPM display value.

Edit: Removed off-topic replies.

Sorry but I’m not convinced. As I stated before, if the software copies the exact values of one track and uses it for the instant double, then there would/should never be a drift.

As for playing the track without touching the pitch, well, who is to say that the original 120BPM track is not sitting at 120.09 on the deck but I’m seeing 120.0 on the display?

Since you’re a mod here, you should reach out to someone internal and ask about this.

Gotta say, one thing that’s been annoying on this forum has been, when we all ask questions and have to speculate and no one from Denon steps in to clarify. It’s nice that we have a mod now (you) but if you don’t have access to get official answers, then we might as well all be mods :expressionless: Even tagging one of the denon guys doesn’t get us a response unless it’s PR related it seems.

1 Like

Just because 2 tracks display the same BPM on the unit doesn’t mean they are, because of pitch percentage.

The resolution of the pitch fader is much greater than is displayed on the screen in BPM value. The pitch change percentage is also present so I would suggest loading the same track, whether by instant double or not doesn’t matter, and match the pitch change percentage. Then see if it drifts.

3 Likes

Thanks all of you guys! I tried it and it was my fault. It helped to look at the percentage of the pitch at the display, it does have two decimal numbers, so I did more fine adjustment on the pitch fader and everything worked.

Bit frustrating that I didn’t come along with this solution, but you helped me a lot, thanks!

4 Likes

Great!!

In the meantime I’m trying to get the 2 BPM decimals back in the GUI.

7 Likes

It would be nice if you could tap the BPM value on the touch screen to toggle between 1 and 2 decimal place display to keep everyone happy.

I think 3 decimal places is a little over the top.

1 Like

My Bad, i meant 1 and 2 decimal points :grin:

I think this is why i have to nudge every mix all the time.

1 Like

Yeah, just take a closer look at the 2 decimal pitch % changes within the same BPM value for the time being to get better “sync”.