[RESOLVED] Deck 2 Platter Locked (no playback) After Updating to v1.5.2

Denon asked me for my name & address and contact details some time ago in order for an engineer to get in touch and nothing has happened.

The symptoms of this issue strongly indicate that this is a software problem… when this issue occurs all that happens is the play button stops responding… im pretty sure this is a bug… everything else is working… As other users have stated, even the cue points jump to the position in the song, it just doesnt actually play… its like its some sort of NaN error or other out of range error in the sync/timing code.

I thought I had this problem too, however it turns out that If you play a song from a crate, you can’t play it again. Playlist not a problem.

Now that’s interesting. Would other people who had this “won’t play” thing find that it’s a “can’t play again” issue.

Obviously, you should be able to play whatever you want, as many times as you want at any event but this attention to detail, of what steps lead to this fault showing up should really be able to help the firmware teams

Certainly not the case with the Prime 4 - I just tried it. Seems odd then that it should behave differently on the Go.

See: Differences between Crates and Playlists

I just ran into this issue for the first time, I’ve been using my Prime Go for a couple of months and had never encountered it before, but about 3/4 through a mix one of the tracks I loaded on deck 2 froze up, the Play button would toggle between solid & flashing but nothing would happen, other controls like moving around nudging etc worked just fine. I could even load the track on Deck 1 and play it but Deck 2 would not play until I shut the player down and restarted it.

So I caught a video of the bug once it happened. Actually yesterday it happened to me two times in a row:

• The first time part way through the set (luckily just practicing - not performing)
  • I rebooted, went back to the same position in my set I was working with. I started playing Deck 2, used a cue point to get towards the end then Vinyl mode to move the track a bit and it immediately froze. The video covers the state immediately after it froze up.

Some things to note (which will hopefully help with debugging)

• When the Deck is “Frozen” you can still use Vinyl Mode and move around, but and the Play button toggles state but the track will not play
  • You can load the same track into Deck 1 and it will play (and yes I ran into this bug both with Playlists and Crates, so it’s not a Crate thing)
  • I had Sync on at the time
  • The only way to get out of the state is to reboot the unit

This part may be complete speculation… I was trying to figure out why I hadn’t encountered the bug in 2 months of using the device at Firmware level 1.5.2 (02f0d86a) The only thing I can think of was that yesterday I changed a few of my preferences on the device. I had changed the following settings:

• Needle Lock to Off
  • Default Loop Size to 8
  • Cue Solo Mode On

After the bug hit me twice in a row I reset all my settings to default and haven’t seen the bug again since. Of course, this may be completely unrelated but it’s the only connection I could make.

Please let me know if I can get you any logs off the device to help with debugging.

2 Likes

The video shows exactly the same behaviour as with my Prime Go.

1 Like

I thought I had this problem too, however it turns out that If you play a song from a crate, you can’t play it again. Playlist not a problem.

Thanks this seems where the bug is happening. Have the same issue with playlist.

Brand new unit and has happened to me a few times. There is no common behavior I can find that makes this happen but I have to restart the unit each time to unfreeze the deck. (always deck 2) Very disappointing as I don’t trust the unit to use in a performance capacity.

1 Like

So as one person says “playlist not a problem” and another says “same issue with playlist” , does that mean that playlists are not really a deciding factor with this?

My Prime Go just came in with 1.4.1 software, but I’m debating whether to update or not since we don’t have access to previous firmware versions. Was the Deck 2 freezing issue due to the update (1.5.2)? or was it a crate feature so you don’t play the same song twice?

1 Like

do not update!!!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in to provide a bit of hope here. We’re currently testing platter touch improvements for the PRIME GO with our private beta team. So far have seen positive results from this and will make everyone aware once we release publicly. We expect these improvements to be part of the next (v1.6) release.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that all of our capacitive touch platters go through a calibration cycle during the power on/boot-up sequence. During this calibration period (~20sec), it is recommended not to touch the platters as they are detecting/sensing various conditions of the environment and adjusting the touch algorithm as needed to provide the best experience for your environment. I’m not suggesting this is what is causing the issue, just something to be mindful of.

2 Likes

hi jwill, in the instructions is indicated?

We cross fingers! Thanks and Happy Christmas!

I noticed that if we change in Utility, the “Nudge Sensitivity” setting to Low or Mid, High or Max, the problem can be very easily reproduced and it will be present only on the right deck. On the Denon forum they say that when you turn on the Prime Go, you must not touch the jog wheels during the first 20 seconds when starting up, to allow time for them to perform a calibration. However, I am 99% sure that nobody manipulates the jog wheels when starting the Prime Go.

Maybe the nudge sensitivity does not need to be set to Max or high … but to Low or Mid then you will have to restart the Prime Go.

The Nudge Sensitivity function may have a very different behavior from one medium to another “External SSD, SD card or USB key” and depending on its setting ???

Hi @DjMell26 - thanks for the feedback.

Are you saying you can cause the platter to lockup just by changing the setting or that a particular setting causes the behavior to occur more frequently? If a particular setting, which one?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to show in the image (aside from the preference) but a video would be more helpful I think.

This can also happen inadvertently with a forearm while reaching over the unit to press the power button. As I said, it’s something to be mindful of.

Hello JWill, indeed the photo I put is there to show where the “Nudge Sensitivity” function is located!