Better FX selection

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have?

Either the ability to (in preferences) select which FX you would like to have available (disabling the ones I don’t ever use)

— AND/OR —

As you turn the FX selector knob, a list shows on the main display, showing your current position and the order of the FX.

• How will this feature help you and others?

There are a lot of FX to choose from (thank you!) and (hopefully) more coming! But this can be challenging when trying to switch between FX quickly, especially when they’re not adjacent. By having the ability to “remove” some of the effects I never use or more easily see where I am in the list and which way to turn the knob, I would be able to use multiple FX more effectively. Currently, I often leave the FX on reverb and hardly touch others as finding a new effect takes too long when I’m mixing quickly.

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product?

This is available on Pioneer’s XDJ RX/RX2 and CDJs, as the FX selector knob has the target effect physically painted on the unit, making switching effects almost instant.

• Does a workaround currently exist?

No — you have to scroll through until you find what you’re looking for.

• How often would you use this feature?

Literally every time I play.

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add?

This is my single biggest issue with the Prime 4, as it prevents me from using many FX that I would otherwise love to play with.

11 Likes

That would be a great option to be able to disable what you don’t use. Yes please!

2 Likes

Yeah same… we need alot more effects imo::: the 11 effects on the prime 4 isn’t enough and as u say if we could see the effects on the screen would be brilliant.

1 Like

I think what the first poster is saying is that there are so many effects of the Prime 4 that we need to be able to remove some of the existing ones from the already long list of fx - so we can get to just the fx we want quicker

Yes I know!! But what I’m saying there could be, say 50 effects on there coz it part of the processor. And yes! would need to be integrated with the screen and if u could remove ones u don’t use then that would be mint. I really do hope they work on the effects section in the future it could be sooo much better.:+1:

1 Like

I agree, I tend to leave the fx on the 2 that I like the most (one each side) purely because it’s a mission trying to find the others that I like. You turn & turn to the right only to discover you should’ve been turning left. Then you turn & turn to the left only to accidentally go past the one you wanted. Currently it’s not very user friendly.

And the thing is we have awesome touch screens that would allow for all kinds of fancy FX options!

But besides that point yes, would love some better FX and ways to deal with the ones we already have. : )

You turn & turn to the right only to discover you should’ve been turning left. Then you turn & turn to the left only to accidentally go past the one you wanted.

Beautifully sums up my original post! So many times where I want to throw on some flanger or something before a drop but I’m on reverb or something and can’t find it in time. Then, when mixing to the next track, I want to reverb out of the drop, but now I’m on something random like autogate or scratch, and I can’t pull off a nice reverb transition in time.

I’d love to be able to just have reverb, delay, phaser and flanger (and distortion hopefully!). I’ll probably never use beatbreak, scratch, autogate, forwards, or backwards roll.

And… to put the cherry on top, the knob that you turn is directly in front of the screen, which is tiny. So between the knob & my fingers turning it, you cant see that little display very well either.

It’s a shame that that little FX selector knob could have had detents so you can feel a jump every time you move forward one fx just like the DJMs and XDJ. But this option really helps to minimize the options to what we actually use as individuals. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to throw on say a reverb or roll but knew I didn’t physically have enough time to find the right fx before the section of the song that would have benefited was passed. It makes me look like a monkey fumbling around on the deck for something I end up not even using much of the time.

Write down the order of the FX (yes, on paper), then copy until information is retained. Takes a bit of effort but that’s all, muscle memory will do the rest.

there are still no detents in the knob and no printed fx on the top plate which means regardless if you know their order you still have to look at the screen to select your FX. It’s a sparkle pony problem

On-screen fx selection is really the answer here. Just give us an effects screen where we can select & adjust wet/dry & parameters of the effects - problem solved… for effect selection anyway.