Beatport Link - No internal recording allowed?

Topic says it all. Does that make sense? I mean i can easily record the set via line-in to a PC anyway?

Via Line there are no restrictions. Only the internal recording isn´t working.

Yes, because music is copyrighted. You are not permitted to make recordings of it.

This applies particularly to streaming services, where you are renting the music. The music is not yours to record. It’s bad enough if you record anything you don’t hold the copyright to - worse still if you then upload it to share with others.

1 Like

Im a vinyl DJ since early 90s and i do know about all the copyright rules and theyre just fine. I just wanted to say that this is another useless restriction cause if i want to record and share i could do it anyway....so it doesnt make sense in my opinion but of course i know it does to Denon and Beatport.

BTW: Even when you bought the tracks you are not allowed to put any DJ-Mix online for public downloading and/or streaming if you don`t have the lables agreement. This is why ppl put their mixes on Mixcloud since they do have contracts with GEMA, ASCAP, BEMA e.g.

No, this is the copyright owners protecting their material. They have every right to do that.

You could do it anway, yes. You could also choose to go through a red light. Does that make traffic signals a “useless restriction”?

2 Likes

Dude you don`t get me. “Useless” (political way) cause of if “bad people” want to rip it they do it anyway cause its more than easy. I already posted that i can totally dig the copyright holders point (i produced tracks myself btw).

I just say its just for the “contracts” (and still right) and it will change nothing…

1 Like

Your first post asked whether it made sense, which implied that you didn’t know why it was not possible to record.

We can only reply to the words people use in their posts.

Restricting recording of streamed music does change something. It makes it harder to make a recording. It (hopefully) makes people realise that they shouldn’t do it. It satisfies the copyright holders.

No you cannot record internally, digital way.

Yes you can record externally, analog way.

DENON has to deactivate the recording of streaming, because they hadn´t had get the contract with the streaming provider if they had leave this feature activated.

There. Done. Dusted

1 Like

How can i record with my Prime 2 on Windows? Is there Hardware requierd or only Software?

1 Like

You can record directly on the Prime 2. You don’t need to involve Windows. Details in the manual.

What you cannot do is record from Beatport Link (see my earlier post Beatport Link - No internal recording allowed? - #3 by PKtheDJ).

I know how to record the internal way. But i want to record external with Beatport Link. I dont want to upload or something else but i want hear the work i made. That is very important for me. I have to check what was good, where was the mistake.

With Beatport link, i have the opportunity to test other Genres, not only Techno. But without checking what i have done, is this senseless.

Thats why i’m asking how to record extern. The Quality makes no matter for me. I just want to evaluate my Set.

From the Beatport terms & conditions:

Without the prior written consent of Beatport or the applicable copyright holder, and except as provided in this Agreement, no Content may be transmitted, distributed, translated, publicly displayed, uploaded, published, recorded, retransmitted, rented, sold, distributed, digitized, endorsed, reproduced, altered to make new works, performed, or compiled in any commercial way.

As stated in the earlier post, Beatport music is rented. It does not belong to you. Therefore you are not permitted to record it.

Strictly speaking, you shouldn’t be recording copyrighted music even if you bought it.

Without the prior written consent of Beatport or the applicable copyright holder, and except as provided in this Agreement, no Content may be transmitted, distributed, translated, publicly displayed, uploaded, published, recorded, retransmitted, rented, sold, distributed, digitized, endorsed, reproduced, altered to make new works, performed, or compiled in any commercial way.

This is always my favourite line from any streaming service. All streaming services have this clause. ‘Performing in a commercial way’ basically says “for home use only”.

We had this debate on the Serato forums a few years back when Pulselocker launched and IIRC Beatport stated something about “public performance prohibited” or something like that. The debate surrounded what was public and what was private.

‘Technically’ a DJ should pay royalties for playing music in public, but the labels overlook it.

I’m about to date myself;

Over 30 YEARS AGO I read an article about a DJ in Boston that was sued by a record label for recording mixtapes and selling them. They later relaxed a bit as they saw the cassettes as a means for marketing. Perhaps one day they’ll see the benefit in livestreams, etc, and have DJ’s click on some type of on-screen user agreement for use of the music.

Then you need a something like a Zoom H2 standalone recorder or PC+usb audio interface combo (I would recommend behringer uca202).

Other good recorders are the Evermix box and the Reloop Tape 2.

https://www.reloop.com/reloop-tape-2

Both come recommended from many users and the Evermix box can upload to Mixcloud/Soundcloud. Of course I wouldn’t advocate anyone recording any Beatport service though as that is against their terms and conditions.

As I understand the EULA that comes with a purchased Download, you have rights to perform live 1) U can record this audio- even share the recording on a Streaming platform but you CANNOT allow Downloads. That’s when it becomes “Distribution.”

2:) NO credit is claimed by DJ for Musical Content & Artists are properly credited. I always strive to provide buy links for a Tracklist.

3:) Whether a Platform will allow you to Stream using their service is at their discretion. Most won’t, they assume we’re all plagarists & legal timebombs.

I think Performance Djs need to be more assertive in terms of having “Rights” to our unique Live Performance Mixes. At the end of the day, its the Performance Art - & the moments it generates, that we have a claim to.

What’s to stop the DJ just ‘recording’ a track then storing it in their library, and how would preventing this be managed?