Beat Gridding on Engine Prime...Help/Clarification needed

I have quite a lot of songs that the bpm is off.

It’s the same with every DJ software they don’t all get it right.

My usual method with Serato DJ and Rekordboxdj is to set place a beat marker on the down beat and then expand the beat grid or contract it. This method will change the BPM to the correct value.

I’m not trying to grid tracks with fluctuating bpm.

When I click the Set Beat Marker sign in Engine Prime the rest of the controls grey out including the BPM.

As I can’t see a icon to contract or expand the “beat grid spacing” i tried using the +/- sign under the BPM display but it increases/decreases in .001 value.

I tried holding shift to see if it will change in whole numbers that didn’t work either.

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Not sure it is the correct method, but I go through manually adding beat markers when the start to drift out; some tracks need them every 3 bars, some only mid-way and at the end of the track. It does cause fluctuations in th BPM as the track moves through, so no good in sync mode.

1 Like

I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. I have several tracks (early 90ies CD rips, vinyl rips) where the BPM is clearly in the 120s range and Engine Prime says the tracks are 82, 93, 99 etc. and there is no way (at least I am not getting it in the software and on the player, please help me understand) where I can set the BPM (and the grid to the first beat).

I tried several things but the grid is always snapping to a different position and if this isn’t corrected in a software update, this software (and the corresponding players, if you really want to sync 2 tracks in the machine) is rendered useless. The main selling point for me is that you have only one player at home so you can try out mixing with loops, cue points, etc. but due to wrong BPM this isn’t possible for some tracks and that ■■■■■ big time.

2 Likes

Just a quick bump for the main guys in Denon to show some love to Engine Prime.

Open up the software beatgridding function to users for tighter adjustment. I don’t mind Engine Prime not getting the BPM correctly if there was a easy way for DJs to make the adjustments. Serato or Rekordboxdj style.

Right now, we have neither.

BPM is not correct some time with no easy way to change it.

1 Like

In ver 1.2.3 you can type in the BPM or tap it from the grid tab. You can also “warp” the track by using the button that looks like the grid tab button. It drops a new grid line at the cursor. It’s been working great for my older drifting tracks.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried gridding in 1.2.3

1.2.2 does that grid on the play head line as well but as I progress further into the track …mostly around the last few bars, it stops placing the grid line on the play head. E.g. it can place it further away from the spot o want it.

I will try 1.2.3 to see if indeed they snuck in some improvement.

Good looking out.

Tapping is tenuous.

Agree that tapping is not the best. I use iTunes as my music library so I just look in iTunes for the BPM and type it into the BPM on the grid tab. I also was using Traktor, so I can also look there for the BPM of tracks. There’s still some issues with Traktor library integration in Engine Prime, though, so I’m being very careful with that.

I use this as well, only issue is that the final BPM isn’t sound, so loops drift quite a lot - good job I learnt to DJ with my ears!!

1 Like